Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylvester Williams' career is flourishing at North Carolina and the 2013 NFL Draft be

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    To imply Sylvester Williams didn't grow up in an environment that exacerbates those issues and imply he had a adequate guidance and support system is to be a little in the dark. It's very very easy to fall into a habit of being a product of your environment, but old habits die hard and it's hard to break bad habits and come out a better man. Kids are young and dumb and certain situations exacerbate that

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      Those are traits, traits that put him in the face of adversity.
      traits that he chose to develop. He made his choices. His sister was in college at the time he was on his way to being a drop out. He didn't have to make those choices but he did. He could have decided to work hard and make a success of his life too but he choose to not go to school and be a dropout instead. It sounds to me like any "adversity" he faced was due to his own choices and laziness. That isn't something to applaud, imo. He couldn't even get himself to school for his finals in order to be eligible. That's lame and just plain lazy and irresponsible.

      Now this lazy, irresponsible guy is becoming a millionaire and you guys think it is such a great story. Now if he had to struggle and he worked hard for what he got than I would agree with you but to me it seems it was everyone else around him who did the heavy lifting and without them he never would have even made it through high school.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        traits that he chose to develop. He made his choices. His sister was in college at the time he was on his way to being a drop out. He didn't have to make those choices but he did. He could have decided to work hard and make a success of his life too but he choose to not go to school and be a dropout instead. It sounds to me like any "adversity" he faced was due to his own choices and laziness. That isn't something to applaud, imo. He couldn't even get himself to school for his finals in order to be eligible. That's lame and just plain lazy and irresponsible.

        Now this lazy, irresponsible guy is becoming a millionaire and you guys think it is such a great story. Now if he had to struggle and he worked hard for what he got than I would agree with you but to me it seems it was everyone else around him who did the heavy lifting and without them he never would have even made it through high school.
        I mean, his dad went to rehab. He grew up in a house with very little financial or structural support according to to all reports. It wasn't until his father got off the drugs that he had some structure and he got it together.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
          I mean, his dad went to rehab. He grew up in a house with very little financial or structural support according to to all reports. It wasn't until his father got off the drugs that he had some structure and he got it together.
          Why did the sister do so much better?
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            Why did the sister do so much better?
            Is that a serious question? Some people fall victim to their atmosphere, some are able to break away from it. How old is she again? Is it out of this world to think that a number of variables could have occurred? Like he didn't develop a drug addiction until after she had direction? Or maybe the idea that their are plenty of broken homes with broken children and sometimes their is one that is able to overcome that adversity on their own?

            Comment


            • #21
              *there is one

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                Is that a serious question? Some people fall victim to their atmosphere, some are able to break away from it. How old is she again? Is it out of this world to think that a number of variables could have occurred? Like he didn't develop a drug addiction until after she had direction? Or maybe the idea that their are plenty of broken homes with broken children and sometimes their is one that is able to overcome that adversity on their own?
                I know a thing or two about bad childhoods and I know excuses when I hear them.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  I know a thing or two about bad childhoods and I know excuses when I hear them.
                  Really? Because you demonstrate a severe lack of understanding or sympathy for a guy who lived in what would qualify for a "Broken home." Sylvester made zero excuses f

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    I know a thing or two about bad childhoods and I know excuses when I hear them.
                    Good God, what is he 23? Could you be any more judgmental??

                    Lighten up, Phyllis

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      traits that he chose to develop. He made his choices. His sister was in college at the time he was on his way to being a drop out. He didn't have to make those choices but he did. He could have decided to work hard and make a success of his life too but he choose to not go to school and be a dropout instead. It sounds to me like any "adversity" he faced was due to his own choices and laziness. That isn't something to applaud, imo. He couldn't even get himself to school for his finals in order to be eligible. That's lame and just plain lazy and irresponsible.

                      Now this lazy, irresponsible guy is becoming a millionaire and you guys think it is such a great story. Now if he had to struggle and he worked hard for what he got than I would agree with you but to me it seems it was everyone else around him who did the heavy lifting and without them he never would have even made it through high school.
                      Yes he made bad choices, but the choices he made did put him in adversity and he has overcome it to become a 1st round pick in the NFL. He's gone from rarely attending school to being the first one in the gym on the football team every day. He learned from the mistakes he made. I think the FO likes that about him, it makes him seem more coachable than other players. He's willing to work to get better because he doesn't want to go back to the bottom. He knows what's in store for him now if he doesn't keep working hard.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                        Is that a serious question? Some people fall victim to their atmosphere, some are able to break away from it. How old is she again? Is it out of this world to think that a number of variables could have occurred? Like he didn't develop a drug addiction until after she had direction? Or maybe the idea that their are plenty of broken homes with broken children and sometimes their is one that is able to overcome that adversity on their own?
                        Girls also tend to mature faster than guys do. She sounds like she had her priorities right, while Sylvester was worried about getting a car more so than his future.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          Girls also tend to mature faster than guys do. She sounds like she had her priorities right, while Sylvester was worried about getting a car more so than his future.
                          Yes, very true

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            Yes he made bad choices, but the choices he made did put him in adversity and he has overcome it to become a 1st round pick in the NFL. He's gone from rarely attending school to being the first one in the gym on the football team every day. He learned from the mistakes he made. I think the FO likes that about him, it makes him seem more coachable than other players. He's willing to work to get better because he doesn't want to go back to the bottom. He knows what's in store for him now if he doesn't keep working hard.
                            Yes, Changing your path in life especially one in which some may seem as self destructive is a feat of it's own. The kid had work ethic every step of his life, maybe it wasn't to do what is culturally acceptable at the time but when he was working, he was working two jobs a lot. He had the drive, it just wasn't always focused in the right direction. Now it is.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                              Really? Because you demonstrate a severe lack of understanding or sympathy for a guy who lived in what would qualify for a "Broken home." Sylvester made zero excuses f
                              just the opposite. I understand all too well. I could tell you stories that you have only seen in movies or heard about on the news. And yes, I have little sympathy for a guy who purposely chose to be a drop out and it makes me sick to see people glorify that.

                              People who have had to struggle, through no fault of their own, and succeed is one thing. Those people I respect and have sympathy for. People who bring those struggles on themselves because they are just plain lazy....I have no respect for at all. It's not like he came from a gang family, or was neglected, or unloved, or abused. He came from a broken home. So what, 50% of americans can say that these days.

                              He had every opportunity most other americans have and he chose to throw them away because he would rather have a car than go to school and get an education. Then he was bailed out by his family and his coaches then you guys give him all the credit.
                              Last edited by broncos SB2010; 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM.
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                                just the opposite. I understand all too well. I could tell you stories that you have only seen in movies or heard about on the news. And yes, I have little sympathy for a guy who purposely chose to be a drop out and it makes me sick to see people glorify that.
                                You can be whoever you want on the Internet.

                                Whoever glorified that? No one. When did he ever make excuses? Never did. Just stop

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X