SI columnist urges Wes Welker to retire now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgpatsfan View Post
    2 concussions in a 3 week period is huge deal. I think he needs to rest until playoffs, no sense in rushing back. Broncos offense can make due without welker. More concussions make a player more susceptible to repeat symptoms/more frequent concussions. Broncos need him healthy for the playoffs.
    Agree totally.Also Tamme is a very good replacement playing a slot type role.Its very true to say one concussion after another can lead to more.So just rest him till playoffs time.I know there is a "gel" factor but im sure this will be fine as will home seed.

Comment

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
      the biggest damage happens when players return too soon and the brain has not healed.
      I would say this was too soon of a return

Comment

Originally posted by saltparrot View Post
        You guys are acting like it's not a big deal, but clearly he's been affected by all the hits. I triple dare you to name any other player who took a forty minute shower and missed the second half of the game.
        Hahaha, well done indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by saltparrot View Post
          You guys are acting like it's not a big deal, but clearly he's been affected by all the hits. I triple dare you to name any other player who took a forty minute shower and missed the second half of the game.
          LOL I was about to have a retort ready then I read the last line. Well played...
          sigpic

Comment

BTW east coast homer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Pearlman

He should stick with writing about baseball

Comment

I would rest him till the last game and play him a little in the last game just to get him back and get any rust off then pull him until the playoff game hopefully through a bye. I think sitting for over a month with absolutlely no playing time is a lot.
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

The reason I agree with resting him until the playoffs? After a 2nd concussion in three weeks, I don't care when he's medically "cleared," he needs about two weeks off. That would mean week 15 and 16, and he'd be good for week 17. At that point though, assuming we have at least a bye week lined up, there's really no point in playing him that last week.

So from a timing perspective, I'd like to see him miss two weeks, but with the way that works out with the schedule, I'm all for him sitting until the playoffs. Yes, it's a lot of time off, but if anything, that means he'll be in better shape to contribute.
                Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                  The reason I agree with resting him until the playoffs? After a 2nd concussion in three weeks, I don't care when he's medically "cleared," he needs about two weeks off. That would mean week 15 and 16, and he'd be good for week 17. At that point though, assuming we have at least a bye week lined up, there's really no point in playing him that last week.

So from a timing perspective, I'd like to see him miss two weeks, but with the way that works out with the schedule, I'm all for him sitting until the playoffs. Yes, it's a lot of time off, but if anything, that means he'll be in better shape to contribute.
                  Yep! Glad to see a few people agree.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rush_limbaughII View Post
                    I agree. If he is cleared to play by an independent neurologist, he needs to play.
                    When WR Laurent Robinson was here in Jacksonville, I want to say he suffered 4 concussions in one year and he got cleared to play (not sure if it was from a independent neurologist or not) but Robinson said that although he was cleared to play, he knew himself that he wasn't ready. When it comes down to head injuries, my stance will always be in the favor of the player health vs him helping us win a game. At the end of the day IT'S A GAME.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
                      Welker should play as soon as he is cleared, whenever that is. Sitting him out makes no sense as receivers need timing with their quarterback and the rest of the team. No neuro is going to let him return until he has passed every test free and clear and that might be after San Diego and maybe later. He is a competitor and will want to play. No concussion is good, but the biggest damage happens when players return too soon and the brain has not healed.
                      This.

The NFL has a specific protocol and process to follow in the case of a concussion. You don't "rest him until the end of the season", or "until the playoffs", or "one game" or "two games".

You follow the procedure that the NFL has laid out, and if he's ready to play in a week, according to the team Doctors who follow the specific protocol, then he plays. If he can't pass the neurological tests until after the Superbowl, then he's out for the season.

Comment

Warning an NFL player today about concussions is like telling a smoker cigarettes are bad for them. They've heard it all before and they know the risks. Nate Jackson's book goes into the safety issues surrounding the NFL in great detail. Jackson hates what the NFL stands for, yet if Shanahan called him in for a tryout this afternoon he would be on the next flight to Washington. These guys take pride in being warriors and fighting through injuries.

I certainly think Welker should do what is right for him and his family (not saying it would be right for him to retire, just that it is up to Welker and not some journalist trying to paint himself as a humanitarian), but I would be beyond shocked if Wes hung up his helmet before his contract is up.

Comment

Not sure why some are so anxious for Welker to play ASAP

We have the division in hand. Yea we need wins to keep up with NE but if we need Welker to beat SD then our team has bigger issues.

If Welker does play and gets another concussion we may loose him for the year.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                          X