Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Hillman: I can be Broncos feature back

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-featured-back

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- Ronnie Hillman knows the scouting report.

He's not big enough. He can't take a pounding between the tackles. He's best-suited as a change-of-pace back.

Play fantasy football on NFL.com
    Why play fantasy football anywhere else? Play the official free fantasy football game of the NFL. Sign up today in under two minutes.

"You get that when you're a smaller guy," the Denver Broncos running back told Around The League on Monday from the NFL Media newsroom. "You can't take the pounding, but I just brush it off. Of course you hear things. I'm not going to sit hear and say I don't hear what they say, but you just got to let it go.

"Obviously, getting 22 carries in negative 13-degree-weather against the Ravens (in the divisional playoffs), they shouldn't have much else to say about that if they're paying attention."

Hillman put on 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, bulking his frame up to 200 pounds. He said the Broncos actually want him to drop weight and play in the 190-to-195 range.

With Willis McGahee out of the picture, rookie Monte Ball and Knowshon Moreno stand as Hillman's chief competition for playing time. We asked Hillman about his first impressions of Ball, Denver's second-round pick in April's draft.

"He's a good kid -- I can't say kid. He's older than me," Hillman said with a laugh. "He's a good dude, he's learning, he's doing good things out on the field. He's going to be good."

Ball has a very good shot to be the Broncos' lead back when the dust settles. Hillman should be able to carve out his own niche if he is able to improve as a blocker. In Denver, protecting the quarterback is of utmost importance
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Sounds like he has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder ... I like it.
    sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

I am excited about our young guys. They all seem hungry.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I think all three guys will get a lot of carries. I hope to see a 50-30-20 split betweent Ball, Hillman, and Moreno.

Comment

I want to see Ball as the Broncos feature back.

Comment

Never let someone's height dictate their performance.
            He has been bulking up all off season, getting stronger and building muscle. If he can take a hit, he can be a feature back.

I'm sure he isn't speaking just to speak, he knows he has to improve his body in order to take hits. He wasn't bulking up to get faster, he already has that. He bulked up because he believes in himself, he believes he can be a feature back. And as long as he is hungry for it he has a chance to obtain what he seeks.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Here's my thing about Hillman.....I am not too worried how big he plays, rather I want to see some improvement in his ability to create space. My main complaint last year was that he often got tackled one on one in the open field, and I find that alarming if you are described as an "electric" back.

I know he's still very young, and it would be good for him to add a few pounds of muscle, especially for pass blocking, but if he is considered an elusive, quick back, I prefer he does not bulk up too much. I want more quickness and elusiveness. I am not sure he has primary back qualities. But I don't care, I just want him to be able to step in and run and catch and block effectively by adding some variation to our backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Here's my thing about Hillman.....I am not too worried how big he plays, rather I want to see some improvement in his ability to create space. My main complaint last year was that he often got tackled one on one in the open field, and I find that alarming if you are described as an "electric" back.

I know he's still very young, and it would be good for him to add a few pounds of muscle, especially for pass blocking, but if he is considered an elusive, quick back, I prefer he does not bulk up too much. I want more quickness and elusiveness. I am not sure he has primary back qualities. But I don't care, I just want him to be able to step in and run and catch and block effectively by adding some variation to our backfield.
                Pretty much echoes my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

A guy can put weight on and get even faster if it is done right which he says happened. Hillman has said that he feels faster then he did last year.

To much is put into height and weight, hillmans 600 carries in 2 years of college show you don't have to be a big back to be a feature back
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I didn't see him tackled 1 on 1 in space that much at all. I saw him get out on the edge with 3 or 4 guys waiting at the LOS for him to make a move.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                      I didn't see him tackled 1 on 1 in space that much at all. I saw him get out on the edge with 3 or 4 guys waiting at the LOS for him to make a move.
                      I saw a number of times when he lost one on one battles in pretty much open field. I have to disagree.

Comment

I agree with you Can but that is not just in Ronnie

It is also up to the coaches and PM to get Ronnie the ball in space

Perfect example is the differnce in how Sproles was used his last year in SD and how NO used him his first year.

U do not give backs like that the ball to run off center/guard on short yardage on a constant basis if u wanna see them maximize their skills

Screens, short passes, tosses, sweeps...those are the kinds of plays that allow Ronnie to fully use his skills. Yea we can feed him some normal carries but the plays mentioned should happen more often then not

Hillman averaged just under 7 touches a game regular season. Would be interesting to know how many of those plays fully took advantage of his skills
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I agree with you Can but that is not just in Ronnie

It is also up to the coaches and PM to get Ronnie the ball in space

Perfect example is the differnce in how Sproles was used his last year in SD and how NO used him his first year.

U do not give backs like that the ball to run off center/guard on short yardage on a constant basis if u wanna see them maximize their skills

Screens, short passes, tosses, sweeps...those are the kinds of plays that allow Ronnie to fully use his skills. Yea we can feed him some normal carries but the plays mentioned should happen more often then not

Hillman averaged just under 7 touches a game regular season. Would be interesting to know how many of those plays fully took advantage of his skills
                          Of Hillmans 95 carries, he had 23 where the play direction was to either the right or left sideline for a total of 148 yards and a touchdown, a 6.44 yard per carry average. Where as he had 62 carries for 182 yards, a 2.94 yard per carry average when between the tackles.

Comment

In his prime, Willis McGahee was an effective runner between the tackles. I don't think the Broncos currently have that kind of workhorse RB. The Steelers took Le'Veon Bell who may be that type of Back.

Alex Gibbs as an OL consultant indicates that approach for Montee and Ronnie which may be the best fit. Counter, Off Tackle and Sweep are still available from Single Back Formations and are also effective.

With Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Wes Welker on the field, two back/I Formations will seldom be seen. Also, those guys preclude the use of an H-Back. Rushing effectively from Single Back requires a good blocking TE and at least one puller, two if GTO is used.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                              Of Hillmans 95 carries, he had 23 where the play direction was to either the right or left sideline for a total of 148 yards and a touchdown, a 6.44 yard per carry average. Where as he had 62 carries for 182 yards, a 2.94 yard per carry average when between the tackles.
                              and this is the point me and Can are making.

Yes it might help to get stronger but we don't care much about that because its obvious Hillman is not a lead back.

He's a COP back who needs to spell Ball and show some speed, and make people miss, have homerun ability and have good hands.

When we drafted him I hoped he was our Sproles.

I know he might not be quite that speed but hopefully he can do well this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X