Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylvester Williams' career is flourishing at North Carolina and the 2013 NFL Draft be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
    Adversity is all a matter of perspective. You lose power for two weeks in suburbia and people see it as adversity. You go on a camping trip for 2 weeks and it's a vacation. You live in a household neglected by parents to do as you please and make decisions on your own without much guidance and that could be adversity but if you choose to not to go to class and rather work two jobs and skip out on school it's laziness. You live in a house with abusive parents opposed to neglectful ones and it's seen as more adversity.

I'm not defending anything, simply acknowledging adversity comes in all shapes and sizes. Self-imposed adversity is still adversity. When you get yourself off track it's much easier to keep on that route and much harder to switch tracks onto the right path.

He wasn't working two jobs at a time, and even if he was they weren't two full jobs at a time. He wasn't working those jobs to pay bills or have a place to live, he was working those jobs because he wanted a Cut Supreme (or maybe a Tahoe). He was provided for, and he had support around him. His sister made it to college, and don't give me the "girls mature faster".

He did what he wanted. Thought he knew it all.

He realized that the path he was on wasn't going to get him what he wanted, so he changed paths and realized a greater goal.

How is this different from anyone in life?

I do agree that adversity is in the eye of the beholder. Someone ranted to me personally awhile back about the "adversity" a certain player who shall not be named endured to become a first round pick and player in the NFL. He was very angry with my response.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I guess we will agree to disagree. Although yes, laziness was a factor I also think he was focused on making money and for all the wrong reasons in all the wrong ways. When he truly understood the value of schooling and future of opportunities a light turned on.

Comment

I don't want to say that anyone is right or wrong about how they feel about this. I do have my own opinion however.

If Sylvester was my son I would be very proud of him. Yes, he use to be lazy, but by all accounts he has been both a model athlete and model student for the last four years. That is worthy of commendation. He recognized the error of his ways, and that is commendable.

Whether or not it's self induced, adversity is adversity. I understand that there are many others who have endured far worst than Sylvester, but I still feel his work ethic is commendable. He recognized the error of his ways and changed. That's a fine example for others to follow.

IMO, judging him as a lazy person is a little unfair, considering everyone around him for the last 4 years has considered him to be someone who has matured a lot and is very hard working.
        Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Williams look really good sporting the Denver Jersey.Wow,that's a big guy!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post

Williams look really good sporting the Denver Jersey.Wow,that's a big guy!
            He looks great.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X