X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Carter ready to shine for the Broncos

By Patrick Saunders
    The Denver Post

Tony Carter, a 5-foot-9, 175-pound cornerback, was engulfed by the media in the Broncos' locker room this week. He seemed a little shocked, but he handled the attention usually reserved for a star player as best he could.

How he plays against quarterback Tom Brady and the New England Patriots' passing attack in the AFC championship game Sunday is a bigger, more important matter.

After spending much of the season on the bench because of a series of early season mistakes, Carter has been thrust into the spotlight because starting cornerback Chris Harris went down with a knee injury in Denver's divisional playoff victory over San Diego last Sunday.

Carter said he's ready.

"My confidence is always high, no matter if I'm playing or not playing," he said. "We'll be ready. It's a big game, so there's no time for thinking about what did and didn't happen."

Head coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio aren't about to reveal how they will replace Harris, arguably Denver's best cover corner this season. The Broncos will likely try several looks, but Carter could be in the spotlight.

"We need everybody that's going to be up, corners, safeties that are involved and that get a uniform," Del Rio said. "We need him to help us win, help us play well. I wouldn't isolate on any one guy. I think we've got a number of guys that will be up and used in different combinations and the guys that play need to play well."

When the Broncos line up in their base defense, Brady will likely see veteran Champ Bailey lining up opposite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. But when the Broncos find themselves in the nickel package, with five defensive backs, Bailey will likely be asked to shift inside to cover the slot receiver and Carter will line up as the other outside corner.

Carter's promotion would come at the expense of Quentin Jammer, who struggled against San Diego after Harris was injured. Jammer was beaten twice on the opening drive of the fourth quarter, including a 16-yard touchdown pass to Kennan Allen that cut Denver's lead to 24-14.

But Carter has had his share of high-profile miscues. He was essentially benched after Denver's 51-48 victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 6 when Tony Romo torched the Broncos for 506 yards passing. When the Broncos lost 34-31 in overtime to the Patriots on Nov. 24, wide receiver Wes Welker tried to wave his teammates off a Patriots punt. Welker's call came late and the punt bounced off Carter, allowing the Patriots to recover the ball and kick the game-winning field goal.

And not to be forgotten is Carter's role in last year's playoff loss to the Ravens. Everyone remembers the sight of the flailing Rahim Moore allowing Jacoby Jones get behind him for a miracle 70-yard touchdown pass that tied the Ravens-Broncos playoff game late in regulation. But it was Carter who was supposed to jam Jones near the line of scrimmage, then cover him down the sideline. Neither happened.

Now Carter gets a shot at redemption — against Brady, one of the all-time greats.

"That's why you are a professional football player. You always have to be ready to play and do your job at the best of your ability," Carter said. "He's one of the best quarterbacks to play this game, so you've just got to be prepared 100 percent. He doesn't make many mistakes. As a defense, we're going to have to come out and execute and just be on top of our game, because he doesn't make many mistakes."

SOURCE:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2qjhFGnBt

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Get you some Tony-
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Now would be the best time to turn on the lights and prove your worth. We need every player out there playing at 110%. Anything less keeps us from the Super Bowl.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I've been saying all week, I think he would be perfect for Edelman. They are both around the same size & Edelman won't be bullying Carter, that's where Carter seems to struggle with the bigger receivers.....

Comment

Come on Tony. We are rooting for you. We know you have it in you. Just do your job. I want to be proud of you.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Time for both Champ and Tony to step up.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think he is going to seize this oppurtunity & play a great game, perhaps even get a pick?
              sigpic

Comment

Jam, jam, jam these receivers at the LOS. Our pass rush will cause havoc if we can keep the ball in Brady's hand a little longer than usual. We can not let their receivers have space to catch and juke us for a lot of yards.

If we are physical with their WRs we will win. If we play off 10 or more yards we will be picked apart.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                  I've been saying all week, I think he would be perfect for Edelman. They are both around the same size & Edelman won't be bullying Carter, that's where Carter seems to struggle with the bigger receivers.....
                  I agree..I think he will shine. Its not cliche when they say the team with the best 53 wins the game.
                  res ipsa loquitur

Comment

I've always liked Carter even though people bash him for being beat by bigger receivers or giving up garbage time TDs. At his size he plays just as good as you could hope for.

Go get em sticky man

Comment

If we play Jammer i'm going to to the zoo to punch a baby panda bear! Tony Carter balled for us last year and should get first shot against the cheatriots
                      sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                        If we play Jammer i'm going to to the zoo to punch a baby panda bear! Tony Carter balled for us last year and should get first shot against the cheatriots
                        Jammer's best game this season was against the Patriots.
                        Denver Broncos GM
                        Originally posted by Mosk
                        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

I'm hoping he comes off the bench big like Knowshon did last year with a huge chip on his shoulder and beats the crap out of the patriots
                          sigpic

Comment

Carter is going to step up and play big in this game. They don't call him sticky man for nothing.
                            sigpic
                            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

From what Ive seen Carter has the speed and technique to get it done. He does a great job of turning his hips and using the sideline to cut off the WR. Sadly he is just too small to cover the bigger WRs of today. He also has been dealt a raw deal on most of the penalties hes been called for. Hes almost always in great position but his size causes problems that make contact look worse than it is. Theres even been times hes been called for PI for not looking back for the ball but watching in slow motion he actually did look back but his head is so small you couldnt even tell lol. No joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X