Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos need big value from short deals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
    Disagree. Champs making 500k more than Cortland Finnegan and in the next year or two will have corners outmaking him by millions. Revis currently makes $6.5 million more than Champ.

    As for Peyton, Eli Manning and Stafford are making more money than he is this year with Drew Brees making 100k less than him followed by Rivers making around 400k less than him.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Contracts are generally on the decline, besides QB contracts. Teams are showing less and less likelihood of paying out those huge contracts. The players rarely live up to them.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      I wouldn't be so sure about that. Contracts are generally on the decline, besides QB contracts. Teams are showing less and less likelihood of paying out those huge contracts. The players rarely live up to them.
      To older, veteran players yes.
      Do you really believe Joe Haden won't break the bank when his contract expires? What you are talking about applies to older players. Mike Wallace got a huge contract for being a one trick pony. DRC if he has a great year will also break the bank. This is one year and it occurred with primarily older players. It's an outlier, hardly something to conclude as being a trend. Know what I'm sayin? If Richarf Sherman keeps it up he will command more money than Revis

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
        To older, veteran players yes.
        Do you really believe Joe Haden won't break the bank when his contract expires? What you are talking about applies to older players. Mike Wallace got a huge contract for being a one trick pony. DRC if he has a great year will also break the bank. This is one year and it occurred with primarily older players. It's an outlier, hardly something to conclude as being a trend. Know what I'm sayin? If Richarf Sherman keeps it up he will command more money than Revis
        There are more $5-8M contracts than the big $10M+ contracts. Revis won't live up to his contract and his contract has 0 guaranteed money. They can cut him anytime and be out of it. Wallace definitely won't live up to his. Miami was desparate and overpaid. Those 2 guys are the outliers, not the other way around.

        DOOM thought he could command big money, he got $5/season with $8M guaranteed. Not exactly a huge contract. The toip DT contract signed was for $8M and that was just a one year deal. Same with DE, Michael Johnson signed a 1 year deal for $11M. I believe the days of the multi year $10M+ per with huge guarantees are on the way out except for the QBs. Pretty soon, it's going to be hard to find those contracts.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
          There are more $5-8M contracts than the big $10M+ contracts. Revis won't live up to his contract and his contract has 0 guaranteed money. They can cut him anytime and be out of it. Wallace definitely won't live up to his. Miami was desparate and overpaid. Those 2 guys are the outliers, not the other way around.

          DOOM thought he could command big money, he got $5/season with $8M guaranteed. Not exactly a huge contract. The toip DT contract signed was for $8M and that was just a one year deal. Same with DE, Michael Johnson signed a 1 year deal for $11M. I believe the days of the multi year $10M+ per with huge guarantees are on the way out except for the QBs. Pretty soon, it's going to be hard to find those contracts.
          While he is hardly an older player. I suspect Miller would break a lot of banks in the near future.

          But you are overall correct mega deals are not happening like they used to.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
            There are more $5-8M contracts than the big $10M+ contracts. Revis won't live up to his contract and his contract has 0 guaranteed money. They can cut him anytime and be out of it. Wallace definitely won't live up to his. Miami was desparate and overpaid. Those 2 guys are the outliers, not the other way around.

            DOOM thought he could command big money, he got $5/season with $8M guaranteed. Not exactly a huge contract. The toip DT contract signed was for $8M and that was just a one year deal. Same with DE, Michael Johnson signed a 1 year deal for $11M. I believe the days of the multi year $10M+ per with huge guarantees are on the way out except for the QBs. Pretty soon, it's going to be hard to find those contracts.
            I guess we will see over the next two years.

            Also regarding Revis's contract

            Revis' six-year, $96 million deal contains zero guaranteed money, which on the surface looks like a fantastic deal for the Bucs. There is a catch, however. The deal is essentially a series of one-year, $16 million contracts and the Buccaneers aren't going to release Revis before the 2013 season, so he will be paid at least $16 million. Each year of Revis' deal has a $13 million base salary with a $1.5 million roster bonus and a $1.5 million workout bonus, totaling $16 million on the year.

            That's $16 million "guaranteed" right there, which is more guaranteed money than any free agent cornerback got on the open market during the 2013 free agency period.

            After the 2013 season, one would have to believe that as long as Revis isn't a complete disaster or gets injured again, he will be on the Bucs' roster in 2014. If he's not, the Buccaneers traded away a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick for an expensive one-year rental player.

            This means it's likely that Revis will wind up with $32 million "guaranteed" in just two seasons of work for the Buccaneers, which is more guaranteed money than he got with his previous deal he signed with the Jets in 2010.
            http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/2...act-buccaneers

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
              I guess we will see over the next two years.

              Also regarding Revis's contract



              http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/2...act-buccaneers
              2. Veterans get squeezed.

              The money saved on the rookies was supposed to trickle down to the veterans, but instead it appears it’s simply going straight into the owners’ pockets.

              While quarterback pay continues to skyrocket, and a couple of veterans were able to cash in during free agency — Miami’s Mike Wallace, Kansas City’s Dwayne Bowe, Cleveland’s Paul Kruger — the incredible value of rookie contracts is now squeezing out many veterans.

              Why would a team pay big money to a free agent when it can simply draft a cheaper, healthier alternative and have him locked in to a near-minimum salary for at least three seasons?

              Some free agents, such as Miami’s Dustin Keller, Seattle’s Michael Bennett, Denver’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and New England’s Aqib Talib, took modest one-year deals after receiving low-ball offers on multiyear deals. Cliff Avril, who played for $10.6 million last year as the Lions’ franchise player and is just 27, was only able to score a two-year deal with $6 million guaranteed from the Seahawks.

              And while the CBA promises minimum salaries for veterans — $715,000 this year for players with 4-6 years of experience, $840,000 for 7-9, and $940,000 for 10-plus — many times it works against them.

              “I’ve had teams tell me all the time, ‘Your guy is a minimum-salary guy, he’s too expensive,’ ” the first agent said. “I have veteran players that would play for $50,000 if they could.”


              a second article:

              Since reducing the share of overall revenues allocated to player costs in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement (CBA), NFL owners have handed out fewer and fewer market-busting contracts. It is now rare to see the game-changing contracts handed out in recent years to players such as wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, running backs Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson and -- sorry Redskin fans -- defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

              Halfway through 2013, beyond predictable extensions for Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers, very few contracts have caused ripples in the market. That inertia could change, though: These five contract situations ahead could raise the bar for their positions and, as the NFLPA hopes, all positions:
              Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                2. Veterans get squeezed.

                The money saved on the rookies was supposed to trickle down to the veterans, but instead it appears it’s simply going straight into the owners’ pockets.

                While quarterback pay continues to skyrocket, and a couple of veterans were able to cash in during free agency — Miami’s Mike Wallace, Kansas City’s Dwayne Bowe, Cleveland’s Paul Kruger — the incredible value of rookie contracts is now squeezing out many veterans.

                Why would a team pay big money to a free agent when it can simply draft a cheaper, healthier alternative and have him locked in to a near-minimum salary for at least three seasons?

                Some free agents, such as Miami’s Dustin Keller, Seattle’s Michael Bennett, Denver’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and New England’s Aqib Talib, took modest one-year deals after receiving low-ball offers on multiyear deals. Cliff Avril, who played for $10.6 million last year as the Lions’ franchise player and is just 27, was only able to score a two-year deal with $6 million guaranteed from the Seahawks.

                And while the CBA promises minimum salaries for veterans — $715,000 this year for players with 4-6 years of experience, $840,000 for 7-9, and $940,000 for 10-plus — many times it works against them.

                “I’ve had teams tell me all the time, ‘Your guy is a minimum-salary guy, he’s too expensive,’ ” the first agent said. “I have veteran players that would play for $50,000 if they could.”
                Well like I said, Veterans are getting the squeeze. Considering the last two years DRC has had, a $5 million contract for one year is simply balling out. Cliff Avril is completely overrated. He didn't deserve the money. He has the likes of Suh to thank and last year both Suh and Fairley to thank. Look at Paul Kruger as they mentioned. He was balling out in the $$$ after just one single year of full-time play. He had recorded a total of 6.5 sacks in 3 years and then had 9 last year and look at the money.

                Like I said, we shall see in the next two years if this was simply just an outlier. I for one, believe it was. We have all this evidence of players getting absurd contracts over the last 10 years with very similar salary caps. I have no reason to believe that based on one year that this will continue.

                Dwight Freeney had a total of 12 tackles last year and still pulled off 2 years for 8.5 million. No other player would pull that type of contract off. He probably could have made $6 million a year had his agent not filled his head with the potential to make $10 + million. Then the demand dried up and he had to take $4 million a year.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                  Well like I said, Veterans are getting the squeeze. Considering the last two years DRC has had, a $5 million contract for one year is simply balling out. Cliff Avril is completely overrated. He didn't deserve the money. He has the likes of Suh to thank and last year both Suh and Fairley to thank. Look at Paul Kruger as they mentioned. He was balling out in the $$$ after just one single year of full-time play. He had recorded a total of 6.5 sacks in 3 years and then had 9 last year and look at the money.

                  Like I said, we shall see in the next two years if this was simply just an outlier. I for one, believe it was. We have all this evidence of players getting absurd contracts over the last 10 years with very similar salary caps. I have no reason to believe that based on one year that this will continue.

                  Dwight Freeney had a total of 12 tackles last year and still pulled off 2 years for 8.5 million. No other player would pull that type of contract off. He probably could have made $6 million a year had his agent not filled his head with the potential to make $10 + million. Then the demand dried up and he had to take $4 million a year.
                  That was before the new CBA and limited rookie deals with no renegotiating for 3 years. It was the huge rookie deals that were driving those huge contracts. Those rookie contracts are gone now.

                  Andrew Luck signed for 4 years at $22M....$5.5M/season with all if it guaranteed. Just 2 years earlier, before the new CBA, Sam Bradford signed a six-year, $78 million contract with $50M guaranteed.

                  Every year, the rookie contracts were going up and the good vets were just keeping up with the rookie salaries. Those rookie salaries are now half what they, maybe even less. There is going to be less and less justification for those huge salaries especially with so few panning out.

                  Mario Williams..$16M..tell me they are happy with that.
                  revis...$16M...that will kill their ability to build their team going forward.
                  Matt Cassell...$10M
                  Doug Free...$8M
                  Kolb..$10M
                  Deangelo Williams...$8M
                  Devin Hester...$10M
                  Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    That was before the new CBA and limited rookie deals with no renegotiating for 3 years. It was the huge rookie deals that were driving those huge contracts. Those rookie contracts are gone now.

                    Andrew Luck signed for 4 years at $22M....$5.5M/season with all if it guaranteed. Just 2 years earlier, before the new CBA, Sam Bradford signed a six-year, $78 million contract with $50M guaranteed.

                    Every year, the rookie contracts were going up and the good vets were just keeping up with the rookie salaries. Those rookie salaries are now half what they, maybe even less. There is going to be less and less justification for those huge salaries especially with so few panning out.

                    Mario Williams..$16M..tell me they are happy with that.
                    revis...$16M...that will kill their ability to build their team going forward.
                    Matt Cassell...$10M
                    Doug Free...$8M
                    Kolb..$10M
                    Deangelo Williams...$8M
                    Devin Hester...$10M
                    It doesn't matter if they are happy with it or not. They got into bidding wars with other teams and were forced to offer big money. Or they didn't hold fast in negotiations.

                    Mario Williams contract was signed after the CBA. DeAngelo and Free signed their contracts when the CBA was verbally agreed upon. Revis obviously did after the CBA. I'm willing to bet that teams will continue to overpay as they always do while the smarter teams will let those players walk. Teams will continue to overpay, that's just how it works. Teams that overpay are typically perennial bottom dwellers because they make those irresponsible decisions to overpay. Look at the teams that always overpay. They are teams that are consistently at the bottom and recently were on the fringe of making the playoffs and for some reason they get caught up in believing that paying one player the price of 4 other solid role players salaries will put them over the edge when all it does is handicaps them.

                    Clay Matthews just got a 6 year $69 million contract
                    Last edited by Matymaddog; 08-17-2013, 08:23 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                      Champ and Manning are overpaid.

                      A 13-3 record is not as impressive as it sounds when you realize three things: 1) Most of the Broncos opponents were underperforming; 2) The Broncos were decisively beaten by all the teams that weren't underperforming, and 3) They nearly lost to several other teams.

                      Then in the playoff game, the Broncos would not even have been in it were it not for two TD kick returns.

                      Finally, let's remember who really lost the playoff game for us. His name starts with an M, but it isn't Rahim Moore.
                      If memory serves me correctly, the 3 losses were 8 points or less and a win is a win, regardless of what you or any other person thinks. It is the NFL, the best players in the world and its any given sunday. 13 wins is very impressive for any team, especially for a team with a brand new QB that hasn't played a snap of football in over a year and no experiance with 95% of the offense.

                      You won't be thinking they are over paid when they are both voted to the probowl, again, and are hoisting a trophy and they are 1 and 2 for mvp voting. Not one person is responsible for that playoff loss, this is a team game and offense, special teams and defense play as 1 unit. If you are still that bitter about last season I would suggest thay you not even watch this up coming season because you will be so miserable to be around. Negative attitudes are cancerous and have no place in organized team sports, players or fan base.
                      Last edited by JvDub95; 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                        I think it's irresponsible to report Bradley will be the starting Mike regardless of Miller winning his appeal or not.
                        I will be disappointed if Bradley is the starter. If so, that would be one of my few beefs about this team. If that's the best we can do in such an important position, I feel we are misgauging the value. Sure, some will say that LBing has changed a bit, so the middle guy isn't as critical, and some will challenge me for "challenging" management. But I stick to my guns on this....lets get the right player at MLB. And I hope Irving's ready.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                          Champ and Manning are overpaid.

                          A 13-3 record is not as impressive as it sounds when you realize three things: 1) Most of the Broncos opponents were underperforming; 2) The Broncos were decisively beaten by all the teams that weren't underperforming, and 3) They nearly lost to several other teams.

                          Then in the playoff game, the Broncos would not even have been in it were it not for two TD kick returns.

                          Finally, let's remember who really lost the playoff game for us. His name starts with an M, but it isn't Rahim Moore.
                          Agreed.

                          10, 6, 6 is decisively?

                          All those games were close.

                          Stupid argument, do ST's not count, pretty sure Bal won the SB in thanks to a kick return. They should of lost because of that by your logic.

                          Moore wasn't the sole reason, the team lost.

                          I find it hilarious people think we'd beat NE or SF even if that play doesn't happen.

                          We got zero pressure on Flacco but playing Brady and that offense would be so much easier.
                          Last edited by ERoyal248; 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Regardless of what happens, I'd hope Bailey and Manning restructure to keep some of our young talent.

                            Would hate to lose some key players because of their high salaries.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                              Regardless of what happens, I'd hope Bailey and Manning restructure to keep some of our young talent.

                              Would hate to lose some key players because of their high salaries.
                              Especially when they've earned so much money already.

                              If we went to Peyton and told him restructuring would be the difference between keeping and losing Decker and/or Beadles, I'm sure that would sway his decision lol.
                              Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                                Especially when they've earned so much money already.

                                If we went to Peyton and told him restructuring would be the difference between keeping and losing Decker and/or Beadles, I'm sure that would sway his decision lol.
                                I think he'd be open to it, he loves Decker.

                                And obviously needs protection with Beadles.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X