Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Air Force standout Ben Garland is moved from Broncos DT to offensive line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Air Force standout Ben Garland is moved from Broncos DT to offensive line

Didnt see this posted anywhere apologies if it was lol

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...offensive-line

Broncos' Ben Garland moves from defensive to offensive line
    Posted: 04/26/2013 09:14:38 AM MDT
    Updated: 04/26/2013 10:30:00 AM MDT
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Broncos lineman Ben Garland, right. (Denver Post file photo)

With neither transaction nor announcement, the Broncos added an offensive lineman in recent days.

He is Ben Garland, who had been a Broncos' defensive tackle.

The former Air Force standout recently had his schedule rearranged so that he is now conditioning and meeting with the Broncos offensive linemen. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Garland will settle in at guard, according to the team. Garland has the agility and quickness needed for the position.

The Broncos will hold their first organized team activity (OTA) practice on May 20.

Garland, 25, was born and raised in Grand Junction before becoming a three-year starter at defensive tackle for the Air Force Falcons. He signed with the Broncos as an undrafted rookie free agent following the 2010 draft.

After going to training camp with the Broncos that year, Garland left the team to fulfill his two-year military commitment. He returned to spend all of last season on the Broncos' practice squad.

He is one of the few NFL players who has a second job as Garland also serves as a public affairs officers for the Colorado Air National Guard.

Read more: Broncos' Ben Garland moves from defensive to offensive line - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2Ram66NwM
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Well it gives him a better chance at making the team. I hope he succeeds and is a beast on OL.
    Last edited by InsaneBlaze23; 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
      Well it gives him a better chance at making the team. I hope he succeeds and is a best on OL.
      My thought exactly!

Comment

Good luck to him and all of our military service men
        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Good luck to him but I think he spends another year on the practice squad.
          sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
            Good luck to him but I think he spends another year on the practice squad.
            It's not like there is so much talent on the OL that he can't make the roster.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Broncos are giving him every opportunity to be able to make the team. Last year Seahawks did this with a D-lineman. Forgot who, but he actually turned out pretty good.

Former Broncos coach Red Miller said during a visit to the Broncos facility that Garland had the quickest feet of any of the Broncos defensive linemen.

There are those in the league who are intrigued by the idea that Garland may be even able to play guard on the offensive line if the Broncos were so inclined.

Read more: Broncos' Ben Garland continues to impress with work ethic, quick feet - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2RdCZy66m
              Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
              Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                It's not like there is so much talent on the OL that he can't make the roster.
                I agree with that but I think he is facing an uphill battle to make the active roster this year. Not only a position change, but he would have to learn center/guard to be on the active 53 while learning Manning's no huddle offense. Definitely a tall task to do in the next 4 months
                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Definitely is a long shot to make the transition and make the team. I hope he pulls it off though!

Comment

Garland Transitioning From Defense to Offense

Broncos adding a new guard, well not "new" so to speak... Ben Garland has transitioned from defensive line to offensive line.

I've always been a big fan of his and hoped that this was the year he could move up and make some kind of contribution in the trenches... turns out one way or another he might just do that.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Ben Garland is on the move again.

After signing with the Broncos as a college free agent in April 2010, he served two years in the U.S. Air Force.

Garland returned to Denver in 2012 and earned a spot on the team’s practice squad as a defensive lineman.

Now he’s made another jump – to the other side of the line. Instead of pass rushing as a defensive end, he’ll be pass blocking as an offensive guard.

“We joked about it last year when I was running practice squad offensive line,” Garland said. “It was always a joke until this season. They thought it was a real possibility, so we went for it.”

The coaches approached Garland about the position change at the beginning of Phase One workouts this offseason.

“I think he’s a very powerful guy, very smart guy," Head Coach John Fox said. "Offense tends to be a little more assignment oriented and so he’s not going to blow assignments. We’re just trying to give him the best opportunity we can to help him make our football team.”

The first-year player had no reservations about making the move.

“I was just humble to have the opportunity,” Garland said. “I’m going to work hard in this position. I’m going to study my plays and know the offense. I think the offense is a lot of an intellectual game. I love that aspect – training, working and learning it.”

After watching his unit work against Garland, and even seeing Garland stand in as a scout team offensive lineman in practice last year, Offensive Line Coach Dave Magazu saw traits in Garland that he thought could translate to the offensive side of the ball.

“We practiced against him all the time,” Magazu said. “He’s a big, athletic guy. He has a great motor and works really hard. He’s really smart and he’s a tough guy. When you’re evaluating players, some of the things you’re always looking for are that you’ve got to be smart, you’ve got to be tough -- and he is that.”

Having played defensive tackle during his college career and spending time as both a defensive tackle and end in the beginning of his NFL career, Garland will have a good idea of what it takes to play on the offensive line.

“He knows how the defense is going to react and he has a feel for what they’re trying to do on defense,” Magazu said. “He knows how to respond. That is a plus for him. The hard part for him is going to be putting it all together where it’s a little bit more natural for him. That’s going to take time.”

Garland is no stranger to hard work and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed at his new position.

And hard work is what it is going to take for him to be able to play a brand new position against NFL-level opponents.

"I know our coaches are very impressed with him," Fox said. "He’s smart, he’s tough. I think he’s got great willpower to succeed and so regardless of what position, Ben Garland’s going to compete and do well."

While he is just starting to learn the nuances of his new position, Garland is confident that he will be able to play guard in the NFL.

“I think I can be a good guard because I am going to work hard,” he said. “And I’m going to know my plays back and forth. I’m just going to work as hard as I can.”

With his military background, Garland is no stranger to change.

During his two years of service in the Air Force, Garland has gone from Colorado Springs, Colo. -- where he worked as a strength and conditioning coach at the Air Force Academy, his alma matter -- to Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, to defense information school in Maryland and back to Scott Air Force Base before finally rejoining the Broncos in Denver.

“In football and in the military, they always teach that you have to be adaptable and flexible,” Garland said. “As long as you can adapt and flex and continue to work hard, you are able to take on new challenges.”
                    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...3-9dffe1675378

Apparently they really like his skillset for guard. We know he's decent sized and he's very strong. He could turn out to be a solid mauler. Glad to see him keeping a spot on the team either way. Good guy.

Comment

i dont see such a late transition leading to much success (at least as a starter) but good luck to Mr Garland and hopefully he can provide serviceable depth for the position
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

Interesting , you never know ... maybe he finds his calling ... for his sake i hope so

Comment

DL to OL is a transition that is occasionally made at all levels. What makes it possible is football IQ and footwork. Vinston Painter made the same transition. Would it be possible for him to be on the PS again?
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Good for our depth and his career. Now we need Woodson.
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X