Another fine for Von Miller 25K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
    Look, I cannot stand Goodell. Everything that is happening is indicative that the NFL is VERY VERY VERY concerned about the law suits. Thousands of them. In order to combat those, it is imperative that they APPEAR pro active in making the game safer. That is what they mulling over.

It is the true nature of our overly litigious society. The fact is they have not made the game safer at all. It is all window dressing. The collisions are still there. Players are still bigger and stronger than ever. That isnt stopping. It is clear the NFL is more and more desperate. IF the lawsuits are successful, all of tackle football is in real trouble in this country.

That is what is happening in my estimation.
    I disagree. The players cannot sue the NFL for injuries such as knee, ankle, hip, arm, even head injuries. These are given injuries that all players understand may happen in football. The lawsuits that are pending are that the NFL, and the teams withheld how the effects of concussions would affect them later in life saying they were told it was no big deal.

And for the most part I do believe that they truly did not know until approximately 5-10 years ago how bad these things were to the players.

Now on to the new problem. THIS IS BIG BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!! When a team or really a team owner loses a star player to injuries their chances of winning go down drastically especially now with the salary cap. Goodell does what the owners want and is their mouthpiece.

What is wrong is the standards at which these fines and suspensions are being carried out. There are multiple standards at play here and fines for one player are different than another for the same infraction. Same can be said about suspensions, some players get suspended while others do not.

There is something wrong in this system when the person handing out fines and suspensions is also the same person hearing the appeals. Over turning a fine or suspension is admitting you were wrong in the first place so why would he change his stance as it only makes him look bad.

I think it has gotten to the point where the offense has such an advantage over the defense that there is no way you can stop the opposing team without a getting flagged for some penalty or another. A running back can rip a guys head off using the face mask but yet if the defense touches the face mask it is a penalty. Offensive line men have been taking out defensive players knees for years and no fines or suspensions until recently.

Defense falls or gets pushed into a QB and it is a penalty, fine or suspension.

The NFL has tried to make it to where the offense can score more points so it is more exciting for the fans to see more touch downs but what they have done has upset the purists that want the guys on the field to play football the way it was designed to be played.

Now I do not have a problem with trying to protect the players somewhat as the game has gotten faster and the equipment has improved which has caused an increase in injuries but they have got to try and find a way to make it fair for both sides of the ball and for the players trying to appeal their fines or suspensions.

I feel sorry for the defensive players as they are getting taken to the cleaners by the NFL & owners for doing the job they were taught to do by the NFL and the owners.

If I was a defensive player coming into the league now I would insist as part of my contract that the team pays for any and all fines and suspensions.
    sigpic
    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

How the NFL used to be before Goodell

The NFL with Goodell

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
        How the NFL used to be before Goodell

The NFL with Goodell

You gotta reach deep down, right down to your creamy center- that place, that place inside of you where all the gooy happy loving goo sits and you just gotta to use that to be the nicest most compassionate player you’ve ever been and let the world know you will not go down that easy
        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
          You gotta reach deep down, right down to your creamy center- that place, that place inside of you where all the gooy happy loving goo sits and you just gotta to use that to be the nicest most compassionate player you’ve ever been and let the world know you will not go down that easy

Comment

About sums up Goodell right here.

Comment

My first problem with all of these fines in the NFL is that there isn't a flag thrown on the majority of them! How can the NFL fine all these guys for what the Refs are calling as legal plays during the game, it does not make sense. If there is not a flag, then there should not be a fine.

Second of all, I doubt these fines would be this out of hand if it wasn't for the big lawsuit the NFL is facing. They're afraid of losing and want to make sure they do everything in their power to avoid future legal troubles like this. From this perspective its more understanding to see why the League is turning into flag football but it still tears at the heart of every fan who just wants to watch some good old fashioned football.

My opinion is that these football players should know what they signed up for. Its why they're getting paid millions and millions of dollars. Play the game how it should be played, acknowledge the fact you at risk of serious injury, and accept the fact that this is supposed to be tackle football and not two-hand touch. These new rules that overly protect the QB and offensive players in general are just absurd.
              sigpic
              Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

If I remember the play correctly, Miller didn't hit him in the knees. He hit him in the thighs. Does that mean no touching below the waste?
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

The SISSIFICATION of NFL Football continues. College is just as bad and as guilty! ALL the present Major sport Commishonera/DICTATORS need to go!!!! I used to have faith in NBA Commish, look what he is letting happening with the PLAYERS dictating who they want to play for, hence this Miami, Laker, Knicks superteams! I don't even want to get into that Major League Baseball lame brain, or the NHL, nobody hardly cares if they go , come back, stay locked out, whatever.

We are stuck with what we have in this commish though. Just hope he and the Owners who are ALL sadly greedy, do not move the Super Bowl, do NOT expand beyond the USA borders, and end there PAY PER VEIW CRAP immediatly! I will stop supporting the NFL with any of my $$$ if they do any of those things, and I wont be alone!
                  sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Geez, just read all the recent fines in the sports section. They are definitely collecting a pile of money for all those "illegal" hits.

I'm all for safety, but I don't agree with some of these infractions. I think The Commish should suit up for a game, and see if he can react differently than some of the players who have received fines. Well now, he'd be too slow or too cautious to even get involved, but if he was a true NFL calibre player, he'd realize that:

- all those years of training can not be turned off in a micro second
                    - when players are moving at top speed, and one makes a sudden shift, it's impossible for the other player to adjust, and in these cases, avoid a helmut hit or whatever the penalty is
                    - football is a violent game, played by super athletes. They are instinctive and experienced, and often they're choices are limited, due to time and situation. There needs to be some serious "flexibility" when calling penalties and handing out fines, because the player is at a real disadvantage....given the importance of their jobs (whereby a few mistakes and they're on the bench), and the need to follow through on committed action/reaction, otherwise they too face increased personal risk of injury.

Again, I never condone clear acts of misconduct. But let the guys play!

Comment

Goodell is ruining the game and in his own words ,"we haven't done enough yet". By the time he's done putting his mark on the game, it's going to be either flag football or a fine lottery. Maybe we should just move to Sarcastaball and call it a day

Get ready for more dumb changes
                      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by sbxxxiichamps View Post
                        My first problem with all of these fines in the NFL is that there isn't a flag thrown on the majority of them! How can the NFL fine all these guys for what the Refs are calling as legal plays during the game, it does not make sense. If there is not a flag, then there should not be a fine.

Second of all, I doubt these fines would be this out of hand if it wasn't for the big lawsuit the NFL is facing. They're afraid of losing and want to make sure they do everything in their power to avoid future legal troubles like this. From this perspective its more understanding to see why the League is turning into flag football but it still tears at the heart of every fan who just wants to watch some good old fashioned football.

My opinion is that these football players should know what they signed up for. Its why they're getting paid millions and millions of dollars. Play the game how it should be played, acknowledge the fact you at risk of serious injury, and accept the fact that this is supposed to be tackle football and not two-hand touch. These new rules that overly protect the QB and offensive players in general are just absurd.
                        With the NFL, as well as the NCAA, its all selective vision as far as the Refs go, hence the HOLDING PENELTIES that are NEVER called within the Tackle box anymore!

The second part of makes PEFECT SENSE! Let's face fact here, the NFL is probably the Greadiest major sport in history! They are also very image conscious, especially since the Seau incident. So now we have all these absolute REDICULOUS rules!
                        sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                          I disagree. The players cannot sue the NFL for injuries such as knee, ankle, hip, arm, even head injuries. These are given injuries that all players understand may happen in football. The lawsuits that are pending are that the NFL, and the teams withheld how the effects of concussions would affect them later in life saying they were told it was no big deal.

And for the most part I do believe that they truly did not know until approximately 5-10 years ago how bad these things were to the players.

Now on to the new problem. THIS IS BIG BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!! When a team or really a team owner loses a star player to injuries their chances of winning go down drastically especially now with the salary cap. Goodell does what the owners want and is their mouthpiece.

What is wrong is the standards at which these fines and suspensions are being carried out. There are multiple standards at play here and fines for one player are different than another for the same infraction. Same can be said about suspensions, some players get suspended while others do not.

There is something wrong in this system when the person handing out fines and suspensions is also the same person hearing the appeals. Over turning a fine or suspension is admitting you were wrong in the first place so why would he change his stance as it only makes him look bad.

I think it has gotten to the point where the offense has such an advantage over the defense that there is no way you can stop the opposing team without a getting flagged for some penalty or another. A running back can rip a guys head off using the face mask but yet if the defense touches the face mask it is a penalty. Offensive line men have been taking out defensive players knees for years and no fines or suspensions until recently.

Defense falls or gets pushed into a QB and it is a penalty, fine or suspension.

The NFL has tried to make it to where the offense can score more points so it is more exciting for the fans to see more touch downs but what they have done has upset the purists that want the guys on the field to play football the way it was designed to be played.

Now I do not have a problem with trying to protect the players somewhat as the game has gotten faster and the equipment has improved which has caused an increase in injuries but they have got to try and find a way to make it fair for both sides of the ball and for the players trying to appeal their fines or suspensions.

I feel sorry for the defensive players as they are getting taken to the cleaners by the NFL & owners for doing the job they were taught to do by the NFL and the owners.

If I was a defensive player coming into the league now I would insist as part of my contract that the team pays for any and all fines and suspensions.
                          Look, they are trying to create an appearance that they are about safety. Not just head injuries, but anything will help to create a perception.

Like I said, they are truly concerned about the lawsuits and they should be. It is a real threat and all of the hype created by the media is real.

ESPN constantly doing puff pieces about retired players with head problems. They have been harping on it and the NFL needs to battle these problems.

Plus there is a greed factor here. They have a bunch of millionares working for their league. OK? That, combined with the "safety" topic gives them cart blanche to fine them in any manner they see fit.

25K for that hit? Think about how much money that is, and like any good business they have their goal they want to reach. That goal is always to collect more REVENUE than the year before.

When they have safety as their excuse, they can do just about anything. The players cannot even complain about it. The coaches cannot even complain about it. Nobody can that works for the NFL.

It is an ABSOLUTE dictatorship. There is no one to appeal to. Oh wait, there is. To Goodell himself.

Anyone see the problem inherent with giving any one individual too much power?

It is an absolute joke, and it is amazing how many people they have brainwashed with this "safety" issue.

Comment

What a joke. A lot of times you are also pushed into the player in regards to hitting below the belt. Head to head shots are about the only hits I agree should be fined. QBs are way too protected. Couple this with the fact they may want to eliminate kickoffs from happening and soon we will be playing flag football.

Comment

I do agree that Goodell has too much power. Need more checks and balances. I used to really like him, but in the last couple of years, I have lost a lot of respect for him. One could argue that The Bounty Gate was handled properly by the league, and in its basic representation, it's hard to argue with the general infractions handed out. BUT, there still seems to be some confusion in that case, and why is it players are still playing? Could it be the league made a ruling that has holes in it? Could it be that another overseer needed to be involved, to make sure the punishment matched the crime?

When folks like Drew Brees are outspoken about things, it makes me wonder just a little.

And I think we all witnessed how the replacement ref situation was resolved......suddenly......because it finally clicked that something needed to be done. Again, key players were speaking out about the safety of the players and integrity of the game prior to the resolution of that mess.

And besides the concern I have with the way infractions are being managed, lets also remember that last year's labour disruption was not resolved until folks like Kraft and certain others made things happen.....not necessarily Goodell. I still remember when folks were mentioning names of those who made a key difference. Mind you, it seems that major league sports and lockouts have become a regular thing these days....maybe it's part of The Commish job descriptions!!
                              Last edited by CanDB; 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

If Goddell isn't careful, this garbage will backfire terribly when a d-back or linebacker attempting to hit someone legally "changes his aiming point" at the last minute to avoid a fine for hitting too high or too low and ends up breaking his neck because of it.
                                "When the people fear their Government, there is tyranny. When the Government fears it's people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X