Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    It's possible but I don't think so.
    8 Dline, 6 LB, 4 CB and 4 safeties are the minimum. That leaves 3 open spots on a general team of 25 defensive players. 1 extra DB to make 5 CBs is pretty much a given. With the uncertainty at DE, MLB and backup SOLB, I find it hard to believe they would keep a 6th CB over those positions when a 6th CB would never even be active let alone see playing time.

If we run the buckle so darn much like JDR and Chris Harris say we did the the majority of the time means we got more corners than linebackers. So that would end up making primarily a 3 starter position. Not to mention corners values in special teams in punt and kick coverage. That, coupled with the talent at corner and how it's one of our strongest positions, this isn't simply addition by subtraction. Cutting a strong player at corner to let a lesser talent stay on the roster past training camp isn't going to make positions like linebacker or defensive end any stronger.

I think the big battle for final roster sports will be between Stewart Bradley, Lerentee McCray, Steven Johnson, Jeremy Beal, and Shaun Phillips, Mitch Unrein, and Siliga

I could be wrong but that's how I think it might play out.

Champ, Harris, DRC, Tony, Bolden, Webster.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
      If we run the buckle so darn much like JDR and Chris Harris say we did the the majority of the time means we got more corners than linebackers. So that would end up making primarily a 3 starter position. Not to mention corners values in special teams in punt and kick coverage. That, coupled with the talent at corner and how it's one of our strongest positions, this isn't simply addition by subtraction. Cutting a strong player at corner to let a lesser talent stay on the roster past training camp isn't going to make positions like linebacker or defensive end any stronger.

I think the big battle for final roster sports will be between Stewart Bradley, Lerentee McCray, Steven Johnson, Jeremy Beal, and Shaun Phillips, Mitch Unrein, and Siliga

I could be wrong but that's how I think it might play out.

Champ, Harris, DRC, Tony, Bolden, Webster.
      LB are also a big part of ST. I still say only one of Carter/Bolden make the final 53. A general rule of thumb is minimum +1 for all major positions.
      Dline= 8 +1 = 9
      LB = 6 +1= 7
      DB= 8 +1 = 9

total = 25

we have had this numbers discussion before. This is the way I see it and Fox/Denver have very rarely kept 6 CBs. Maybe that changes this year but I see no reason why they would. They are deep at all the defensive positions, not just CB.

LB starters: Von, WW, Irving (probably)
      LB backups Johnson, Trevathan, Bradley, Philips

That is 6 +1...who do they cut to make room for a 6th CB?

Dline starters: Ayers, Vickerson, Williams, Wolfe
      Backups: Jackson, Beal, Unrein, Knighton, Smith

That is 8 +1...who do they cut to make room for a 6th CB?

#6 cbs are pretty easy to find, it takes time to develop LB and Dline and they are more valuable to a team because they play in a rotation and take longer to develop especially when a 6th CB can be signed off the PS when needed.
      sigpic

Comment

LB are also a big part of ST. I still say only one of Carter/Bolden make the final 53. A general rule of thumb is minimum +1 for all major positions.
        Dline= 8 +1 = 9
        LB = 6 +1= 7
        DB= 8 +1 = 9

total = 25

we have had this numbers discussion before. This is the way I see it and Fox/Denver have very rarely kept 6 CBs. Maybe that changes this year but I see no reason why they would. They are deep at all the defensive positions, not just CB.

LB starters: Von, WW, Irving (probably)
        LB backups Johnson, Trevathan, Bradley, Philips

That is 6 +1...who do they cut to make room for a 6th CB?

Dline starters: Ayers, Vickerson, Williams, Wolfe
        Backups: Jackson, Beal, Unrein, Knighton, Smith

That is 8 +1...who do they cut to make room for a 6th CB?

#6 cbs are pretty easy to find, it takes time to develop LB and Dline and they are more valuable to a team because they play in a rotation and take longer to develop especially when a 6th CB can be signed off the PS when needed.
        Could you clarify? Did you just say we needed to keep and extra hold over at MLB and DE because of positional uncertainty as well as needing depth at SLB? As well as say we are deep? I'm not sure if I follow.

I am not so sure Stewart Bradley makes the team. If he does it means Steven Johnson didn't step it up and if he doesn't we have no ties to developing him. He's undrafted and just barely made the squad last year. If he steps it up I doubt we keep Bradley. As for DE I believe we will keep 5 and that includes Derek Wolfe as a DE. So for me, they cut a LB. Or they cut a DE. Shaun Phillips is guaranteed nothing either and if can't prove to make the transition to the 4-3 then Bradley stays as depth and Phillips battles with guys like Beal for a roster spot. Why keep 6 DE's at that point? So it is my believe we do in fact go

9 D-line (5 DE's, 4 DT's since wolfe is essentially a DT)
        6 LB's (If Phillips Stays then Bradley or Johnson goes. I think it's Bradley. If Bradley stays then it comes down Phillips competing for DE)
        9 D-backs (4 safeties and 6 corners as Kayvon could potentially provide depth at both corner and safety)

The versatility of the squad makes the final 25 man defense interesting to speculate.

Comment

Or we keep 8 DE's and 7 LB's considering Phillips versatility and Wolfes as well. Not even factoring in that Von Miller in a pinch could play DE.

Comment

Could you clarify? Did you just say we needed to keep and extra hold over at MLB and DE because of positional uncertainty as well as needing depth at SLB? As well as say we are deep? I'm not sure if I follow.

I am not so sure Stewart Bradley makes the team. If he does it means Steven Johnson didn't step it up and if he doesn't we have no ties to developing him. He's undrafted and just barely made the squad last year. If he steps it up I doubt we keep Bradley. As for DE I believe we will keep 5 and that includes Derek Wolfe as a DE. So for me, they cut a LB. Or they cut a DE. Shaun Phillips is guaranteed nothing either and if can't prove to make the transition to the 4-3 then Bradley stays as depth and Phillips battles with guys like Beal for a roster spot. Why keep 6 DE's at that point? So it is my believe we do in fact go

9 D-line (5 DE's, 4 DT's since wolfe is essentially a DT)
            6 LB's (If Phillips Stays then Bradley or Johnson goes. I think it's Bradley. If Bradley stays then it comes down Phillips competing for DE)
            9 D-backs (4 safeties and 6 corners as Kayvon could potentially provide depth at both corner and safety)

The versatility of the squad makes the final 25 man defense interesting to speculate.
            I think Johnson will play backup to Von Miller so I don't think he will have any affect on Bradley. If it isn't Johnson, maybe Lerentee wins that spot. They may put Johnson at MLB but that would mean they need another player to be Von's backup. Phillips has no affect on Bradley or Johnson either since he will be a pass rusher which is not the role either of those 2 play.
            sigpic

Comment

Or we keep 8 DE's and 7 LB's considering Phillips versatility and Wolfes as well. Not even factoring in that Von Miller in a pinch could play DE.
              I just think you over value a 6th CB. They most play with 2 or 3, sometimes 4. That 6th one is waaay down the hierarchy. The one thing not discussed so far is the role injuries will play during TC/preaseaon. That very likely could determine the final guys who make the roster.
              sigpic

Comment

I just think you over value a 6th CB. They most play with 2 or 3, sometimes 4. That 6th one is waaay down the hierarchy. The one thing not discussed so far is the role injuries will play during TC/preaseaon. That very likely could determine the final guys who make the roster.
                I recall in our discussions we came to the conclusion teams typically keep 9 DB's as we did last year correct? So 6 of the 9 would be corners with one that has possible safety versatility.

Comment

I recall in our discussions we came to the conclusion teams typically keep 9 DB's as we did last year correct? So 6 of the 9 would be corners with one that has possible safety versatility.
                  That is a possibility. Adams, Moore, and Carter will all make the team, imo. Bruton and Ihenacho are the top 2 options for #4 so if a CB could be kept that could fill the role those guys play it could happen. Webster might be able to. Bruton's real only job is on ST.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Check out the one from March 12, which is actually when the season is over..

Comment

Bruton isn't going anywhere.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

DRC should dominate again in our scheme, with a contender again, and learning from Champ Bailey

Comment

I think carter is a lock. He also was part of the Moore bungle i feel like, and doesnt take as much heat (he shouldnt) but he has a lot of talent. I hope hester makes it too. I feel like Harris should start of Cromarte, but i guess that is what preseason and training camp are for, to sort all this out.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                            DRC should dominate again in our scheme, with a contender again, and learning from Champ Bailey
                            If the team gets him motivated, he may not allow 20 passes all year next year. Covering No. 2 and 3s all year is cake for him. He flashed that ability last year before their season was lost. Antonio Cromartie just put up an incredible year, I can see him wanting to top that. It's a one year contract and I know he wants to get a big contract next year. DRC has a lot of reasons to be motivated right now. I'm expecting a terrific year

Comment

Fox carried 10 DBs in 2011 and 9 DBs in 2012. Tony Carter and Omar Bolden will fight for a roster spot. If the team carries 10 DBs, then both can be on the roster though even this scenario might not be enough to keep them safe. The extra DB in 2011 was a S instead of a 6th CB. The S can probably tackle better on special teams, and he's usually more physical than a CB if you need someone to play against a TE. Maybe 5 CBs and 5 Ss make more sense than having 6 CBs.

I've read the Broncos wanted Charles Woodson to blitz and cover TEs. This may be Webster's role, and in this case he could replace the 5th S if the team carries 10 DBs. The situation is very fluid at this point, at least for us who don't know what the coaches are planning. Judging by the effort this regime is making to keep players from the draft, I'd say Bolden will be on the roster. They'd have to be extremely disappointed with his performance to let him go.

Carter is just another guy in the NFL. He did good things last season, but I doubt the Broncos feel they must keep him. He is better than Bolden in my opinion, but Bolden was drafted in the 4th round last year. Carter may not be a hot name on the waiver wire anyway, maybe he'd be available as a free agent down the road if the team needs him back. He was released by the Patriots and Vikings before his second stint with the Broncos.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                                Fox carried 10 DBs in 2011 and 9 DBs in 2012. Tony Carter and Omar Bolden will fight for a roster spot. If the team carries 10 DBs, then both can be on the roster though even this scenario might not be enough to keep them safe. The extra DB in 2011 was a S instead of a 6th CB. The S can probably tackle better on special teams, and he's usually more physical than a CB if you need someone to play against a TE. Maybe 5 CBs and 5 Ss make more sense than having 6 CBs.

I've read the Broncos wanted Charles Woodson to blitz and cover TEs. This may be Webster's role, and in this case he could replace the 5th S if the team carries 10 DBs. The situation is very fluid at this point, at least for us who don't know what the coaches are planning. Judging by the effort this regime is making to keep players from the draft, I'd say Bolden will be on the roster. They'd have to be extremely disappointed with his performance to let him go.

Carter is just another guy in the NFL. He did good things last season, but I doubt the Broncos feel they must keep him. He is better than Bolden in my opinion, but Bolden was drafted in the 4th round last year. Carter may not be a hot name on the waiver wire anyway, maybe he'd be available as a free agent down the road if the team needs him back. He was released by the Patriots and Vikings before his second stint with the Broncos.
                                I like Carter but I do think he will be the odd man out when it all comes down to it. Like you said Bolden was a draft pick and the Broncos FO when they drafted him talked about how before his injury he was viewed as a possible 1st round type talent. Throw in he offers some ability on Special Teams as a return man. I know Holiday has that locked down but I could also see with how small Holiday is him getting injured at some point. I could also see where his problem of securing the football reaches a point that the Broncos have to move away from him. Heard that in OTA's he has already had some issues with catching the ball on punt returns.

Comment

Working...
                                X