Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pass Rushing Productivity: 3rd & 4th Down (Von Miller 2nd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass Rushing Productivity: 3rd & 4th Down (Von Miller 2nd)

Thought this was interesting and great to see Von at the top for third and fourth down sacks but surprised to see him over taken by Wake when pressures were applied.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-3rd-4th-down/

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Interesting article. I'm surprised Miller is not number 1 either but stats are just part of it. There are some interesting names on there too- Watt is a stud but everytime I watch Seattle Irvine jumps off the screen and it's nice to see his name around considering he is a rookie.

I'll put my money on Von though :thumb:

Comment

I would sum it this way......Miller is a beast, and has improved his game beyond the area of sacks/pressures. And it's not anything to think too deeply about, not being #1 in every stat. If anything, it tells us that Wake is excellent at that part of the game.

Comment

Yeah unfortunately his stellar season is being overshadowed because of the terrible defense he plays on. Morgan has been terrific.

Von's numbers are even more impressive than they appear because of the number of things we ask him to do. He's number 1 on 3rd and 4th because that's the only time he ever rushes anymore. If we played him like SF plays Smith or MIA plays Wake he'd probably have 25 sacks right now. It's telling that Watt and Smith only have a handful of sacks on 3rd and 4th down, meaning they rush every play and most of their sacks have come on 1st and 2nd.

I find it kind of hilarious that Smith isn't even in the top 15 in pressures, considering that's all he does.
        Last edited by Peanut; 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM. Reason: Deleting quote from spammer

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          Yeah unfortunately his stellar season is being overshadowed because of the terrible defense he plays on. Morgan has been terrific.

Von's numbers are even more impressive than they appear because of the number of things we ask him to do. He's number 1 on 3rd and 4th because that's the only time he ever rushes anymore. If we played him like SF plays Smith or MIA plays Wake he'd probably have 25 sacks right now. It's telling that Watt and Smith only have a handful of sacks on 3rd and 4th down, meaning they rush every play and most of their sacks have come on 1st and 2nd.

I find it kind of hilarious that Smith isn't even in the top 15 in pressures, considering that's all he does.
          I wonder what kind coaching strat games go with Miller not rushing early downs.

My first thought would be to pass on the down that Miller was not rushing. Then again everyone is supposedly going to try and take advantage of our run defense and run the ball so they do not get into 3rd and long Miller time.

Interesting games within a game that coaches have to play against our defense.

I bet it depends on the team.

Balt for example should try and run the ball 30-40 times on us if they can get away with it.

On the flip side if I was NE I would pass on 1st and 2nd downs while our best pass rusher is covering / looking for the run.

Then it is up to JDR to keep our defense fresh so opposing offenses can not look for one thing. If I was JDR I would have Miller rush some on 1st downs against NE.

We probably go in with a certain game plan but I bet the Broncos have a guy or maybe even a few guys looking at what the opposing team is doing, studying the data for patterns and giving their findings to the Offensive Coaches, Def Coaches and PFM. If I was the coach I would assign them the task of a brief breakdown at the end of 1st and 3rd Qtr and a longer breakdown at halftime and before OT if it happens.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
          X