No announcement yet.

Best Corner Trio in Football (NFL.com)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Corner Trio in Football (NFL.com)

It's not exactly what the article states ...but it's my opinion ...I think this D is flying way under the radar...everyone talks about our O but our D was our strength last year besides that one garbage game in the playoffs

Expect Champ, DRC, and Harris to be the best CB trio in the NFL

Yup cant wait to see those 3 on the field. Its between us and Seattle for the best CB trio.

Comment

I read that article and was pleasantly surprised at how glowingly they talked about Harris. It seems those that actually watch Bronco games close understand how good this guy has been for us but those who just watch the highlights continue to just view him as another UDFA that keeps barely making the roster.

DRC is definitely the wild card that can either make this unit as dangerous as any group in the NFL or could once again leave us looking for that possible Champ replacement here in a year or two. This guy looks like the real deal and the only thing stopping him from being one of the greats in the league is himself (well that and incompetent coaching in Philly).

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ris-harris-drc

Making the Leap, Nos. 23, 22: Chris Harris, DRC

By Marc Sessler
        Around the League Writer
        Published: July 11, 2013 at 12:51 p.m.
        Updated: July 11, 2013 at 02:09 p.m.

Around The League will profile the top 40 players we see Making the Leap in 2013. No. 23 and 22 on the list: Denver Broncos cornerbacks Chris Harris and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
        Why Harris and Rodgers-Cromartie are on the list

You can't have enough cornerbacks in today's NFL. In a league increasingly obsessed with the vertical passing game, the Denver Broncos went out and signed Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to a secondary already anchored by Champ Bailey and the ascendant Chris Harris.

Bailey's achievements are well-known, but Harris and DRC get my vote for Making the Leap for one simple reason: If they get it done this season, this might be the best corner trio in the NFL.

Let's start with the undrafted Harris. I dialed up Game Rewind to watch his work from last season, in which he graded out as the league's fifth-best corner, per ProFootballFocus.com. In just his second campaign, Harris thrived in the slot, but he showed enough versatility to play outside when asked. Denver used him all over the formation. Harris was disguised in blitz packages and unafraid to roll the dice. End result: He was the only corner to record multiple sacks (2.5) and interceptions (three) in 2012.

Harris does the small things well. In a critical Week 15 win over the Baltimore Ravens, he held Anquan Boldin without a catch, the wideout's first shutout since 2005. If that handiwork went unnoticed, Harris' back-breaking pick of Joe Flacco did not.

Rodgers-Cromartie is more of an enigma. His first three seasons with the Arizona Cardinals suggested a Pro Bowl-caliber player with the potential to outdo his cousin, Antonio Cromartie of the New York Jets. But DRC's past two campaigns with the Philadelphia Eagles were a strange ride. After 13 interceptions in 48 appearances in Arizona, Rodgers-Cromartie picked off just three passes in 29 games in Philly. Still, at just 26 years old, Rodgers-Cromartie has the size (6-foot-2) and speed to be a No. 1 corner, if he feels up to it.

With a fresh start in Denver, we need to see less uneven play and more of the disruptive coverage he showed in this Week 1 pick of Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Obstacles

Harris didn't wave many red flags last season. The All-22 revealed the occasional missed tackle, but he graded out well against the run, and I saw Harris chase down ball-carriers from across the field. With more talent in-house, the risk is Harris being drowned out or losing that drive he showed from week to week.

I'm more concerned with Rodgers-Cromartie. His career is an enigma. Coach John Fox believes he can be a top-flight corner -- following in his cousin's footsteps -- but DRC struggled in Philly to jell with Nnamdi Asomugha and, initially, Asante Samuel, another trio that sounded great on paper. He's impressed Demaryius Thomas with his "fast" hips, but Rodgers-Cromartie's raw talent isn't the issue. Larry Fitzgerald called him the "best athlete I've gone against," which makes the past two campaigns even more disappointing.
        2013 expectations

In a crushing playoff loss to the Ravens, the Broncos were exposed deep by Baltimore's wideouts. If he returns to form, Rodgers-Cromartie's field speed will solve that issue.

Harris, meanwhile, is just getting started, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve on his interception and sack totals from 2012. He showed promise as a disruptive pass-rusher and he'll be used creatively from wire to wire.

Back to DRC: On his third team already, how will he respond to a fresh start? Now part of a Broncos franchise hell-bent on reaching the Super Bowl, if Rodgers-Cromartie can flip the switch, Denver's defensive backfield will be a beast.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

These kind of claims scare me. I remember when we picked up Dre Bly and we were going to be the best pass defending team in the league, we all know how that worked out. At least this time we have 2 provens (Champ, Harris) and we're just speculating on DRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
            These kind of claims scare me. I remember when we picked up Dre Bly and we were going to be the best pass defending team in the league, we all know how that worked out. At least this time we have 2 provens (Champ, Harris) and we're just speculating on DRC.
            Dre Bly was undersized and didn't have good speed down the field. Those are not concerns with DRC, at all.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
              Well you have to think that this Secondary finished what 3rd in the NFL last year with Champ, Harris, and Carter being the starting 3 corners (Porter can't really be counted much in the equation). If nothing else this unit is just as good as last year as all the starters are returning. So worst case scenario is still having a top 5 secondary. Best case scenario of DRC pans out is having one scary unit that nobody ever wants to go up against. Throw in Carter is returning from injury to compete at safety and Jammer was brought in to compete and the safety play should be a little better as well.

Comment

I am more concerned about who is going to cover TEs or RBs out of the backfield.
                OUR D should have the potential for more deception with mixed coverages, now that it is OBVIOUS that champ is no longer the 'mythological" shut down corner. He will need help over the top if he is responsable for covering ANY of the leagues top tier WR.
                This can be a good thing, if we play our secondary right.
                More teams will figure out that corner blitzes can be productive in defending spread formations, I hope that JDR and fox are ahead of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                  It's not exactly what the article states ...but it's my opinion ...I think this D is flying way under the radar...everyone talks about our O but our D was our strength last year besides that one garbage game in the playoffs

Expect Champ, DRC, and Harris to be the best CB trio in the NFL
                  We had a good defense for the most part, yes, but the offense was our strength. We scored the second most points in the league last season, and the lowest amount of points we scored in a game was 17.
                  sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                  Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by AZ bronco View Post
                    I am more concerned about who is going to cover TEs or RBs out of the backfield.
                    OUR D should have the potential for more deception with mixed coverages, now that it is OBVIOUS that champ is no longer the 'mythological" shut down corner. He will need help over the top if he is responsable for covering ANY of the leagues top tier WR.
                    More teams will figure out that corner blitzes can be productive in defending spread formations, I hope that JDR and fox are ahead of the curve.
                    Woodyard and DT2 were very good at this last year and Bruton was pretty good when he was on the field. When we got burned we were mostly in zone coverage and we will use way less this year and be a dominately a man to man scheme to work towards our secondaries strength
                    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                      We had a good defense for the most part, yes, but the offense was our strength. We scored the second most points in the league last season, and the lowest amount of points we scored in a game was 17.
                      Eh if you go back and watch a lot of games there is a lot of special teams points and defensive touchdowns. Our offense struggled off and on throughout the whole year
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

It's funny you say this seeing as he did it all last year and shut everyone down, his worst game being against AJ Green who he still held under 100yds, and got a pick against

Amazing how a guy gets beat twice and all the sudden everyone has to talk bad about him...just funny...some fans don't know anything they just like to comment like they do

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                          Well I don't necessarily care about the numbers, I remember our offense struggling early more than people remember and our D keeping us in games alot of the time

Comment

With the exception of AJ Green and the playoff game, Champ was as good as any CB in football.

I do agree he doesn't have the speed to keep up with the speedy guys.

To TE's. I could see Harris or Champ covering TE's depending on who we play.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                              It's funny you say this seeing as he did it all last year and shut everyone down, his worst game being against AJ Green who he still held under 100yds, and got a pick against

Amazing how a guy gets beat twice and all the sudden everyone has to talk bad about him...just funny...some fans don't know anything they just like to comment like they do
                              the whole 'shut down corner' concept is a myth IN THE ENTIRE nfl, not just champ.
                              CHAMP has been YEARS removed from taking the best WR on the field,
                              REGARDLESS OF WHERE HE LINES UP, and playing him 1 on 1
                              years removed...but,
                              champ is still a top 10 corner in the NFL, it has just always been EASY for a QB to locate champ and IGNORE HIM !
                              Champ in the last 3 years has been religated to
                              ONE SIDE OF THE FIELD with very rare 1 or 2 game exceptions.
                              it is therefore EASY for any QB to just ignore champ and the WR he is covering.
                              it is also quite easy for opponents to line up their best receiver on the opposite side of champ!
                              champ has not seen many balls come his way because of reputation !!!
                              THIS year, champ will see alot more balls, and the mystyque will no longer be there to limit his potential for mishap.
                              But, this does not mean that champ cannot be more effective as a consequence!
                              with help over the top, champ will be more inclined and FREE to jump routes underneath and use his instincts and ball skills now that he can no longer rely on his cover speed.
                              Last edited by AZ bronco; 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X