Broncos Sign C Steve Vallos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Sign C Steve Vallos

Hours after finding out Dan Koppen would be lost for the season with a torn ACL, the Broncos agreed to terms with center Steve Vallos, pending a physical.

The sixth-year veteran has played 44 career games, starting nine.

Vallos started one game last season for the Jacksonville Jaguars, his fourth NFL team.

He has also spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks, the team that originally selected him in the seventh round of the 2007 NFL Draft.

The former Wake Forest standout has allowed just 1.25 sacks and just two penalties in his career, according to STATS Inc.
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...f-14e52b464548

That was a fast move

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
    Like super super fast lol.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
      Good for us and him, competition is what we need and hopefully someone stands out.

He sounds promising, but I wonder what has kept teams from committing to him/playing him much. 9 starts in 44 games doesnt seem like much, but the fact that he has started gives us some confidence.

Comment

I wonder if he could beat out ramirez
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
          I wonder if he could beat out ramirez
          Vallos hasn't even seen the Bronco practice field yet. If I was in OL meetings and position drills, maybe I'd have a clue.

This isn't the first season Manny has taken (given?) snaps at C. I get the impression he has always been a contingency plan G/C kind of guy.

My gut feeling about Vallos beating out Manny is ... no. Maybe backup, but he has competition for that as well. There may even be a player currently on the roster who hasn't been considered a C candidate who will try his hand.
          Last edited by samparnell; 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Steve Vallos will probably comming in with a vetran minimum contract (about 715k). I do not know any details yet.

Comment

The former Wake Forest standout has allowed just 1.25 sacks and just two penalties in his career, according to STATS Inc.
              how does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
                how does that happen?
                A fourth of a sack?

Maybe he was judged to be only 25% responsible for one. Or, he was 125% responsible for one.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Vallos hasn't even seen the Bronco practice field yet. If I was in OL meetings and position drills, maybe I'd have a clue.

This isn't the first season Manny has taken (given?) snaps at C. I get the impression he has always been a contingency plan G/C kind of guy.

My gut feeling about Vallos beating out Manny is ... no. Maybe backup, but he has competition for that as well. There may even be a player currently on the roster who hasn't been considered a C candidate who will try his hand.
                  Thats probably correct but you never know. Vallos has actually played OC in the league before. This Oline competition has heated up a great deal now and it's wide open at the interior now behind Beadles and Vasquez. For all we know Boren will run away with the job. Probably not but weirder things have happened in the NFL before.

3 OC going down is not a good way to start of TC. Reminds of the year they ran out of RB.
                  Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thats probably correct but you never know. Vallos has actually played OC in the league before. This Oline competition has heated up a great deal now and it's wide open at the interior now behind Beadles and Vasquez. For all we know Boren will run away with the job. Probably not but weirder things have happened in the NFL before.

3 OC going down is not a good way to start of TC. Reminds of the year they ran out of RB.
                    3? I thought we just lost Walton and Koppen and only one of them was lost to an actual practice.

It should be an interesting battle but it's good that Walton is projected to be healthy somewhere around October. The difficulty will be in bringing him a long slowly now that Center is a bigger question mark than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                      3? I thought we just lost Walton and Koppen and only one of them was lost to an actual practice.

It should be an interesting battle but it's good that Walton is projected to be healthy somewhere around October. The difficulty will be in bringing him a long slowly now that Center is a bigger question mark than before.
                      CJ Davis.......
                      sigpic

Comment

CJ Davis.......
                        Ahhh CJ. What's the word on him though? Was it official? I didn't consider him because I haven't heard a word about the injury

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                          Ahhh CJ. What's the word on him though? Was it official? I didn't consider him because I haven't heard a word about the injury
                          tweaked ankle was all I heard. carted off yesterday and didn't practice today but was dressed. He will probably be back very soon.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
                            how does that happen?
                            My guess is that he and the guard were doubling a man who got half a sack.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jclark34 View Post
                              My guess is that he and the guard were doubling a man who got half a sack.
                              That does not sound good.

Comment

Working...
                              X