Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out: "Ponder over Manning?"

http://www.nfl.com/performance/2012/...content_stream

NFL sports writer compares Manning's week 17 game to Ponder's win over Green Bay. The poll has Ponder's performance better than Manning's, probably on account of it being the best game of his career and earning a playoff berth through the packs. What do you all think?

Personally, there's no comparison. Manning did his three TDs in three quarters with a much better completion percentage. The argument that our WRs are better is equaled out by the threat of AP. Ponder had a great game, but to me it's still pedestrian when compared to everything Manning did to the Chiefs and does to teams every Sunday for that matter. Ponder didn't show Manning's no huddle expertise, eerie ability to pick apart a defense, and a consistent success at intermediate throws.

I remember at one point I was texting a friend saying

"How does your RB have more Yds than your Qb"

AP had 144 and Ponder was at 137 at one point in the 3rd qtr that tells it all

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeFaithful View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/performance/2012/...content_stream

NFL sports writer compares Manning's week 17 game to Ponder's win over Green Bay. The poll has Ponder's performance better than Manning's, probably on account of it being the best game of his career and earning a playoff berth through the packs. What do you all think?

Personally, there's no comparison. Manning did his three TDs in three quarters with a much better completion percentage. The argument that our WRs are better is equaled out by the threat of AP. Ponder had a great game, but to me it's still pedestrian when compared to everything Manning did to the Chiefs and does to teams every Sunday for that matter. Ponder didn't show Manning's no huddle expertise, eerie ability to pick apart a defense, and a consistent success at intermediate throws.
      The biggest comparison is who the played. Manning ripped apart the team that will be drafting 1st in April. Ponder had a great game against the team that won their division and was playing for a higher seeding in the playoffs. Gargantuan difference. And that's not to take anything away from Manning's day, but it was just a tune up day. Where as Ponder was playing to either make the post season or go home, so his play mattered more.
      #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        The biggest comparison is who the played. Manning ripped apart the team that will be drafting 1st in April. Ponder had a great game against the team that won their division and was playing for a higher seeding in the playoffs. Gargantuan difference. And that's not to take anything away from Manning's day, but it was just a tune up day. Where as Ponder was playing to either make the post season or go home, so his play mattered more.
        Whose play mattered more is irrelevant to who played better.

Maybe it's easier to be more impressed with Ponder's performance but that doesn't change the fact that Manning's performance was better. What's impressive about Manning's performance is that he did it against a Romeo Crennel defense which usually gives Manning trouble, lots of trouble.
        Last edited by broncolee; 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          Whose play matter more is irrelevant to who played better.

Maybe it's easier to be more impressed with Ponder's performance but that doesn't change the fact that Manning's performance was better. What's impressive about Manning's performance is that he did it against a Romeo Crennel defense which usually gives Manning trouble, lots of trouble.
          But who's performance was better is subjective in this case. So what Manning torched Crennel's defense. That doesn't change the fact that everyone across the sports world expected us to win big. Unfortunately, Manning's numbers are viewed as status quo because of that.

And what is at stake for each player does play into measuring their performance. Ponder played a great game that had more on the line than Manning's game. He stepped into the moment, which is a big deal for a young QB and did everything necessary to help his team win, with limited receiving threats (or options). Manning had a par for the course day with his high powered balanced offense and his plethora of receiving options/threats.
          #swapping

Comment

Working...
          X