No announcement yet.

Broncos Reach Out to Ryan Lilja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's worth bringing in. I know he's still likely rehabbing from toe and knee surgery, but his familiarity with Peyton is a bonus.

Comment

He is at least worthy of getting a shot. I'm not against this move.
      sigpic

Comment

This tells me one thing - Manny has not impressed.

I think the FO have zero faith in Ramirez and Blake, they have probably struggled in TC.

You don't call someone out of retirement and offer him the starting job just for depth purposes.

It also probably indicates Kuper is still a ways away from practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
          This tells me one thing - Manny has not impressed.

I think the FO have zero faith in Ramirez and Blake, they have probably struggled in TC.

You don't call someone out of retirement and offer him the starting job just for depth purposes.

It also probably indicates Kuper is still a ways away from practicing.
          i think its more about depth no? ram was the #1 even when koppen was here. although personally, i like kop as the #1, but that is moot at this point.

Comment

Manny will probably start the season at C. Who knows? He may surprise many of us.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

critical position, it makes sense for our broncos to explore all possibilities.

Comment

He has been out of football sense December, If he can pass a physical, then bring him in. Center is one of the most demanding positions on the line, so depth is a must, but to bring someone out of retirement for it is a crap shoot.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                  He has been out of football sense December, If he can pass a physical, then bring him in. Center is one of the most demanding positions on the line, so depth is a must, but to bring someone out of retirement for it is a crap shoot.
                  he played last year and was the 14th ranked C, 7 spots higher than Koppen. He might need some time to get big like Mattydog said and back in shape, but could be an improvement at C, even over last year.

Comment

also here are some numbers on the contract

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 2m

Wonder what base is; that sounds like starter money. RT @MikeKlis: Max value on Ryan Lilja 1-year contract is $2.2 million, incl incentives.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                      Its not a great fit mainly because he has/had nagging injuries requiring surgery even as recent as last year. He has mentioned his body has hit the wall and was considering retirement before last years games even began. Also he never played center with Manning and only did so for the Chiefs out of necessity. He "retired" in December of last year and mental preperation is a real factor to consider. While the depth would be nice and always is, I don't think his experience or injury concerns are any more beneficial than waiting on word from Kuper (possibly) or signing another guy who is healthy and been mentally preparing to go. (perhaps maybe even a TC casualty from another team)
                      But that's just it: his body (and his mind) have had since December to recover. He's not old by any means, and this may have been the rest and subsequent motivation he needed.

I doubt the Broncos are desperate, or just trying something out, or have no faith, etc. Professionals at this level don't go into a fight blindly. Bringing in talent, experience, and familiarity with a QB for relatively cheap sounds like opportunism to me. Could add considerable depth at a few positions; if he's better than what Denver already has? Bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                        But that's just it: his body (and his mind) have had since December to recover. He's not old by any means, and this may have been the rest and subsequent motivation he needed.

I doubt the Broncos are desperate, or just trying something out, or have no faith, etc. Professionals at this level don't go into a fight blindly. Bringing in talent, experience, and familiarity with a QB for relatively cheap sounds like opportunism to me. Could add considerable depth at a few positions; if he's better than what Denver already has? Bonus.
                        He is considerably smaller than any of our other o-linemen. And I'm willing to be he's probably a bit lighter now, maybe not much but he was only 290 to begin with. I still think Ramirez is going to get the first shot at the starting center job.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                          Its not a great fit mainly because he has/had nagging injuries requiring surgery even as recent as last year. He has mentioned his body has hit the wall and was considering retirement before last years games even began. Also he never played center with Manning and only did so for the Chiefs out of necessity. He "retired" in December of last year and mental preperation is a real factor to consider. While the depth would be nice and always is, I don't think his experience or injury concerns are any more beneficial than waiting on word from Kuper (possibly) or signing another guy who is healthy and been mentally preparing to go. (perhaps maybe even a TC casualty from another team)
                          i couldn't disagree more. Waiting on Kuper or a cast off from another team over a 7 year solid starter??? If you really had to pick a starter, tell me you would rather have Ramirez over Lilja.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            He is considerably smaller than any of our other o-linemen. And I'm willing to be he's probably a bit lighter now, maybe not much but he was only 290 to begin with. I still think Ramirez is going to get the first shot at the starting center job.
                            Lilja might be worked in slowly but I bet they throw him out there ASAP and he wins the job in no time. I'm willing to bet he was over 290 last year. On another note...this goes out to those against the ZBS...guess what they ran in KC...ZBS..so Lilja, the new OC has experience already with it.

Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              i couldn't disagree more. Waiting on Kuper or a cast off from another team over a 7 year solid starter??? If you really had to pick a starter, tell me you would rather have Ramirez over Lilja.
                              At the time of discussion he wasn't a FA 7 year starter looking for work. He had retired and cited injuries and his body hitting the wall as reasons why he decided to retire. Now Im very happy he signed because obviously he still has the passion and he feels good enough to make a run at it.......but we didn't know any of this until just recently.

So don't act so shocked that there were concerns offering a contract to a retired player. And FTR Lilja only played C out of necessity, not because he won the job...hes still very raw in that aspect as well. But what he does give us is depth at a couple of positions if Ramirez does in fact win out. I have seen people reference his salary as some indication he will start, but im sure the salary had to be good to entice the guy out of retirement. Im glad we have him I love his familiarity with Manning and worse case scenario he gives us good depth.

Comment

I'm a little late getting this news but I'm just so proud of Elway. Seems like somehow he's getting anything he wants. No quality OL available that's not already retired? No problem. Our pool of players isn't limited to those who are active but unemployed. Of course this is Manning's persuasion if not endorsement too.

Lilja seems like one of the few options available to the Broncos right now that would be somewhat seamless. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution but of the solutions to choose from, obviously up there on the list.

Seeing the story that we were trying to get him out of retirement was unsettling. It tells us all that team doesn't have what it needs in depth. So now that it's done - we got what we want - I feel much more secure.

Another great job by Elway. His first most important move was obviously getting Manning. Once that was done - just having Manning makes all these other acquisitions much easier to lure in. Enjoy these times Denver fans - it wont last forever.

I've heard amazing reports of Brock Oz showing gigantic growth from last season and he's really impressed so far. The reports I'd heard were from cynical talking heads too - not just the kool aid drinkers. If Brock can establish himself as one of the young elites once Manning is gone - maybe we can keep this culture of desire ongoing for another generation.

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Working...
                                X