Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylvester Williams' career is flourishing at North Carolina and the 2013 NFL Draft be

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
    You can be whoever you want on the Internet.

    Whoever glorified that? No one. When did he ever make excuses? Never did. Just stop
    you guys are the ones making excuses for him and saying what a great guy he is for overcoming...what? laziness?

    I couldn't care less if you believe me or not but I could tell you stories about being beaten for taking trash out too slow when I was 10...(still have nerve damage in my left arm from that) or being beaten with a stick until it broke because I left an apple core on the dryer......or forced to pay rent starting at 12...or kicked out of my house at 14 and told not to come back until I had a job....or kicked across the living room at 4/5 because I lost the key to a ball box in my kindergarten....or held over a cliff by step dad by one hand because he was angry with me...or being forced to eat vomit because I was sick and threw up during dinner when I was in 6th grade. Those are just a start....imagine 12 years of that...day in and day out.

    I was a straight A student and graduated at the top of my class. He overcame adversity and it's such a great story because he came from a broken home and was too lazy to go to class? Bite me.
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      you guys are the ones making excuses for him and saying what a great guy he is for overcoming...what? laziness?

      I couldn't care less if you believe me or not but I could tell you stories about being beaten for taking trash out too slow when I was 10...(still have nerve damage in my left arm from that) or being beaten with a stick until it broke because I left an apple core on the dryer....or forced to pay rent starting at 12...or kicked out of my house at 14 and told not to come back until I had a job....or kicked across the living room at 4/5 because I lost the key to a ball box in my kindergarten....or held over a cliff by step dad by one hand because he was angry with me...or being forced to eat vomit because I was sick and threw up during dinner when I was in 6th grade. Those are just a start....imagine 12 years of that...day in and day out.

      I was a straight A student and graduated at the top of my class. He overcame adversity because he came from a broken home and was too lazy to go to class? Bite me.
      Making excuses? I believe we were saying that its great to see someone take their path in life and refocus it and reportedly giving their all in the process. The kid didn't lack work ethic he lacked focus and it was placed in the wrong area of his life. He didn't understand that a higher education would lead him to a more opportunistic lifestyle. Like I said, old habits die hard. Just like I'm impressed with his father overcoming addiction to play a role in his life again.

      Broken homes come in all forms. Just because you may or may not have had a worse situation doesn't make it anymore valid and give you the right to judge a man or invalidate his obstacles.
      Last edited by Peanut; 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        And yes, I reported you for "Bite me" comments. You need to chill out.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
          And yes, I reported you for "Bite me" comments. You need to chill out.
          oh brother. That wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at the idea of his "adversity".
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            oh brother. That wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at the idea of his "adversity".
            I can only guess it was directed at me since you are saying I am making excuses for him. Not to mention it's not often for people to say "Bite me" to ideas when talking directly to someone they believe exude those ideals. So forgive me if I don't believe that cover up

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
              I can only guess it was directed at me since you are saying I am making excuses for him. Not to mention it's not often for people to say "Bite me" to ideas when talking directly to someone they believe exude those ideals. So forgive me if I don't believe that cover up
              you aren't the only one making those excuses. And again...I couldn't care less what you believe, but it is the truth.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #37
                He had a support system that picked him up everytime he started to fall back out. He did make a big leap to go to the JC and work his ass off for the opportunity.


                His initial failure was being lazy. He overcame his laziness after people forced him not to be.

                I give credit to him for working hard to be a first round pick, but there was no "overcoming adversity" story here. Not every hard luck story is "The Blind Side" (also highly exaggerated)
                sigpic

                Hooray, beer!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  He had a support system that picked him up everytime he started to fall back out. He did make a big leap to go to the JC and work his ass off for the opportunity.


                  His initial failure was being lazy. He overcame his laziness after people forced him not to be.

                  I give credit to him for working hard to be a first round pick, but there was no "overcoming adversity" story here. Not every hard luck story is "The Blind Side" (also highly exaggerated)
                  I keep hearing the word laziness thrown around. It had little to do with laziness and more to do with focusing on the wrong things in life. You don't exude laziness when you work 2 jobs just because you skip school. It means you don't have the right priorities.

                  His mother was not around and where was his support system during his fathers addiction?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    No one can force you to do something. The choice is yours to make.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                      I keep hearing the word laziness thrown around. It had little to do with laziness and more to do with focusing on the wrong things in life. You don't exude laziness when you work 2 jobs just because you skip school. It means you don't have the right priorities.

                      His mother was not around and where was his support system during his fathers addiction?
                      If you just "don't wanna go to school" (his words, not mine) it means your lazy. I only saw the 1 job in the story, I didn't see two simultaneous jobs.

                      He had an aunt I believe, and other people. His coaches coming to find him and drag him to school, etc.

                      This is not an overcoming adversity story. This is a laziness and "I do what I want" story.
                      sigpic

                      Hooray, beer!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Williams spent his time and energy working at Backyard Burgers and taking the late-night shift at Taco Bell, trying to make some money so he could buy a 1987 Cutlass Supreme.
                        But after his senior year, he didn't have enough self-confidence to believe he could go to college, earn a degree and keep playing football. So, the day after graduation, the 19-year-old Williams quit Taco Bell and began working at Walmart. Then he quit Walmart and started working at the Modine Manufacturing Co., for $400 a week.
                        The money was OK, but assembling radiators was not his life's dream. He felt that every time he stood on the line for an eight-hour shift.
                        "I saw people who had worked in the factory for 30 or 40 years," Williams said. "There's nothing wrong with that, but I just couldn't see myself doing that for my whole life. I knew that was as high as I was going to go with just a high school diploma."

                        http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...os-scholarship

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Life finally started to smooth out. That is, until one potentially disastrous backslide during finals week. Williams had to pass Thomas’ PE final to be eligible for football, but he wasn’t in class.

                          “For some reason I decided I didn’t want to go to school that day,” Williams says. “I guess it was just the old me coming out again.”

                          So Thomas called LePage, told him the situation, and the head coach immediately took off. LePage got Williams to class in time to take the final, which he passed.


                          Lazy.

                          One morning, his father—also named Sylvester—decided he’d had enough of Williams’ apathetic school habits. When he woke up to find his truant son still asleep, he made a phone call.

                          “About 10 minutes later, the police came knocking on the door,” Williams says. “So he told them, ‘Man, I keep telling him to go to school and he doesn’t want to go. He don’t understand that he ain’t going to be able to make it without going to school.’ So the police officer took me to school, let me ride in the front seat and dropped me off right in front of the door.”

                          That should have been the turning point in Williams’ life, the wake-up call that finally put him on the path to success.

                          It wasn’t.

                          A few weeks later, Williams was kicked out of school for poor attendance.


                          Lazy.

                          The rest after that, when he decided he wasn't going to get his rides working at Taco Bell and Wal-mart, then realizing he wanted more, is where his story picks up. He drags his ass across the state to somewhere where no one wanted him and he busted his butt for the opportunity.

                          There's the story.

                          The only adversity he had was self-inflicted.


                          I'm not saying I don't like the kid, or saying that he's lazy now, etc etc. I'm just saying many people come from similar situations, broken homes, poor as dirt homes, that you never hear a peep of. Kids that work hard not only in school but on the field to make an opportunity for themselves. It becomes their goal and dreams but you never hear about it because they weren't a first round pick or a budding star at a Div 1 school.

                          That's all I'm sayin.
                          sigpic

                          Hooray, beer!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            worked at taco bell
                            quit
                            worked at wal-mart
                            quit
                            worked at radiator machine shop

                            where are the overlapping jobs? You were insinuating he was basically working two jobs, were you not?

                            Why are you defending this guy like he's your cousin? It's plain and simple. He didn't want to go to school because he wanted to do what he wanted to do. He got his act together and worked hard enough to be a 1st round pick.

                            This isn't "adversity". This is "life".
                            sigpic

                            Hooray, beer!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                              worked at taco bell
                              quit
                              worked at wal-mart
                              quit
                              worked at radiator machine shop

                              where are the overlapping jobs? You were insinuating he was basically working two jobs, were you not?

                              Why are you defending this guy like he's your cousin? It's plain and simple. He didn't want to go to school because he wanted to do what he wanted to do. He got his act together and worked hard enough to be a 1st round pick.

                              This isn't "adversity". This is "life".
                              Williams spent his time and energy working at Backyard Burgers and taking the late-night shift at Taco Bell
                              Adversity is all a matter of perspective. You lose power for two weeks in suburbia and people see it as adversity. You go on a camping trip for 2 weeks and it's a vacation. You live in a household neglected by parents to do as you please and make decisions on your own without much guidance and that could be adversity but if you choose to not to go to class and rather work two jobs and skip out on school it's laziness. You live in a house with abusive parents opposed to neglectful ones and it's seen as more adversity.

                              I'm not defending anything, simply acknowledging adversity comes in all shapes and sizes. Self-imposed adversity is still adversity. When you get yourself off track it's much easier to keep on that route and much harder to switch tracks onto the right path.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Sounds like a pretty unmotivated and lazy dude to me... and I know lazy first hand. Hope he doesn't revert after he's a multimillionaire.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X