X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP: Broncos and Clady resume talks

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/d...tguid=siFbRAbg

Ryan Clady, team brass resuming contract talks 07/07/2013 12:01 AM

Ryan Clady has proven to be as tough at the bargaining table as he is on pass rushers.

The somewhat monotonous but extremely serious issue that is Clady's contract negotiations move to the center table this week at Broncos headquarters.

If a multiyear contract extension is not done by July 15, two things happen. One, the Pro Bowl offensive tackle must play the 2013 season on a one-year, $9.823 million salary that came when the Broncos placed the franchise tag on him.

No problem there.

Two, the chances increase that Clady would leave for free agency after the 2013 season.

That would be a problem. Clady isn't just one of the NFL's best left tackles. He's the blindside protector for a brilliant, if immobile, quarterback named Peyton Manning.

Broncos fans have read this before. The haggling between the Broncos and Clady is going on its second year. And the points of conflict have only become more complicated by a depressed players market and Clady's offseason shoulder surgery.

The two sides got serious at about this time last year, when the Broncos offered Clady a five-year, $50 million contract.

But Clady and his agent, Pat Dye Jr., rebuked the offer in large part because of how the deal's first three years were structured.

The $10 million annual average and $16 million in total guarantees were well below the $11.5 million annual average and $23 million in guarantees the Cleveland Browns gave left tackle Joe Thomas in a 2011 contract extension.

Negotiations between the Broncos and Clady broke off before training camp last year. Clady played the season on a $3.5 million salary. To his credit, he played extremely well.

He is one of only four offensive tackles in NFL history who started every game (80) through his first five seasons, and made three Pro Bowls. This would suggest Clady is worth every penny going forward.

The catch is that his ironman streak continued even though Clady suffered a torn labrum in his right (inside) shoulder near the end of last season. Clady played through the injury in the regular-season finale against Kansas City and in the Broncos' playoff loss to Baltimore, when he found it difficult to keep Terrell Suggs from pushing the pocket with one shoulder.

The injury will be on the Broncos' minds as they resume contract extension talks with Clady this week. So will the market value that declined for all players but quarterbacks this offseason.

It won't help Clady that Jake Long, who had been averaging $10.6 million a season through his first five seasons with the Miami Dolphins, signed with the St. Louis Rams in March in a deal worth $8.5 million per season.

To the public, contract squabbles can be a lose-lose situation for both sides. Few Broncos fans will feel sorry for Clady if, in the worst-case scenario, he has to play on a $9.823 million salary this season.

Then again, few Broncos fans will forgive team management if Clady leaves Manning's blind side after this season.

sigpic

I love clady but I don't think he should make more than Joe Thomas. If he does end up leaving, like Dumervil he won't find the market he thinks exists for him.

On the other hand it'd be a travesty not to make him a great offer. He's a good LT and one of the last few players who's been with the Broncos for the last 5 years.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
      I love clady but I don't think he should make more than Joe Thomas. If he does end up leaving, like Dumervil he won't find the market he thinks exists for him.

On the other hand it'd be a travesty not to make him a great offer. He's a good LT and one of the last few players who's been with the Broncos for the last 5 years.
      I would expect the market to be pretty decent for him though. Jake Long has ended the last 2 seasons on the IR so value wise Clady should be better in the injury department and his overall track record is better. I would expect he would at least get what the Broncos offered him last year with the possibility of some team deciding to overpay for a bookend LT.

Dumervil's market was hurt some by the fact that most of the teams that were going to spend big had already spent a big chunk of their budget before he even hit the market. Throw in his age and lack of run defense and it leads the market to not pay as much or have as many teams in the market.

Comment

Get 'er done.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I don't know. I'm sure one way or another if he were really persistent.. he'll get the kinda dough he wants. There aren't too many left handed passers in the league, And Clady is one of the best in the league and protecting that blind side.. Somewhere out there a team will throw dough to keep that position secured. Shanny, Carroll, Harbaugh, and Pagano all have new investments behind center that at least one of them will throw money into to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
            I don't know. I'm sure one way or another if he were really persistent.. he'll get the kinda dough he wants. There aren't too many left handed passers in the league, And Clady is one of the best in the league and protecting that blind side.. Somewhere out there a team will throw dough to keep that position secured. Shanny, Carroll, Harbaugh, and Pagano all have new investments behind center that at least one of them will throw money into to protect.
            Only Pagano could get him. The rest dont have cap room.

Comment

Not sure what they should give him but hes played in every game as a Bronco.

I agree with Cory hes not worth Joe Thomas money but what do you give him then?

I would go 5/60 with 30-35 guaranteed or 6-75 with 40the mil guaranteed.

Comment

We're this | | close to a superbowl, pay the guy Joe Thomas money if that's what it takes.

Comment

I agree, he's not worth Joe Thomas money.......

He's worth more! Clady has proved every season that he is the best LT in the game. No way Jake Long's deal has any effect on his money. 30 other teams would be salivating if we're dumb enough to no get this done and he walks next off-season. He's HOF caliber player and you don't jive around with players like that when u need to protect a HOF QB and anchor a championship line.
                  #swapping

Comment

Jake long won't affect cladys contract because clady is tougher and plays through injuries which is why longs contract was smaller. Maybe clady is worth more towards joe Thomas money, he did play just as good as Thomas this year and when healthy is just as good as Thomas. Whatever the contract is he will be a bronco
                    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Wow Vic said his agent is asking for 12+ mil per year, wants to make him highest paid LT in football.

More than what Thomas got.

No idea what Elway can counter-offer with.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        Wow Vic said his agent is asking for 12+ mil per year, wants to make him highest paid LT in football.

More than what Thomas got.

No idea what Elway can counter-offer with.
                        Thats just stupid. Tag him 2x and then let him walk. IN 2 years if we have not won a superbowl then we may need to invest money elsewhere anyhow.

Comment

The counter-offer is the end of negotiations. The Broncos have yet to sign Sylvester Williams, which is bizarre considering the rookie scale. Make Williams the priority. Give Clady his one-year deal and try again next year. $12+ million per year is an awful idea when the team can tag Clady again in 2014 for $11.79 million. The current market has been set with Jake Long's $8.5 million salary and $16 million guaranteed. Deal with it. Clady is not even 100% healthy and he was not in Denver during OTAs to be evaluated by the team doctors. The Broncos can find another OT in the 2014 or 2015 draft (if they don't have a viable starter in Chris Clark or Vinston Painter).
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                            The counter-offer is the end of negotiations. The Broncos have yet to sign Sylvester Williams, which is bizarre considering the rookie scale. Make Williams the priority. Give Clady his one-year deal and try again next year. $12+ million per year is an awful idea when the team can tag Clady again in 2014 for $11.79 million. The current market has been set with Jake Long's $8.5 million salary and $16 million guaranteed. Deal with it. Clady is not even 100% healthy and he was not in Denver during OTAs to be evaluated by the team doctors. The Broncos can find another OT in the 2014 or 2015 draft (if they don't have a viable starter in Chris Clark or Vinston Painter).

I don't think Long has the same market value as Clady. I don't know if I agree with your assessment.
                            sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                              I don't think Long has the same market value as Clady. I don't know if I agree with your assessment.
                              Same here.

Its a game of chicken who cracks first?

Comment

Working...
                              X