X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos hire Alex Gibbs

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    It never did seem like the Broncos allowed the media to influence their decisions.

That’s abundantly clear now that the team has brought back Alex Gibbs as an offensive line consultant.

“He’ll be a good resource,” said Broncos coach John Fox. “I know from competing against (Gibbs) over the years that he can help us out.”

The Broncos had brought in Tom Moore, Peyton Manning’s former offensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts, as an offensive consultant for the mandatory minicamp last June.

Gibbs will be around longer as he’s expected to help out Broncos offensive line coach Dave Magazu throughout the season.

Gibbs, 72, was considered the brains behind the Broncos’ famed zone-blocking, one-cut running game when he served as the team’s offensive line coach from 1995-2003.

The Broncos got away from the zone scheme in 2009 when Josh McDaniels brought in more of a power-blocking style. But it appears there will be a little more zone-blocking, one-cut style in the Broncos’ offense this season after the team added three people who are steeped in the scheme — Gibbs, quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp and running back Montee Ball.

The Broncos won two Super Bowls with Gibbs as their offensive line coach as running back Terrell Davis rivaled quarterback John Elway as the team’s biggest star. Elway is now the Broncos’ boss of football operations.

Gibbs’ most enduring legacy through the years, though, was the tradition of having his offensive linemen refuse media interviews.

That trend was eventually carried on by Tom Nalen through 2007, Ben Hamilton through 2009 and then Chris Kuper until the present.

But just as some blockers like Ryan Clady and Orlando Franklin have started loosening up with the media, along comes the return of Gibbs.
    sigpic

I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be if the o-line went back to media-silence. This day in age it would probably be a little harder to do.

Comment

I was already a fan of the Ball pick before this, but anybody who at this point is still not excited for what Ball will do doesn't know football.
      Denver Broncos GM
      Originally posted by Mosk
      Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Wow, absolutely LOVE IT...

Perfect fit for us...man we got a dream season coming

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be if the o-line went back to media-silence. This day in age it would probably be a little harder to do.
          Unfortunately the new NFL media rules require every player to be available for a certain amount of time during the season. This is why our oline nowadays talks.
          sigpic

Comment

Now all we need is Bobby Thompson back!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
              Now all we need is Bobby Thompson back!
              That would be nice. Magazu coached the Oline in carolina when they switched to ZBS
              sigpic

Comment

Amazing hire. This has been dream offseason for us.
                sigpic

Comment

Another great move by the FO and Staff. Hopefully we can rely less on Manning and take some of the pressure off. Ball could have a heck of a rookies season.
                  sigpic
                  2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

Wow, Will be helping all through the season... nice

Comment

What a great move to get Gibbs back on the team. Our O line should be better now for sure

Comment

Wow. Nearly every move the team has made since Elway too over as VP has been great.
                        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                        sigpic

Comment

I love the hire! the only thing i don´t like about it is he should have been there in the firstplace

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                            I was already a fan of the Ball pick before this, but anybody who at this point is still not excited for what Ball will do doesn't know football.
                            And you know Elway was thinking about this when he made the [correct] choice to go with Ball over Lacy.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                              It makes me worry that we would become the PATs, no one wants that..

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X