Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIke Shanahan 19th Greatest Coach Ever

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MIke Shanahan 19th Greatest Coach Ever

    This thread really isnt about Shanahan, but actually more about Elway and Fox. So on ESPN, they have Mike Shanahan ranked as the 19th best coach in history. I like Shanahan, and prefer his style over Fox's, but it was time for him to go back in 08, I won't argue that.

    However, what I find interesting are Elway's comments in this article about Shanahan. At the bottom, Elway talks about what made Shanahan great, and he says,

    "A lot of coaches tried to sit back and win on defense. As a quarterback, why I liked Mike was he wanted to win it on the offensive side. If we needed a first down late in the game, we were going to be aggressive offensively rather than punting and putting the game in the defense's hands. That's something I admired about Mike, and it led to a lot of success when I played with him."

    I agree Elway. That is why I think Fox has a lot of blame in that Baltimore game. And that is why I think Elway, despite his defense of Fox, probably did not agree with his decisions late in that game, and would have done it differently.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...-mike-shanahan

  • #2
    Mike was a unique head coach while in Denver, who could forget that running scheme. My knock against him is I felt he should have surrounded himself with a little better talent at QB. Don't get me wrong, I love Jake Plummer and Brian Griese did the best he could with limited physical attributes but there were other QBs out there like Kurt Warner and Drew Brees. I remember Shanny sarcasticly responding to some riddiculous media questions he answered with " aint none of them worth a darn, we're going to release all of them and draft Drew Brees" Griese, Gus Ferotte and Jarious Jackson. Although the media was being riddiculous, I had hoped there was some truth to his statement. Years later we'd hear him say things like, " we could have had Brees but we had Griese, we could have had Rodgers but we had Plummer "I would feel really disappointed after hearing stuff like this and its where I got the idea of him being arrogant but he was a great coach here.

    Comment


    • #3
      no dount shanahan, the self proclaimed genius, is arrogant. It is probably his biggest flaw. I do think he is a mastermind, but his arrogance leads to stubbornness. Like plummer talking about how Shanny always tried to make him and Cutler into Pocket QB's, when they weren't. He would draft a player with a certain skillset and then force them to do things all his way, even if that wasn't in their skillset.

      The exception to this was his ability to draft lineman and put them into blocking schemes. Shanny is a total master of blocking schemes and blocking personnel. Either way, he was aggressive on offense, and paired with Elway and TD, it worked out fantastically. I wish Fox would put more trust in this offense that Elway put together for him and let them determine the outcome of the game.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fightinglee View Post
        I agree Elway. That is why I think Fox has a lot of blame in that Baltimore game. And that is why I think Elway, despite his defense of Fox, probably did not agree with his decisions late in that game, and would have done it differently.
        It was a big question around here even with the hire of Fox because he is generally ultra conservative. And we all knew how Elway got along with another conservative style coach. Elway was "your favorite gunslinger's favorite gunslinger". if a game was to be won or lost, he wanted it on his hands, his terms, his way. So it is interesting to watch this relationship play out. But I will say this, Fox's conservatism has led to 2 winning seasons thus far and it's exactly what was needed to get us back on track. Reeves' was conservative as well and we were the team to beat for pretty much his entire tenure, if that's what Fox leads us to, I'm in!
        #swapping

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by flosstein View Post
          It was a big question around here even with the hire of Fox because he is generally ultra conservative. And we all knew how Elway got along with another conservative style coach. Elway was "your favorite gunslinger's favorite gunslinger". if a game was to be won or lost, he wanted it on his hands, his terms, his way. So it is interesting to watch this relationship play out. But I will say this, Fox's conservatism has led to 2 winning seasons thus far and it's exactly what was needed to get us back on track. Reeves' was conservative as well and we were the team to beat for pretty much his entire tenure, if that's what Fox leads us to, I'm in!
          I dont hate Fox, so dont take this wrong. My argument is that, if it were just fox coaching this team and making decisions, we would be screwed. I think without Elway, we dont get manning and i dont know if we take Miller with our pick. I can say that for a lot of our roster. I am an Elway homer, and I know that, but to me, its apparent that most of our success should be thrown elway's way, and now, Manning and Elway's way. Our first winning season with him was becuase the fans forced him to throw Tebow on the field. He got lucky. Then elway saved us by nabbing Manning. WHat i will give Fox credit for is going after good DC coaches. JDR is awesome. I also think Fox has good report with the players, and he helps then enjoy the game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
            Mike was a unique head coach while in Denver, who could forget that running scheme. My knock against him is I felt he should have surrounded himself with a little better talent at QB. Don't get me wrong, I love Jake Plummer and Brian Griese did the best he could with limited physical attributes but there were other QBs out there like Kurt Warner and Drew Brees. I remember Shanny sarcasticly responding to some riddiculous media questions he answered with " aint none of them worth a darn, we're going to release all of them and draft Drew Brees" Griese, Gus Ferotte and Jarious Jackson. Although the media was being riddiculous, I had hoped there was some truth to his statement. Years later we'd hear him say things like, " we could have had Brees but we had Griese, we could have had Rodgers but we had Plummer "I would feel really disappointed after hearing stuff like this and its where I got the idea of him being arrogant but he was a great coach here.
            Well, I liked Plummer, but Griese was a joke. Don't know why they drafted him. They should have just let Brister play for two to three years and then draft Brees in 2001.

            Shanny's drafts starting in 98 left something to be desired at times. Our first rounders in 98, 00, 01, 03, and 07 were huge mistakes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Shanny was awesome but sadly it was his time to go.
              He is building something great in Washington though. It'll be good to see him on top again....not in our division or conference.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Haha that quote is an inadvertent shot at Fox

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fightinglee View Post
                  I dont hate Fox, so dont take this wrong. My argument is that, if it were just fox coaching this team and making decisions, we would be screwed. I think without Elway, we dont get manning and i dont know if we take Miller with our pick. I can say that for a lot of our roster. I am an Elway homer, and I know that, but to me, its apparent that most of our success should be thrown elway's way, and now, Manning and Elway's way. Our first winning season with him was becuase the fans forced him to throw Tebow on the field. He got lucky. Then elway saved us by nabbing Manning. WHat i will give Fox credit for is going after good DC coaches. JDR is awesome. I also think Fox has good report with the players, and he helps then enjoy the game.
                  Sorry if I came across as thinking u meant something against Fox, I was just generalizing. But even with Elway making some good moves to bring in the talent, Fox was the right guy to go with. He was a safe bet and a total opposite from what McD was or what Shanny had become. And even though Elway has final say, he and Fox assemble the roster together. While Elway being back has brought back the "moxi", Fox has brought the "D" back.
                  #swapping

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    While I am thankful of the two Super Bowl wins, Mike Shanahan is incredibly over-rated and there is NO WAY he is a top 20 coach all time.

                    Shanahan has been a head coach in the NFL for 19 seasons, but his teams have made the playoffs in just eight of those years. His career record is 167-125, but from 1996-1998 he went 39-9, meaning his record outside of those seasons is 128-116. His average win total per season, even including his best years, is still less than nine wins.

                    That's top 20? Not
                    Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A QB makes a coach. Belichick was nothing before Brady.
                      Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Elway was the one who hired John Fox, knowing he is a conservative coach. So, he likes to be aggressive offensively instead of punting the ball, but he hired Fox, and it is what it is. I'm sure both Elway and Manning were against the decisions to run and punt and then kneel down and surrender to overtime. Play to win.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think the idea with Elway hiring Fox is that I would guess since it was Elways first year he felt he needed someone with experience at Head Coach. someone to help fix our horrible defense and stabilize this franchise after the McD, 4-12 season, spygate incidents. Fox has also reached the Super Bowl so Elway probably thought he could still reach it in denver. Players and coaches respect Fox.

                          But I wish he was a bit more aggresive. He might need to change with Manning and Super Bowl or bust years

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm looking forward to the complete list. I love lists.

                            I doubt if Steve Owen or Red Miller are on it. If Shanahan is #19, is Parcells ahead of him?

                            Shanahan should feel honored being ranked next to Sid Gillman.
                            Last edited by samparnell; 05-25-2013, 03:25 PM.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Let me go ahead and name the top two:

                              1. Bill Walsh
                              1A. Jimmy Johnson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X