Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Heckert joins Broncos as new Director of pro personel

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 27s
    Ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert will be director of pro personnel in Denver ... Taking the spot just vacated by Keith Kidd.

Welcome aboard sir.

Hmmm...he didn't exactly do anything...good for the Browns...don't get it?

Comment

I don't honestly know much about him.

Just saw Breer post it while watching the hockey game...

Comment

Heckert was an amazing GM. He should have been retained.
        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
          Heckert was an amazing GM. He should have been retained.
          Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.. hahaha

Comment

Then again he was working in Cleveland. Really hard to get anyone to come play there. I'll give him a pass. He's not a bad drafter from what I saw last year (Outside of Weeden) but he's director of pro-personel here so that's somewhat irrelavent

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Heckert,_Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.. hahaha
                I'm being serious.

Heckert knows talent. Look at all the people he brought to Cleveland. Joe Haden, Jabaal Sheard, Trent Richardson, & Josh Gordon, among others.

He was the best GM Cleveland has had since Ernie Accorsi in 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                  I'm being serious.

Heckert knows talent. Look at all the people he brought to Cleveland. Joe Haden, Jabaal Sheard, Trent Richardson, & Josh Gordon, among others.

He was the best GM Cleveland has had since Ernie Accorsi in 1992.
                  Why did he lose his job in that case? (actual question) just new ownership going in another way? or...

Comment

From AFC West blog -

The Denver Broncos are adding an interesting name in the front office.

The NFL Network is reporting the Broncos are adding former Philadelphia and Cleveland executive Tom Heckert to the front office, the team did not renew the contract of personnel man Keith Kidd. Heckert will likely fill Kidd's role.

Heckert will not have a position of major power in Denver with John Elway leading the football operations and Matt Russell also playing a key role.

But Heckert does give the Broncos value because of his experience as a decision maker. He was a longtime successful personnel man in Philadelphia and he spent the past three years as the general manager in Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                      From AFC West blog -

The Denver Broncos are adding an interesting name in the front office.

The NFL Network is reporting the Broncos are adding former Philadelphia and Cleveland executive Tom Heckert to the front office, the team did not renew the contract of personnel man Keith Kidd. Heckert will likely fill Kidd's role.

Heckert will not have a position of major power in Denver with John Elway leading the football operations and Matt Russell also playing a key role.

But Heckert does give the Broncos value because of his experience as a decision maker. He was a longtime successful personnel man in Philadelphia and he spent the past three years as the general manager in Cleveland.
                      Nice little blurb...

Elways seems to like to surround himself with smart football people with experience. which is what I like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                        Why did he lose his job in that case? (actual question) just new ownership going in another way? or...
                        Because the team got a new owner and he wanted to get new people for the sake of getting new people.

So, he got what he wanted. Heckert is gone and is replaced by one the worst GM in Cleveland's history (Lombardi is infamous in Cleveland for his draft strategies after replacing the legendary Ernie Accorsi - "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell is a prime example of it). Now, he's the general manager all over gain, it is history repeating itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                          Then again he was working in Cleveland. Really hard to get anyone to come play there. I'll give him a pass. He's not a bad drafter from what I saw last year (Outside of Weeden) but he's director of pro-personel here so that's somewhat irrelavent
                          Why do people assume working in Cleveland is a bad thing,I agree their record was bad,but they actually played better than their record indicated....Atleast they're making progress,unlike teams like Oakland,Jacksonville and etc.....

I dont understand why Cleveland is the standard when it comes to bad teams in the league,when teams like the Cardinals,Raiders and Jaguars are worst than the Browns....
                          I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Heckert has an extensive NFL pedigree and at least seemed to be in demand after being fired by the Browns. Andy Reid was said to want Heckert, to replace Scott Pioli. Heckert was also apparently wanted by the New York Jets (but Heckert canceled his interview).

Quick hits on Heckert:

-Ten years with the Miami Dolphins (1991-2000), nine as both a pro and college scout.

-Promoted to Pro Personnel in 2000.

-Director of Player Personnel 2001-02 with the Philadelphia Eagles, before being promoted to Vice President of Player Personnel in 2003. Over the course of five years he helped Reid assemble a team that went to four straight NFC Championship Games (2001-04) and one Super Bowl.

-Promoted to General Manager in 2006 with the Eagles, by 2009 13 of the 22 starters in Philadelphia were Heckert draft picks. In 2010 he became the General Manager of the Cleveland Browns, despite minor successes in Cleveland, former team president Mike Holmgren received most of the attribution. With the Browns Heckert helped to draft Joe Haden, T.J. Ward, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Trent Richardson, Phil Taylor and Brandon Weeden.

In an offseason that has seen many great signings for the Broncos, this may be the definitive one in assuring Denver's long successful future.
                            http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/5...-broncos-staff

Seems like a good hire to me. I know Cleveland has many negative connotations with its football team but this guy has a history of drafting talent.

Comment

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1m
                              When Tod Heckert was GM of Philly Eagles, one of his top college scouts from 2006-08 was Matt Russell, who is now above Heckert.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1m
                              Matt Russell is Broncos director of player personnel. Heckert to be director of pro personnel.

interesting little tidbit.

Comment

Working...
                              X