X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP: Peyton Manning is mad, which is great news for Broncos

I hope this rings true on Sunday

Link

There's only one way the Broncos beat Houston on Sunday: Peyton Manning is going to have to dress up his wobbly passes so they look prettier than the tight spirals thrown by Houston quarterback Matt Schaub.

The Texans are a stronger team than Denver.

So, for the Broncos to win, Manning needs to play more like a feisty legend than a 36-year-old quarterback whose arm strength is an open, festering topic of debate.

Hey, relax. He's working on it.

During the fleeting moments when practice was open to prying eyes on Thursday, Manning asked his pals in the media to step back from the field during a passing drill. Why?

"Those wobblers still hurt if they hit you in the head," Manning warned.

It was a zinger that would do any "Saturday Night Live" writer proud.

Even when Manning's passes lack zip his humor maintains its bite. Even when his performance on the field is less than razor sharp, there's a steely edge to Manning you've got to love.

Despite his well-deserved reputation for being cool under pressure, there's a molten competitiveness never far from the surface of Manning. He's a sore loser. And that's good, especially in a business where the line between success and failure is thin, even for players with Hall of Fame credentials.

When Manning falls short of awesome, we've discovered he can be PGM. Peyton Grumpy Manning.

In the aftermath of his first setback in a Broncos uniform, and it could certainly be argued Manning was the No. 1 reason for defeat, Peyton has displayed a prickly side.

Asked about his arm strength, Manning responded with a "whatever" any adolescent with an attitude could understand. Without being prompted, Manning wanted everybody to understand the proper reading of his body language on the sideline during the 27-21 loss in Atlanta was "determined" rather than "dejected."

With the same command he shows directing traffic and messing with the minds of defenders at the line of scrimmage, Manning likes to control the message. After three interceptions in Atlanta, the Hall of Fame quarterback momentarily lost his grip on the football narrative regarding his comeback from four neck surgeries.

Here's guessing Manning has work to do gradually erasing the self-doubt and overcoming the limitations faced by even great athletes toward the end of a career. But he would rather do the belly-button gazing in private, rather than having his every errant throw poked and prodded for telltale signs of sports mortality.

No less an authority than Broncos executive John Elway said the strong performance of Manning during the opening-night victory against Pittsburgh was precisely the positive reinforcement even an NFL legend needs. On the heels of looking oh-so-human against the Falcons, Manning now encounters undefeated Houston.

The Texans are described by Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio as "formidable." Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey rates Schaub on a par with the league's elite quarterbacks.

The last thing any athlete, especially a legendary athlete, wants to be seen as? Yesterday's news. Fair or not, Manning has two choices: Get his mojo back. Or stay stuck in the 24/7 churn of NFL speculation regarding the possible erosion of his skills.

I asked Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley, who has a long history with Manning, if he can tell when the veteran quarterback is ticked. "You can kind of look at him and tell," Stokley said. "It's pretty obvious."

It is obvious that for the first time, Denver has witnessed what Manning looks like when he's mad.

And somebody's got to pay.

Houston, you've got a problem.

sigpic

I like it. Assume for a moment that those interceptions were simply because the Falcons were able to confuse him as to what coverage they were going to be in post-snap. Now the whole media world is questioning the obvious possibility of it being related to his arm strength.

Sounds like Peyton will be a man on a mission Sunday. Houston better be calling mission control, cause I agree, they may have a problem.

Comment

I think so too. It doesn't hurt that Manning historically owns the Texans . I personally am not buying into all the Texans hype and especially their top-3 spot on most power rankings. They've beaten the Dolphins and the Jaguars, ell oh ell. Mediocre defenses on top of quarterbackless offenses. Two things that don't describe this team.

Comment

Hopefully anger puts a little more spin on the ball for those 20 yard passes down the middle of the field, frankly it looked like duck season Monday night. There is no doubt PM can command an offense, surgically tear a part defenses with short to medium range passes....but I have a feeling DBs are going to be playing up a lot closer to the line of scrimmage until Manning proves he has the down field issues from last week resolved.

Comment

I don't see why everybody is so quick to write Peyton off or blame him for the loss to the Falcons. Even with the 3 INTs, he still went 24/37 for 241 yards, which is not bad. The Falcons used a brilliant defensive scheme to totally disguise their coverages; I'd bet that any QB in the league would have thrown multiple picks in that game. I credit Peyton for figuring it out on the fly and playing well enough in the second half that the Broncos actually had a legitimate chance at the victory.

The real reason we lost that game was that our defense got outplayed. Yes, they had some short fields early due to the INTs, and they did a good job overall of shutting down Atlanta's running game. But they couldn't stop the passing offense and they were unable to come up with big plays when it mattered. The D was completely unable to pressure Matt Ryan--he was only sacked once, threw no INTs, and completed 67% of his passes. We got ZERO turnovers; Atlanta's defense got four. On key downs, like the TDs to Gonzalez and White, the receivers were completely alone when they caught the ball for scores. The pass defense failed just as much, if not more, than Manning did, and at least Manning recovered and put together a good second half.

Comment

Well, don't you think the Texans will have a bad taste in thier mouth going against Peyton? He has owned them in the past, but the past is behind us. The current defense knows that they need to be at full speed this Sunday, and we shall see if this new D is more successfull aginst him. Us Texans fans respect Peyton and know first hand what he can do with a football. I watched ten years of home games against the Colts, and when we did beat him, it was wonderfull. But that too is behind us. Fresh start with new D against Peyton with a new team. It will be quite interesting to see how it goes Sunday. I hope you guys play well, but fall short by at least 3 points....

Comment

Angry Peyton = Great News for the Broncos

Comment

If Houston is at all going to try to mimic the defense of Atlanta last week then Peyton needs to take advantage of the one on one coverage on the outside. Throw fades to Demaryius all day and let him use that huge frame to go up and get the ball. I have a feeling Peyton rebounds big on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Blitz View Post
                  Hopefully anger puts a little more spin on the ball for those 20 yard passes down the middle of the field, frankly it looked like duck season Monday night. There is no doubt PM can command an offense, surgically tear a part defenses with short to medium range passes....but I have a feeling DBs are going to be playing up a lot closer to the line of scrimmage until Manning proves he has the down field issues from last week resolved.
                  Have you ever watched Peyton play outside of these first two games?? It may not be pretty, but he gets the ball where it needs to go.
                  Don't give up... Don't ever give up

Comment

Originally posted by IABronco05 View Post
                    Have you ever watched Peyton play outside of these first two games?? It may not be pretty, but he gets the ball where it needs to go.
                    He's been throwing ducks like that for years. The ball usually lands in the spot it needs to.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                      I don't see why everybody is so quick to write Peyton off or blame him for the loss to the Falcons. Even with the 3 INTs, he still went 24/37 for 241 yards, which is not bad. The Falcons used a brilliant defensive scheme to totally disguise their coverages; I'd bet that any QB in the league would have thrown multiple picks in that game. I credit Peyton for figuring it out on the fly and playing well enough in the second half that the Broncos actually had a legitimate chance at the victory.

The real reason we lost that game was that our defense got outplayed. Yes, they had some short fields early due to the INTs, and they did a good job overall of shutting down Atlanta's running game. But they couldn't stop the passing offense and they were unable to come up with big plays when it mattered. The D was completely unable to pressure Matt Ryan--he was only sacked once, threw no INTs, and completed 67% of his passes. We got ZERO turnovers; Atlanta's defense got four. On key downs, like the TDs to Gonzalez and White, the receivers were completely alone when they caught the ball for scores. The pass defense failed just as much, if not more, than Manning did, and at least Manning recovered and put together a good second half.
                      When Eli Manning threw 3 picks, he ended up having to go 31/51, for 510 yards and 3 TD's to pull out a win. So the fact Peyton needed MUCH less passing stats to pull out a win, is a testament to the defense and team.
                      sigpic

Comment

Probably true, he looked pissed in his PC on Wed.

And he's always throw ducks, as has Eli, it still gets there on time.

Comment

I don't see why everybody is so quick to write Peyton off or blame him for the loss to the Falcons.

The real reason we lost that game was that our defense got outplayed. Yes, they had some short fields early due to the INTs, and they did a good job overall of shutting down Atlanta's running game. But they couldn't stop the passing offense and they were unable to come up with big plays when it mattered.
                          What? The defense did a great job considering they had to deal with 4 turnovers in the 1st quarter. And there is more: Peyton Manning's offense produced zero points in the 3rd quarter, making the comeback extremely difficult. So, the issues on offense were not just limited to the 1st quarter.

Matt Ryan only threw for 219 yards and Julio Jones did not do much damage. And after all those turnovers in the 1st quarter, the Falcons were only able to put 10 points on the board, and the touchdown came from a drive that starter at the goal line. If we remove those 10 points generated by Manning's interceptions, the Falcons scored 17 points against the Broncos. So, the defense deserves their credit.

I imagine the reaction if Kyle Orton or You-Know-Who had 3 interceptions in the 1st quarter. It would be epic.

You can't remove the blame from a quarterback that threw 3 horrible interceptions in the 1st quarter and gave the opposing team great field position, multiple times, to build an early lead. I don't care if the quarterback is a project or a future Hall of Famer.

The Broncos punted the ball too many times for a team that had to recover from 4 turnovers in the 1st quarter. Britton Colquitt punted the ball 5 times. In the end, one punt made a huge difference, since Manning and the offense needed one more possession to win the game.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't see how you can blame the defense, they did a pretty good job given the circumstances.

13 points in the first off TO's, nearly held them to a FG or a 4th down attempt early on. Defense is the last thing to blame for the game.

Comment

Haha, Manning witha chip on his shoulder.. Look out Houston. He's gonna take it out on you. Get ready.
                              PROUND MEMBER OF THE MILE HIGH MANNING FIVEHEAD FAN CLUB! MEMBER #101!

Comment

Working...
                              X