Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylvester Williams' career is flourishing at North Carolina and the 2013 NFL Draft be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvester Williams' career is flourishing at North Carolina and the 2013 NFL Draft be

By 6:45 every morning, Sylvester Williams is on the StairMaster, with every sweat-drenched step driving him toward a lofty place in the 2013 NFL Draft.

For those who knew North Carolina’s star defensive tackle as a high school sophomore in Jefferson City, Mo., that’s almost impossible to believe. It’s not that Williams was a “bad kid,” but his priorities didn’t exactly include early mornings or self-discipline. He didn’t play football until his senior year—and even then, he wasn’t very good—and his high school academic transcript was dreadful.

Now? “He’s the first one in the building,” North Carolina quarterback Bryn Renner says. “I’m like, ‘Sly, man, what are you doing?’ And he’s like, ‘Nothing, man. Gotta get better.’ He’s so humble about it.”

That Williams has anything to be humble about speaks to his remarkable journey—and the generous souls who helped a likeable, though oft-distracted, teenager, made him this way.

'I had high points ... I had low points'

Williams went to class twice, maybe three times, a week that second year of high school. His focus wasn’t on grades. It was about earning enough money to buy a car, and he had his eyes on a Tahoe or a 1987 Cutlass Supreme. His job at Backyard Burgers, then Taco Bell, took precedent. When Williams worked the 3 a.m. closing shift, there was little chance he’d get up and go to school.

continue article here.

I posted this in the Sylvester Williams thread but I feel like it'll get buried in there. But I think this is worth the read on our new DT. Article is really long.

As long as old habits don't resurface, he has a real chance at becoming a stud.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

What a great read, CP to you OP! Thanks for sharing!
      My other love...
      sigpic
      305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

Nice read. This kid with S&C coach Luke is gonna be a beast.

Comment

It's not uncommon for big guys to struggle to find motivation early in their college careers. Moreso than at other positions, they are so used to dominating and running through people in high school it really doesn't register with many of them that they still have to work to get better.

Comment

This is the kind of kid we need. He knows what happens when you don't work hard. He found it within himself to become a hard worker, and look where he's at in such a short time. To me that says he has very high potential, and the motivation to work for it. Love the pick.
            sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
              I posted this in the Sylvester Williams thread but I feel like it'll get buried in there. But I think this is worth the read on our new DT. Article is really long.
              This really eases some of my concerns. This kid has an awesome work ethic from the sounds of it.
              sigpic

Comment

Not sure if anyone got a chance to watch this video.

He's done a lot of growing up lately.

Comment

It's almost hard to believe he was ever that little, haha
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

It's kind of similar to the story Derek Wolfe has. The FO loves players that have had to overcome adversity in their life.

Comment

The players that have to fight adversity to get there, are the ones that want to be there, and appreciate the opportunity to be in their position.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        It's kind of similar to the story Derek Wolfe has. The FO loves players that have had to overcome adversity in their life.
                        He didnt overcome adversity. He was lazy, not very smart, and unmotivated....all self imposed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          He didnt overcome adversity. He was lazy, not very smart, and unmotivated....all self imposed.
                          Ummmm....wait what

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            Those are traits, traits that put him in the face of adversity.

Comment

To imply Sylvester Williams didn't grow up in an environment that exacerbates those issues and imply he had a adequate guidance and support system is to be a little in the dark. It's very very easy to fall into a habit of being a product of your environment, but old habits die hard and it's hard to break bad habits and come out a better man. Kids are y

Comment

Working...
                              X