Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenon: New Man in the Middle

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...new-man-middle

Paris Lenon will make his fourth start of the season Thursday night.
    DENVER BRONCOS

Wesley Woodyard began this season as the Broncos' defensive captain and starter at football's most romantic defensive position of middle linebacker.

Starting defensive tackle Terrance Knighton said Woodyard has the been the best leader he's been around. Knighton kidded that Woodyard was a "teacher's pet" to defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, the two talked so much.

But Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, Woodyard no longer was starting. He went back to his early seasons of 2008-11, when he primarily was a special-teams and sub package player.

Paris Lenon is the Broncos' new starting middle linebacker. Changes happen for a defense ranked 25th in both yards and points allowed. Woodyard was not available to the media Tuesday or Wednesday.

"You don't want guys happy not to be doing more," Del Rio said. "You want guys that are striving to do more. That's the good part."

It's not like Woodyard has been beat out by a slouch. Lenon, 36, was an every-down starting inside linebacker from his 2005 season with the Green Bay Packers through last season with the Arizona Cardinals. He played when Woodyard missed games against the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts with a neck stinger, then went back to the bench when Woodyard healed. Woodyard was pulled in the fourth quarter of the Broncos' game two weeks ago at Kansas City, then watched Lenon start Sunday against Tennessee.

"I've been chomping at the bit to play," Lenon said. "That's why you're in this league. I just show up and play ball."

So what's the deal?? Has Wood really played that bad this year or is JDR just looking to rest some guys??
    sigpic

Not sure I'm liking this. When Woody is not in there, it seems like we don't play as well. I'm hoping it's just for rest and evaluation. I'm praying Woody is in there during the playoffs. I just have a bad feeling about this and don't know why. Not sitting well with me.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Wes is on the light side to be playing MLB couple this with the fact that he has a neck stinger problem and the loss of big bodied vick at DT the bigger bodied lenon makes a lot of sense.I Would let WW revert back to his normal position next season and get a MLB in the draft if the brass dont like irving.I do like irving.For this whole season everyone on here has been saying why on earth sign Paris as he was too old and useless.As we enter the final weeks and playoffs he may prove the best FA signing of all.

Comment

Not sure what to think about this.Resting Wes against the Titans makes sense but against the Chargers while they are fighting for a playoff spot doesnt. Paris is horrible, does not sit well with me having him start this game. But rest a healthy defense is what we need i just hope the 3rd stringers can pull it out. With Jammer,Omar and Paris in its not looking good.( Not sure if Nacho is ruled out)

Comment

This is beyond ridiculous to me.

Why is W. Woodyard being replaced by a 10+ year, 36 year old veteran in P. Lenon?

It would make more sense if W. Woodyard's replacement was younger and a potential
          long term answer at ILB.

It would make more sense if N. Irving was his replacement at least this will
          tell us if he is a future replacement for Woodyard.

(I know N. Irving is now a OLB but he was drafted as a OLB/ILB)

Comment

Does anyone think this will make our D any better? I don't but I guess we shall see. It seems like a Dline needs chemistry so rotating guys in and out might be counterproductive. But, I'm going to trust the coaches on this.

Comment

Hmmmm......confusing to me. Woody was one of our studs. Lenon is just not that good. I was hoping Irving was next in line.

I have been an advocate for drafting a quality ILB for some time. Lets do it this coming year. Mind you, hard to get the best at #32....

Comment

USA Today had a good read on it

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...dyard/3993505/

Del Rio said Wednesday that he understood Woodyard's frustration and also appreciated it. It is better than the alternative of Woodyard just passively accepting a reduced role — not that Del Rio or coach John Fox was calling Woodyard's reduced playing time a demotion.

"It's just a situation where we are doing what we need to do to get ourselves ready to play our best football down the stretch," Del Rio said. "Part of that is getting guys ready to play. Part of that is getting guys rested and healed. And part of that is making sure we utilize the talent we have
                I'm not going to read into it any further then that

Comment

Originally posted by notmyname View Post
                  USA Today had a good read on it

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...dyard/3993505/

I'm not going to read into it any further then that
                  OK, that sounds better.

Comment

We have allot of experienced coaches who have made allot of good moves since they been here.

I really like Woody but I also trust our current coaches more then I have in a real long time.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I trust that the staff will do what is best to win THIS YEAR. Maybe Woodyard is gassing out in the second half... or maybe Lenon has been practicing and playing better than we know about. Again, I trust these guys and I am not concerned unless it is a health issue. GO BRONCOS!
                      res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        Does anyone think this will make our D any better? I don't but I guess we shall see. It seems like a Dline needs chemistry so rotating guys in and out might be counterproductive. But, I'm going to trust the coaches on this.
                        What you want is any available defender coming off the bench being able to run any call in the whole defense. These measures are intended to accomplish that. Depth is only what is available. There is more to being available than having a name added to a list. Players must master individual skills, learn the entire playbook and show the ability to do that on the playing field.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          What you want is any available defender coming off the bench being able to run any call in the whole defense. These measures are intended to accomplish that. Depth is only what is available. There is more to being available than having a name added to a list. Players must master individual skills, learn the entire playbook and show the ability to do that on the playing field.
                          Thanks Sam, I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
                            Wes is on the light side to be playing MLB couple this with the fact that he has a neck stinger problem and the loss of big bodied vick at DT the bigger bodied lenon makes a lot of sense.I Would let WW revert back to his normal position next season and get a MLB in the draft if the brass dont like irving.I do like irving.For this whole season everyone on here has been saying why on earth sign Paris as he was too old and useless.As we enter the final weeks and playoffs he may prove the best FA signing of all.
                            His "normal" position is WOLB. Trevathan is outplaying WW at WOLB and WW is a FA. Moving him back to WOLB is a bad plan unless they move Trevathan to MLB.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think Lenon is better than you guys are giving him credit for.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X