X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii007
    replied
    Originally posted by famicommander View Post
    Luckily the basis for comparison is not us "couch potatoes", but rather, other great quarterbacks.

Manning has been to three Super Bowls and has not played particularly well in any of them. Even in the one he won the man threw for only 247 yards and a pick on 38 attempts. He was exceedingly lucky Rex Grossman and the Bears had five turnovers.

And of course we all remember Tracy Porter's pick-six in the other Super Bowl the Colts went to.

It's hard to deny now. Manning has a history of having his worst performances in the biggest possible games. He's still an incredible player and anyone who denies that is a fool, but he can be an incredible player AND a choker. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The problem is the contrast; the DIFFERENCE in his level of play between regular season and postseason. He has absolutely carried bad teams into the playoffs before and he deserves all the credit in the world for that fact, but that doesn't excuse his poor decision making upon arrival in the playoffs regardless of the talent around him. HE sets the tone for all his teams; HE calls the plays, HE'S the leader, HE'S the engine that makes his teams go. The rest of the team absolutely quit yesterday when it was clear Manning was a deer in the headlights.
    And have you heard any "great quarterbacks" actually given him the grief that the talking heads do about his post-season record? They all know how random the game of football is and how everyone has bad games. That is why, even though the wins in the playoffs are great, but to consistently be at the top of your game, even in the regular season is just as impressive. Lesser QBs can go on hot-streaks for a few games and win it all, like Flacco last year, but that doesn't mean he is better than Manning or Brady last year. Also, even though he threw the game-clinching pick-6 to Porter, he actually played pretty well in that game against the Saints overall, 31/45 for 333 with 1TD and 1INT. So he had one bad play within a very good and efficient game. Of course Wayne dropped a TD at the end of the game which probably wouldn't have changed things in terms of the game result, but if Wayne catches it, at least they have the chance at an onside kick recovery and 55 seconds left to score.

Leave a comment:

• orangenblue420
    replied
    Originally posted by PManningTKO View Post
    I still LOVE how he is the only QB in history to get so much crap for making Superbowls 3 times, winning one, and winning 5 MVP's. Still a choke artist though? Dumb and blind people may think that, but do any of you couch potatoes know how hard it is to make the playoffs let alone the Superbowl?
    So you dont think his demeanor and the way he played kind of warrants these comments - I personally feel our team choked but he lead the way - did you see his face after that botched first play - I knew it was over right then and there because he had such a defeated look about him - I think he was scared of getting crushed and his career ending to be honest

Leave a comment:

• orangenblue420
    replied
    Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
    The INTs weren't his fault yesterday, they were tipped
    No they were his fault the first one I didnt see a tip ( i could be wrong) - the second should have never been thrown even though it was tipped - he had no reason throwing that ball

Leave a comment:

• HUMCALC
    replied
    The INTs weren't his fault yesterday, they were tipped

Leave a comment:

• famicommander
    replied
    Originally posted by PManningTKO View Post
    I still LOVE how he is the only QB in history to get so much crap for making Superbowls 3 times, winning one, and winning 5 MVP's. Still a choke artist though? Dumb and blind people may think that, but do any of you couch potatoes know how hard it is to make the playoffs let alone the Superbowl?
    Luckily the basis for comparison is not us "couch potatoes", but rather, other great quarterbacks.

Manning has been to three Super Bowls and has not played particularly well in any of them. Even in the one he won the man threw for only 247 yards and a pick on 38 attempts. He was exceedingly lucky Rex Grossman and the Bears had five turnovers.

And of course we all remember Tracy Porter's pick-six in the other Super Bowl the Colts went to.

It's hard to deny now. Manning has a history of having his worst performances in the biggest possible games. He's still an incredible player and anyone who denies that is a fool, but he can be an incredible player AND a choker. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The problem is the contrast; the DIFFERENCE in his level of play between regular season and postseason. He has absolutely carried bad teams into the playoffs before and he deserves all the credit in the world for that fact, but that doesn't excuse his poor decision making upon arrival in the playoffs regardless of the talent around him. HE sets the tone for all his teams; HE calls the plays, HE'S the leader, HE'S the engine that makes his teams go. The rest of the team absolutely quit yesterday when it was clear Manning was a deer in the headlights.

Leave a comment:

• PManningTKO
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    PFM is a class act and he is a big reason we made it that far. I have enjoyed watching him this year and I thank him for a prolific season. That said, Manning sometimes seams to fold under pressure when things start going wrong especially in big games. He choked bad yesterday and it was hard to watch. Unfortumately, Roddo is right and it will stay with him for good reason.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Scolon
    replied
    Oh, and the orange has to go. Back to blue. Seriously, it's cursed. Not just because of all the prior superbowls we lost in it, but also look at the Browns. Forever cursed because of those helmets.

Orange don't win superbowls. EVER. The football gods hate that color.

Leave a comment:

• Peyton Manning leaves crushing Super Bowl loss with reputation intact

Peyton Manning leaves crushing Super Bowl loss with reputation intact

It might not matter to some, but I think it speaks volumes of the man Manning is.

At some point, though, at some level, what really matters about a man is how they treat people who hold no leverage over them, let alone how they treat those people in moments of tumult when it would quite understandable if they just ignored the request.
Working...
X