X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos almost drafted Brandon Weeden

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...brandon-weeden

Denver Broncos almost drafted Brandon Weeden

Denver Broncos fans, focused on a potential playoff bye, can take a glimpse at the path not taken this Sunday. Denver hosts the Cleveland Browns, led by 29-year-old rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden.

If Peyton Manning hadn't accepted Denver's invitation to save the franchise, Weeden might be starting for the Broncos right now.

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post writes that Weeden would "likely" have been drafted by the Broncos if they didn't sign Manning. Once Manning was in place, it didn't make sense to take an older developmental prospect. Weeden was attractive because they thought he could play sooner than later.

He's done just that in Cleveland, to mixed results. Weeden hasn't been as bad as public perception thinks, but he hasn't proven yet that he has enough feel to be The Guy for the future, especially when change is coming at the top of the Browns organization.

Broncos fans should be thankful every day they don't have quarterback questions. Denver knows what it's like to be in the wilderness, looking for a quarterback. That's not an issue any more.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal
    This really shouldn't surprise anyone since we all knew about it, but this is just one more reason I'm happy #18 is in orange and blue. I would've been so disappointed with Weeden.

thank god ...
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

Not a surprise. Many of us knew that if it wasn't going to be Luck or RG3, it would be either Weeden or Brock.
      sigpic

Comment

This is why I have no sympathy for Browns fans,they expect Weeden to be like RG3 and Luck.....I dont understand why fans are getting on a rookie quarterback letting alone a 28 year old rookie quarterback suppose to develop when the coach dont know what he's doing..

I understand he throw stupid interceptions but he's still a rookie....Browns fans are the most impatient fans and that's why they will never win a championship,because they wont allow a player to develop..
        I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

I think Weeden has a lot of potential. I don't know why everone is beating up on him so much. Sure he made some bad reads but who doesn't in first season as a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
            I think Weeden has a lot of potential. I don't know why everone is beating up on him so much. Sure he made some bad reads but who doesn't in first season as a pro.
            Weeden has little, to no, potential. Maybe 7 years ago he did. Weeden is 29 and his skills will start to diminish before he develops much more. I think we have seen all that Weeden is ever going to be as an NFL QB. He scored getting drafted setting him and his family up for life but he set the Browns back a few years. That pick would have been better spent on a RB, Olineman or a DB then taking Foles in the 3rd instead of Hughes.
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Colt McCoy to the rescue?
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If Weeden were 21-23 like a normal rookie I would've been much more open to the idea of drafting him. But he's not, so I wasn't. I don't think he'll ever be a top 10-15 QB in the NFL, which is what you need to consistently be a Super Bowl contender.

Comment

If that's true, that scares me in terms of Elway's decision making but thankfully ...that's just speculation so I'm not worried

I would've lost it if we drafted Weeden...

Russel Wilson, Nick Foles, cool (although I was a Wilson hater before the draft, how stupid was I? I'll never make the mistake of height determining my opinion again), but anyhow ...anything other than 29yr old rookie Weeden
                  Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I think Weeden would have fared much better here than most would care to believe. He was the one QB in the draft I felt really good about that's wasn't named RGIII or Luck (who I still have reservations about). With a basic run heavy game plan and quality WR's he would have fared pretty well offensively. The issue would have been the way our defensive cards fell. Weeden would have meant no Wolf and Mays not on IR and a slew of other variables that would change the fabric of the team.
                    #swapping

Comment

Charlie's probably mad that we got Manning.
                      sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                      Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                        This is why I have no sympathy for Browns fans,they expect Weeden to be like RG3 and Luck.....I dont understand why fans are getting on a rookie quarterback letting alone a 28 year old rookie quarterback suppose to develop when the coach dont know what he's doing..

I understand he throw stupid interceptions but he's still a rookie....Browns fans are the most impatient fans and that's why they will never win a championship,because they wont allow a player to develop..
                        DId you know that Weeden is older than Aaron Rodgers? Did you know that Weeden is less than a year younger than Ben Roethlisberger? Brady Quinn is even younger than Weeden.

Weeden has no window. He has ZERO WINDOW. He will be 30 years old in his second season as an NFL player. He isn't going to be playing till he's 40. He'll be lucky if he has a 6 year career - if even that. Weeden does not have potential. He has already reached his ceiling and he will already start physically declining - and he isn't even that good. He has problems holding onto the football. He stares down receivers. He telegraphs passes - and he forces the football.

Cleveland would have been smarter keeping the picks used to get Weeden and instead investing in the offense and defense. Weeden is a failure and will never ammount to anything - he is Chris Weinke all over again.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Wilson was on our list too. Would have been interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X