• Show
Clear All

• Broncos LB D.J. Williams Q+A: The full interview

great read...

http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/02...ull-interview/

to large to post the whole thing.

:thumb:

Great interview.

I still think he can be a knucklehead at times, but I do feel he will be productive on this defense. I'm looking forward to his return.

Comment

If it were up to you, would you retire as a Bronco?
      Yes. That’s actually my plan, to retire as a Bronco. The crazy thing about it, when I was up for my second contract (in 2008), I spoke to (then-head coach Mike) Shanahan. He said, ‘Hey, I’m going to be honest with you. You’re probably not going to be the highest-paid guy in your position, but we’ll do the best we can to get you as close to that, and we’ll treat you right.’ And since I’ve been here, the Broncos organization – with whatever coach has been here – I’ve been treated fairly and I’ve been treated well. I enjoy the city. I like the fans. I like how the whole organization as a whole treats me, so if it was up to me, I would retire as a Bronco. I’m close friends with Rod Smith, and to see how he went through his career and his life, and the relationships that he built, I want to have the same thing.
      That's good to hear.
      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
      sigpic

Comment

DJ is certainly an interesting (and clearly misunderstood) person. I have always been a fan of his despite his off the field incidents. I certainly hope he gets his wish of retiring as a career Bronco. Hope he turns some heads once his suspension is up! He'll be a very valuable player down the stretch.

Here is the follow up article from the interview:
        http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/02...s-up-publicly/

This quote made me curious...
        “My coach tells me, ‘Hey, we’re changing your position; you’ve got to learn a new position over the weekend and you’re basically going to compete against somebody who’s been doing it for two, three months. And you’re fighting for a job,’” Williams said. “So, I woke up on my day off at nine in the morning, because I always like to write things down. I went and I got flash cards. So what I did was I took every defensive call. I wrote the call down. I wrote where I set in the front. I wrote where I (lined up). I wrote what I’m doing. I wrote what everybody else is doing. I wrote every check if they go to empty.
        What position was he switched to? I seriously doubt they had him competing with Miller on the strongside...

Comment

A lot of people give him alot of grief for no reason...He's been one of the few bright spots over the years on the defense and yet people just hate the guy for no reason....I understand he made a bad decision to tweet a defensive play but to say you want him off the team is ridiculous
          I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
            DJ is certainly an interesting (and clearly misunderstood) person. I have always been a fan of his despite his off the field incidents. I certainly hope he gets his wish of retiring as a career Bronco. Hope he turns some heads once his suspension is up! He'll be a very valuable player down the stretch.

What position was he switched to? I seriously doubt they had him competing with Miller on the strongside...
            MLB? one can hope!

Comment

That was a very good interview.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                A lot of people give him alot of grief for no reason...He's been one of the few bright spots over the years on the defense and yet people just hate the guy for no reason....I understand he made a bad decision to tweet a defensive play but to say you want him off the team is ridiculous
                you just pointed out several of the reasons he gets grief. He acts like a knucklehead off the field... and that rubs many people the wrong way. But that is the way it goes around here... go read the thread about Dooms legal issues.... when A player gets in trouble off the field the over reaction tends to go a bit far.

Comment

I've always loved DJ. Ive defended him here so many times. Hes been stupid with his DUI but i didnt get mad when he posted that play on twitter. The guy has been one of our top defenders the past couple of years. But for some reason people hate him so much.

I think once he gets back he will get eased in. He will probably play just a couple of plays vs. Chargers. Probably on running downs. Then will see his role increase as the season goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                    MLB? one can hope!
                    Yeah I hope that is the case as well. I could also see him lining up on the strongside with Miller on the line in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Den615 View Post

I'm just speculating here, but I think the plan was to swap Von Miller and DJ Williams. Weakside linebacker gets more action and tackling opportunities than strongside, so maybe they wanted Von Miller's freak talent to be showcased there. Again, I'm just speculating.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Real good interview.

I've defender DJ many times, he's a good guy, yes he's a knucklehead but he's been one of our best defenders in the past 5-6 years. I hope he retires a Bronco too, but i'm not sure if it happens.

Certainly will be a big boost when he returns.

Comment

I have heard, just hear-say, that he was going to compete with Von. If he beat out Von, I would assume they moved Von to DE opposite Doom.

Would that be a smart option once DJ come back? Would they put Von at DE and make DJ the SLB?
                          Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                            I'm just speculating here, but I think the plan was to swap Von Miller and DJ Williams. Weakside linebacker gets more action and tackling opportunities than strongside, so maybe they wanted Von Miller's freak talent to be showcased there. Again, I'm just speculating.
                            Well, Joe Mays was the only one I can think of who would have held a LB starting job for "two or three months".

I think we're gonna start seeing a lot more 5-2 looks...but at this point who really knows?
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Great interview.

I like DJ a lot. Hope he gets back his starting job. He's a great player.

He's been stupid at times, he's acknowledged that, but I'd still like him to retire a Bronco.
                              2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X