Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Ludi incipiant, stulte.

You think you know Cover 3? How many seams does it have?
    The answer to this question would depend on the formation the offense is in no? There is a possibilty of 4 seams, but unless your throwing a hail mary why would you use all of them? Anyways, the way we play cover 3 is a little different than other teams. We press the WR at the LOS and then bail to our spots which is usually deep. Then the LB's and SS move to their spots in the zone and watch for those crossing routes and then they light up those completions in the middle. The way the Hawks play defense, a lot of is based on how tough your WR will be. We have seem Kam Chancellor lay the wood down on many TE's and WR and they all of a sudden develop a case of the alligator arms when they run through the middle. Crabtree wanted no part of a crossing route in the 4th quarter. Vernon Davis has been owned by Kam Chancellor (I've seen Niner fans even admit to this). The enforcer plays a huge part in our cover 3. The other scheme we run is cover 1 (sorry bud, I still consider this man coverage and not a zone). We again press at the LOS and play man coverage with a single safety high. Because of ET's speed, we forgo protecting the middle of the field with the expectation that ET will give us plenty of protection we need. This gives us an extra LB to play run, or rush the QB. The way we play these two schemes are so close that often QB's get confused which one we are playing and will throw the ball to the wrong spot. Of course there are variations of how we play this, but its usually minor changes.

Comment

If you are relying on Peyton to get confused and throw to the wrong spot,you might want to re-evaluate your thinking.

Comment

The cardinals beat them in Seattle I'm not concerned
        sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by tonray View Post
          Heck, I'm not even sure how many seams are in my slacks....do I count pleats or are they different altogether ?
          Count them all!
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by hawksfan76 View Post
            The answer to this question would depend on the formation the offense is in no? There is a possibilty of 4 seams, but unless your throwing a hail mary why would you use all of them? Anyways, the way we play cover 3 is a little different than other teams. We press the WR at the LOS and then bail to our spots which is usually deep. Then the LB's and SS move to their spots in the zone and watch for those crossing routes and then they light up those completions in the middle. The way the Hawks play defense, a lot of is based on how tough your WR will be. We have seem Kam Chancellor lay the wood down on many TE's and WR and they all of a sudden develop a case of the alligator arms when they run through the middle. Crabtree wanted no part of a crossing route in the 4th quarter. Vernon Davis has been owned by Kam Chancellor (I've seen Niner fans even admit to this). The enforcer plays a huge part in our cover 3. The other scheme we run is cover 1 (sorry bud, I still consider this man coverage and not a zone). We again press at the LOS and play man coverage with a single safety high. Because of ET's speed, we forgo protecting the middle of the field with the expectation that ET will give us plenty of protection we need. This gives us an extra LB to play run, or rush the QB. The way we play these two schemes are so close that often QB's get confused which one we are playing and will throw the ball to the wrong spot. Of course there are variations of how we play this, but its usually minor changes.
            No. Cover 3 has seven zones regardless of the offensive formation: deep thirds, and four short zones. There are a total of seven zones in Cover 3.

Go back to post #15 by LynchMobster where he references two articles on how to attack Cover 3. Click on the first one. There is a diagram that shows the Cover 3 zones. Count the seams. If the sidelines are included, there are twelve seams on that diagram. The field has lines, hashmarks and numbers which are used as guidelines for zones. If the two inside short zones are wider as a result of making the short zones the same size, there could be as many as fifteen seams, but twelve is evident on that diagram.

I don't recall ever having called Cover 1 a zone defense. You were the one who incorrectly called it a middle of the field open (MOFO) defense. I reiterate, Cover 1 has a Single High Safety assigned neither to a man nor a zone. There are no zones in Cover 1. I told you this before. Try to retain this fact. Cover 1 is MOFC (middle of field closed) due to the Single High Safety. Cover 3 is also MOFC.

If you are interested in educating yourself, you might try to find Sid Gillman's guide on how to attack Cover 1 through Cover 9. It is often presented as a companion to Bill Walsh's twelve part outline on how to dictate to defenses through the use of formations. They used to be available for free from fastandfuriousfootball.com

Comment

Coach Sam does it again! Sam says we are going to tear them up and I believe him!
              sigpic
              Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
              2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
              2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Well, they are showing the top 10 gems of Broncos plays on NFLN just now, and I have to say, our Broncos are lookin' good!

Comment

You guys are hilarious. We run cover 3 all the time and we've had the #1 scoring defense (the stat that matters when it comes to defensive ranking) two years running.

Yeah, I'm sure Peyton's gonna carve it up for five touchdowns. I can't wait to browse this forum after the Super Bowl's over.
                  Seahawks fan.

Comment

How the officials call the rubs is going to be interesting. ESPN says that the officials will see the hawks leading the league in all penalties (by far and away) and personal fouls and will watch to not let things get out of hand. I think they will let them play, but I doubt they are going to allow DB'S to unload on a defenseless receiver. The hawks maybe don't realize what it is like to either; not get the majority of the calls in their favor, or to get flagged for stuff officials let go at their home stadium. At home, teams get called for fouls that have to do with the excessive noise. Officials were afraid (yes they were) to drop flags on PI in Seattle. You saw what happened in Carolina when the officials picked up the flag, Seattle was really scary for them. It will be different at the Super Bowl-neutral for both teams, but it will probably feel like a road game to the hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by RolandDeschain View Post
                      You guys are hilarious. We run cover 3 all the time and we've had the #1 scoring defense (the stat that matters when it comes to defensive ranking) two years running.

Yeah, I'm sure Peyton's gonna carve it up for five touchdowns. I can't wait to browse this forum after the Super Bowl's over.
                      Oh, you're back! Still working on the answer to the Cover 3 question? Got it yet? Hint: Just read the posts in the thread. You might accidentally learn something.

PS This is not the Smack Forum. This is one of the fora where real football played on real football fields by real football players is discussed. If you don't have anything substantive of a football nature to contribute to the conversation, may I suggest you move it over to Smack?
                      Last edited by samparnell; 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I could talk to Sam for hours. I am geeking out reading his descriptions of a properly executed defensive formation! Thank you Sam for being a Broncos fan.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X