Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elway: The Broncos were in the worst shape ever when I took over

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elway: The Broncos were in the worst shape ever when I took over

    "Going back to where we were. We were probably at the lowest point that the franchise had been...since I had been around the franchise, and really, since Pat owned the franchise, so we were at the lowest point we'd ever been. So we had to get some loyalty back, not only with our players, but also with our fans. And to me, Champ Bailey was that base. He was going to be the guy we were going to build around. He had been here several years, was a great, great player. We still thought he could play. All those things come into play, so that's why it was important for us to start that build with a guy like Champ Bailey who had had that experience here, and the fan base knew, and getting that connection back with the fan base that this organization has had such a close connection with for so long...and we really, at that point in time, really felt like we lost. So that was a move, not only was he a great player, but also our fans identified with him as an important cog in this organization and why it was important for us to get him re-signed"

    Link to the article: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ing-new-tricks

    Link to interview: http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=2095



    Done a phenominal job since taking over to say the least.

  • #2
    I remember that. He made it priority #1 finding the right coach and #2 resigning Champ. Champ is to us what RayRay is to the Ravens. When we acquired him, it was total opposite of the OJ glove! He just fit and just about every fan in BC stuck to him like glue. We may back and forth about every other player or coach, but we are all unanimous on Champ.

    Thx for the link
    #swapping

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by flosstein View Post
      We may back and forth about every other player or coach, but we are all unanimous on Champ.
      I'll say most are, one person didn't want us to re-sign him, won't mention any names.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
        I'll say most are, one person didn't want us to re-sign him, won't mention any names.
        I bet he's changed his mind by now.
        sigpic

        2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
        Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank God for Elway.
          I'll never forgive McDaniels for this.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            The smartest decision Pat has made is bringing John Elway back to the Broncos. This team is pointed in the right direction and it all started with hiring the veteran coach John Fox and keeping not only a great player, but a fan favorite as well in Champ Bailey. I still can't believe McDaniels pulled his contract extension when we had trash like Nate Jones on this team. Who was he honestly expecting to replace him?
            sigpic

            2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
              The smartest decision Pat has made is bringing John Elway back to the Broncos. This team is pointed in the right direction and it all started with hiring the veteran coach John Fox and keeping not only a great player, but a fan favorite as well in Champ Bailey. I still can't believe McDaniels pulled his contract extension when we had trash like Nate Jones on this team. Who was he honestly expecting to replace him?
              I wonder what made Bowlen and Xanders hand over so much control to McDaniels. I know that's what they were used to in Shanny, but jeez..... I can't even conceive giving a young, rookie head coach that kind of power.. The guy must have done one heck of a job selling himself. Thank goodness the clamps got put on him before he cost us Champ.

              Comment


              • #8
                The thing I really wanna say and I will probably get flamed for this but I don't care is how this team does once Manning is gone. Granted what he has done is remarkable, and getting Manning was awesome. But I think the true test will be what he does once he can't lean on Manning to help this team. Now before you kill me I think this team is in great shape and I thought he did a great job building for the future in the last draft. Giving this team a chance to prevail after is what I really want to see though. And yes I think he is setting this team up to become a dynasty




                Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

                Comment


                • #9
                  Whenever a HOF player goes to another team there is always the question of who will he retire with and who will he go into the hall as.

                  Dawkins went back and retired as an Eagle and if he gets to the hall it will likely be as an Eagle.

                  Same with Manning if he were to retire after this year. I think he would have to win multiple rings here not to retire a Colt and go into the HOF as a Colt. And even then he may still do it. 12 years is hard to ignore with 1 franchise.

                  I know this question used to be brought up with Champ a lot. Since he played what 5 years with Washington?

                  But now he has been with the Broncos a lot longer and been a key cog for a long time. He has been the face of the franchise for a good long while. Even if players like Manning and Von Miller are starting to overshadow him in popularity.

                  But at this point he has to not only retire but go into the HOF as a Bronco only right? Not even go in for 2 teams?
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                    The thing I really wanna say and I will probably get flamed for this but I don't care is how this team does once Manning is gone. Granted what he has done is remarkable, and getting Manning was awesome. But I think the true test will be what he does once he can't lean on Manning to help this team. Now before you kill me I think this team is in great shape and I thought he did a great job building for the future in the last draft. Giving this team a chance to prevail after is what I really want to see though. And yes I think he is setting this team up to become a dynasty
                    There is no doubt that question will be raised all the time. People said his success in the first place hung in the balance of how Manning would play coming off the injury.

                    There will still be questions of did Elway ride Mannings coattails back into the spotlight and can he be successul without him?

                    But you can't take away that it was Elway that brought Manning here in the first place. That is a significant achievement.

                    But as you stated I think he is building this team for long term success as long as we don't have a Curtis Painter replacement when Manning retires.

                    Elway has several significant achievements other than Manning.

                    1. Hiring John Fox and Del Rio. Del Rio immediately transformed us into a top 5 defense.

                    2. By giving them players such as the draftings of Von Miller and Derek Wolfe to mold that defense.
                    -But also providing peices like Tony Carter, Rahim Moore, Tracey Porter and developing the young ones.

                    Well I guess I just rolled several things up into those two categories. But it's several significant peices that Elway has helped bring in. Not just Manning.

                    So hopefully this team will be built for success when Manning retires.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                      The thing I really wanna say and I will probably get flamed for this but I don't care is how this team does once Manning is gone. Granted what he has done is remarkable, and getting Manning was awesome. But I think the true test will be what he does once he can't lean on Manning to help this team. Now before you kill me I think this team is in great shape and I thought he did a great job building for the future in the last draft. Giving this team a chance to prevail after is what I really want to see though. And yes I think he is setting this team up to become a dynasty
                      The good thing is the defense that was built. As long as the defense remains stout, it really won't matter too much who the QB will be as long as he can limit turnovers. We are building this team, kinda like Baltimore. Smothering defense, playmakers at the offensive skill spots and a good running game. All a QB needs to do is limit the ints, get the playmakers the ball and we are a dynasty.
                      #swapping

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        Whenever a HOF player goes to another team there is always the question of who will he retire with and who will he go into the hall as.

                        Dawkins went back and retired as an Eagle and if he gets to the hall it will likely be as an Eagle.

                        Same with Manning if he were to retire after this year. I think he would have to win multiple rings here not to retire a Colt and go into the HOF as a Colt. And even then he may still do it. 12 years is hard to ignore with 1 franchise.

                        I know this question used to be brought up with Champ a lot. Since he played what 5 years with Washington?

                        But now he has been with the Broncos a lot longer and been a key cog for a long time. He has been the face of the franchise for a good long while. Even if players like Manning and Von Miller are starting to overshadow him in popularity.

                        But at this point he has to not only retire but go into the HOF as a Bronco only right? Not even go in for 2 teams?
                        FYI, when a player gets into the HOF, they arent designated with any specific team. Any team he played on is reflected in the HOF record, regardless of how many years he played with said teams.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                          I'll say most are, one person didn't want us to re-sign him, won't mention any names.
                          Its the internet man, so many possible opinions we are bound to get the odd 1 in ten thousand.

                          Back to Elway. He is exactly what we needed and while it has not gone all smooth the amount of things that have worked out is something we have not seen around here since last time we won Super Bowls.

                          Think one of the things I really like is we finally have serious seperation between HC and GM duties. They work together but imo it needs to be different people making the decisions.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                            I know this question used to be brought up with Champ a lot. Since he played what 5 years with Washington?

                            But now he has been with the Broncos a lot longer and been a key cog for a long time. He has been the face of the franchise for a good long while. Even if players like Manning and Von Miller are starting to overshadow him in popularity.

                            But at this point he has to not only retire but go into the HOF as a Bronco only right? Not even go in for 2 teams?
                            In the record books he will get in for both the Broncos and Redskins. But when they talk about him, he will be remembered most as a Bronco.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Elway has made himself even more of a legend in Denver with his success as VP. If I were to guess I think he could take ownership of the Broncos in the future, with the rumors of Pat's health declining, I think Elway could be the natural fit as Bowlen's heir to the team. Don't know if Elway can afford to buy the team, but maybe Bowlen wills it to him?!
                              Elway has set the team up for future success because I believe Elway plans on being part of the team for a long time!
                              sigpic
                              What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X