Broncos' Brock Osweiler was ready to replace Peyton Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Brock Osweiler was ready to replace Peyton Manning

Interesting. Not really surprising. If we only had 15 seconds or so left with the ball back there's no way Manning has the arm anymore to throw a huge hail mary.

Brock Osweiler wasn't warming up so he could say, "Hi mom!" on TV.

The rookie quarterback was coming in if the Broncos got the ball back in the final seconds of their game Monday night against Atlanta.

"I was going in for the Hail Mary," Osweiler said. "I'm not sure what the dividing line was as far as me going in, but I was getting ready to go in."

Osweiler started warming up around the 2-minute warning with the Atlanta Falcons up 27-21. The Falcons had the ball at their 31, first-and-10 and a late punt likely would have given Denver the ball around its 25-yard line or so with seconds remaining.

Even on his best day, Broncos starting quarterback Peyton Manning couldn't outchuck the 6-foot-7, strong-armed Osweiler.

Osweiler would have to wait another time for his first NFL action, though, as Falcons' running back Michael Turner gained 15 yards with 1:54 remaining, allowing Atlanta to run out the clock with two kneel downs by quarterback Matt Ryan.
    Meanwhile, a day after John Fox nearly blew two or three gaskets trying to sort out the officiating from his team's loss Monday night, the Broncos' coach had calmed to the point he would not air his grievances publicly.

"I get upset with officials anytime a call goes against us," Fox said by conference call Monday. "That's not new for me. It's a competitive game played by competitive people."

The primary difference in the game was Manning threw three, first-quarter interceptions for only the second time in his 15-year career while Ryan delivered a turnover-free, two touchdown pass performance.

The Falcons took a 27-7 lead into the fourth quarter, but Manning added two touchdown drives that brought the Broncos within "Hail Mary" distance.

The on-field performance that generated the most discussion Tuesday morning, though, was that of the replacement officials. Among other problems, a defensive holding penalty against the Falcons was marked off as an 11-yard

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning against Atlanta. More photos. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
    gain for the Broncos when it should have been 5.

There also was a fumble recovery awarded to the Falcons when it appeared the Broncos came away with it, a controversy that included a lengthy pushing, shoving and shouting exchange between players, Broncos coaches and the officials.

"In this game, you win or lose, you've got to try to overcome a lot of different things," Fox said. "What we report to the league, our comments on that, is in-house material. I can't comment and won't as far as what we did and what we didn't do, what was right and what was not right. That's pretty much our policy."

The Broncos also made changes to the back-end of their roster Tuesday, placing rookie center-guard Philip Blake on injured reserve and calling up guard-center C.J. Davis from the practice squad.

Davis had been demoted from the 53-man roster to the practice squad last week.

Offensive tackle Adam Grant was signed back to the practice squad, where he had spent his rookie season of 2011.

Blake, a fourth-round pick in this year's draft, had not been active in the Broncos' two games. He suffered an injury during practice Friday.

Read more: Broncos' Brock Osweiler was ready to replace Peyton Manning - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz26rK2CqCo
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...peyton-manning

That's actually kinda funny.

It would have been a great story if his first ever NFL pass was a game winning Hail Marry.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post

It would have been a great story if his first ever NFL pass was a game winning Hail Marry.
      Would be a helluva memory for him haha

Comment

Interesting to think what would have happened had he come into the game and thrown a 75 yard game winner... 158.3 passer rating... what would we have done for the next game? Almost certainly stick with Manning, but it would have made Fox think!
        Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post

Like Rod Smith

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            Like Rod Smith
            Yep who needed a 3rd QB when you had our emergency QB Rod
            2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Osweiler was ready to throw final hail mary over Peyton Manning

Brock Osweiler was set to replace Peyton Manning on Monday night. He never got the chance.

Had the Denver Broncos forced a punt in the final minute of Monday's 27-21 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, Osweiler was in line to make one final desperation heave toward the end zone.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ail-mary-throw

Wow just wow.....I mean I already know what the responses will be. Manning is still rehabing he's not 100 percent etc.....this says alot either way you slice it. Its funny when Tebow scored that winning TD elway clapped, but you could tell he wanted throwin QB from the pocket....when manning threw those INTS they looked at Elway looking at what Manning was throwing in to had the whole screen lined up with the lines and cirlces...

Comment

This is a non-issue, if Brock can throw the ball 70 yards & Manning can throw maybe 55-60 then obviously if you have the ball at the 30 or 35 then who do you think would throw it? :doh:
                sigpic

Comment

How is this even a story?

Brock has a howitzer for an arm...
                  Peyton does not(nor has he ever)

Comment

Elway got himself a bird with a busted wing.

Comment

Brock Osweiler: I was ready to make Hail Mary throw

Brock Osweiler was set to replace Peyton Manning on Monday night. He never got the chance.

Had the Denver Broncos forced a punt in the final minute of Monday's 27-21 loss to the Atlanta Falcons ,Osweiler was in line to make one final desperation heave toward the end zone.

"I was going in for the Hail Mary," Osweiler said,via The Denver Post . "I'm not sure what the dividing line was as far as me going in,but I was getting ready to go in."

Osweiler began warming up on the sidelines late in the fourth quarter,but Michael Turner 's 15-yard run with 1:54 remaining allowed the Falcons to run out the clock.

This can viewed as an indictment of Manning's arm strength -- and surely it will be -- but the Broncos might have needed a 70-plus yard bomb to reach the end zone in a Hail Mary situation.

The Peyton Manning of 2002 couldn't do that, let alone the surgically remodeled version of 2012. At 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds,Osweiler was the hoss for the job.

Of course,if the Broncos were set up at midfield and Osweiler still trotted out,we're talking about a different story. Alas,we'll never know.
                      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ail-mary-throw

Imo Brock shouldn't even be saying anything but interesting none the less...

Agree with the idea if we had to surely throw a hail mary...but I do just wish he wouldn't talk about it...
                      Last edited by jetrazor74; 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Better to talk about it now and soften the blow should they need him to do it in the future.

Comment

I agree and he shouldn't say anything about it since there is already speculation that Manning's not 100 percent and what we witnessed on Monday kind of confirms it but Oz very much confirmed it.

Then again, nobody can chuck it 70 yards.

He has all the tools to be a QB in this league but he's not very smart guy if you watch Gruden't evaluation of him.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it. Throwing 1 hail mary pass, isn't bad he does after all have better arm than Manning does.

Also Manning not 100% healthy yet.
                            sigpic

Comment

Manning said, hey rook, I don't want 4 Ints on my stat sheet, your going in for this hail marry.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X