• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Clady/Sly/cap room/contract info

http://www.jonheath.net/2013/06/allo...-cap-room.html

Friday, June 21, 2013
    Allotting Broncos' 2013 Cap Room to Ryan Clady and Sylvester Williams
    Earlier today, the Denver Post's Jeff Legwold confirmed that center Dan Koppen's one-year deal is worth the veteran minimum of $940,000. That puts Denver's remaining 2013 cap room at around $10,506,000.

Still to be signed by the team are rookie defensive tackle Sylvester Williams and Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady. At first glance, signing both players and still having cap room to spare sound like a difficult task, but it can easily be accomplished.

Last year, the Broncos were negotiating a contract with Clady in the range of five years and a total value of $50 million, but negotiations stalled and the two sides were unable to strike a deal. Since then, the market for left tackles has dramatically decreased, as has Clady's value.

In hindsight, Clady and his agent should have jumped to sign for $50 million a year ago.

The Broncos used their one-year, $9.8 million franchise tag on Clady earlier this offseason, but he has refused to sign it, seeking a long-term deal. Clady will probably get a multi-year contract, but not on his terms.

Denver has the leverage because they do not want to commit to Clady long-term until they see how he performs post-shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, the franchise tag deadline (July 15) is quickly approaching.

If Clady does not sign by the 15th, he will be forced to either holdout for the entire 2013 season or sign a one-year deal with the team, which is precisely what he and his agent are trying to avoid. If they are going to get a long-term deal done, they will have to agree to Denver's terms.

Earlier this offseason, Jake Long signed a four-year, $34 million deal with the St. Louis Rams as a free agent. Clady, much to his chagrin, may end up signing a similar deal.

Long (28, 6'7", 319 pounds) was the first overall pick of the 2008 NFL draft by the Miami Dolphins and started in 74 games for them from 2008-'12, allowing 26 sacks over his first five seasons in the NFL. Clady (26, 6'6", 315 pounds) was the twelfth overall pick in 2008 and has started in 80 games since then, allowing 26 sacks.

Needless to say, both players are very comparable in measurables and performance. Below is a look at the deal Long signed with St. Louis, courtesy of Spotrac.com:

Base

Bonus

Cap Hit

2013 3,000,000 1,250,000 4,250,000
    2014 8,000,000 1,250,000 9,250,000
    2015 9,250,000 1,250,000 10,500,000
    2016 8,750,000 1,250,000 10,000,000

Long's deal included a small $5 million signing bonus which is paid up front. However, that bonus (the guaranteed money) does not all count against the cap in Year One. The league spreads it out to count in $1.25M increments against the cap each season.

So after his base salary of $3M and bonus hit of $1.25M, Long is being paid $4.25M in 2013. Clady and his agent will undoubtedly fight for a larger signing bonus, which may be a deal breaker for both sides.

If the Broncos are able to sign Clady to a contract similar to Long's, they can realistically bank on Clady only counting about $5 million against the cap this fall, leaving $5.5 million still to spend.

That's where Williams comes in. Per the CBA, Williams' signing bonus will be $3,894,000, as it was for Mark Ingram in 2011 and Nick Perry in 2012 (both of those players were selected 28th overall, as was Williams last April). That will spread out as $973,500 cap hits over a four-year period, in addition to the base salary.

Ingram's contract was worth a total of $7,416,750 in 2011 and Perry's was worth a total of $7,499,250 in 2012. If Williams sees a similar increase, he will be looking at a contract worth around $7,581,750.

Here's what that could look like over a four-year period:

Base

Bonus

Cap Hit

$400,000

$973,500

$1,373,500

$803,375

$973,500

$1,776,875

$1,071,750

$973,500

$2,045,250

$1,412,625

$973,500

$2,386,125

If Williams does indeed sign a contract similar to the one laid out above, he will count at just over $1.3M against the cap this season. If you add that to the $5M calculated for Clady, the team could potentially use $6,373,500 of their remaining 2013 cap space to lock up both Clady and Williams.

That would leave the team with $4,132,500 in remaining cap room.

With that additional space, the team can start the process of extending contracts, perhaps starting with punter Britton Colquitt and finishing off with wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker (and eventually Von Miller), but that's another article for another day.

Once Clady and Williams are signed, the team can increase their $4M+ cap room with several looming veteran cuts. But again, that's another story for another time.

For now, know that the team can feasibly get both Clady and Williams under contract and still have salary cap room to spare for 2013.
    I bet Clady is not regretting getting a deal done last year. Still can't believe that we signed Koppen for near the veteran's minimum.
    Last edited by Houshmazode; 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Get Clady in!!

Priority #1 should always be keeping players, especially homegrown ones like Clady.

Comment

I have another link that has been talking about the Denver Broncos Cap Situation
      http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...-Cap-Situation

I don't understand ths articles thinking on Clady.. Clady is already figured in in our cap for 9.8+ million towards the cap. They have aready allocated that amount already. So if Clady decides to do a long-term deal this year the cap would not go down, it actually MIGHT go up, especially if they say that clady will only take a 1st year cap hit of 5.5 million.

9.8 million already accounted for in our cap hit for Clady

if Clady only does 5 millon in first year cap hit then we would actually GAIN 4.8 millon of cap money!!!

Comment

Jake Long is a bad example. He didn't get as much money as he should have for a couple of reason. First off, he took less money to go to the Rams to begin with. He didn't play at an elite level last year and injuries have been mounting up for him. Clady should get and deserves more money than what Long got.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
          I have another link that has been talking about the Denver Broncos Cap Situation
          http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...-Cap-Situation

I don't understand ths articles thinking on Clady.. Clady is already figured in in our cap for 9.8+ million towards the cap. They have aready allocated that amount already. So if Clady decides to do a long-term deal this year the cap would not go down, it actually MIGHT go up, especially if they say that clady will only take a 1st year cap hit of 5.5 million.

9.8 million already accounted for in our cap hit for Clady

if Clady only does 5 millon in first year cap hit then we would actually GAIN 4.8 millon of cap money!!!
          Thats what I was confused about as well. I thought his tag was already factored into our cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
            Thats what I was confused about as well. I thought his tag was already factored into our cap.
            This shows you should NOT always take what these writers are saying is gospel!

Comment

Clady might end up making more $ if he signed the franchise tag for one or two seasons. There is some risk involved and we'll soon see if he is inclined to take it. Maybe he'll be franchised this year and sign a new deal starting 2014.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                Get Clady in!!

Priority #1 should always be keeping players, especially homegrown ones like Clady.

Yeah... tell that to Doom. If there was a cheaper option that we could plug in for Clady and not see all that much dropoff you could bet that Clady would be gone. This ship is run the Patriot way now, like it or not. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The Pats quick turnaround on different players and avoiding the huge contracts (aside from cornerstone players) is how they've been successful for so long. Just don't get attached to anyone.

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Clady might end up making more $ if he signed the franchise tag for one or two seasons. There is some risk involved and we'll soon see if he is inclined to take it. Maybe he'll be franchised this year and sign a new deal starting 2014.
                I think with his surgeries and all that he's not so much worried about the amount of money than the longevity of that money. Getting paid big once or twice won't help him if he can't play anymore after that. I mean, one of those franchise tags would last me 10 lifetimes... but these guys live kinda exorbitantly.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                  I think with his surgeries and all that he's not so much worried about the amount of money than the longevity of that money. Getting paid big once or twice won't help him if he can't play anymore after that. I mean, one of those franchise tags would last me 10 lifetimes... but these guys live kinda exorbitantly.
                  If that is true, he will sign a new contract soon.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    If that is true, he will sign a new contract soon.
                    Yeah, personally I think he's just giving himself some extra vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                      Yeah... tell that to Doom. If there was a cheaper option that we could plug in for Clady and not see all that much dropoff you could bet that Clady would be gone. This ship is run the Patriot way now, like it or not. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The Pats quick turnaround on different players and avoiding the huge contracts (aside from cornerstone players) is how they've been successful for so long. Just don't get attached to anyone.
                      I think that's a good thing. It's the nature of a successful business. Analyze and evaluate objectively, without regard to emotion and relationships.

Identify the cornerstones and keep them. The rest of the roster? Get the most out of every million. If you can get similar results out of someone cheaper do it. Maximize value.
                      Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Look at Wilfork if you guys don't think the Patriots would pay Clady.

Additionally, the Broncos were going to retain Doom for good money. They just
                        didn't think he should be one of the 5 highest paid players in the league, especially when he might not have been one of the 5 best players on the team.
                        Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                          I think that's a good thing. It's the nature of a successful business. Analyze and evaluate objectively, without regard to emotion and relationships.

Identify the cornerstones and keep them. The rest of the roster? Get the most out of every million. If you can get similar results out of someone cheaper do it. Maximize value.
                          Yeah... I guess.

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                          Look at Wilfork if you guys don't think the Patriots would pay Clady.

Additionally, the Broncos were going to retain Doom for good money. They just
                          didn't think he should be one of the 5 highest paid players in the league, especially when he might not have been one of the 5 best players on the team.
                          He would've stayed for 8 a season if they gave any indication that they cared if he was here or not. He took less money to go to Bmore. That's says everything.

Comment

That says he didnt want to.be with the Broncos. On doom.

Elway offered more AAV, guaranteed money and he still left.

On clady, i would imagine elway sees hi as a cornerstone player. Hopefully they get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                              That says he didnt want to.be with the Broncos. On doom.

Elway offered more AAV, guaranteed money and he still left.

On clady, i would imagine elway sees hi as a cornerstone player. Hopefully they get it done.
                              clady sure does think he is all that..

the issue is do the broncos need that much on the OL.. the rest of them are solid players unlike when he came to town he was the best as a rookie..

right now they have at least 3 really solid players if not 4 without him..

as I said in another thread I read somewhere that elite players on the OL in a fast paced offense where most of the t=snaps are being from shotgun, having a guy that can hold someone off for 4-7 seconds just is not that necessary as it was 5 years ago..

it is not like it was when cutler came to town.. there is a boat load of talent on offense now with 5-7 options for the QB to choose from.. and they are all very good options not like in the past..

Comment

Working...
                              X