No announcement yet.

Champ Bailey To Return For 2014 - considers position change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Champ and wish he'd retire, but doubt he will. The guy can tackle but he lacks the quickness for DB today. The only way he's an asset is he gains 35 lbs of muscle and plays LB.

Comment

Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
      I love Champ and wish he'd retire, but doubt he will. The guy can tackle but he lacks the quickness for DB today. The only way he's an asset is he gains 35 lbs of muscle and plays LB.
      Mike Adams is quicker than Champ Bailey?

I think Bailey is wonderfully suited to playing safety in this pass happy league. One of his strong suits as a corner was that he was always watching the quarterback and able to make a play on the ball. As for run support....Bailey has been the best tackler on this team for at least half of his tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
        A guy who can lay the wood is nice, but the NFL is moving away from that. More times than not youre getting an unnecessary roughness call and a fine. You'd be better off getting a guy who can make the open field tackle, and can cover guys.
        I understand your point. Kam Chancellor didn't get any penalties called on him and he certainly made his presence felt. That's all I'm asking for. A guy who plays tough and can knock someone on his @$$. None of our safeties do it. Duke is the closest thing but unfortunately he's not in position to use his physicality most of the time.

Comment

I love Champ but he isn't worth more than 2.5 mil at the most next year. I would actually consider throwing the Vet minimum at him. How many times in every sport do we need to watch great players rapidly diminish while still having ridiculous contracts. This team needs a lot more help than Champ Bailey can give us at this point and that money would be better spend elsewhere (DE,CB,S,MLB,OG,WR).

Also, Charles Tillman is a heck of a player but he shouldn't be signed for more that 2 mil per year either. He is a turnover machine but he has lost a step and will be 34 when next season begins. No point in offering another stupid contract to an aging player. 1 Year at 1-2 million with a chance to win a ring.
          Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
          Supporting this staff!
          Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
            I understand your point. Kam Chancellor didn't get any penalties called on him and he certainly made his presence felt. That's all I'm asking for. A guy who plays tough and can knock someone on his @$$. None of our safeties do it. Duke is the closest thing but unfortunately he's not in position to use his physicality most of the time.
            Not to mention the number of times Duke took the worst angles possible when tackling someone. At least Moore can play the pass and improved his tackling 10 fold this season. I think Moore needs to start at FS and we need to look at replacing Duke asap. Chancellor has turned into a very nice player and someone along those lines would be ideal to pair with Moore.
            Backing Moreno, Ayers, and Smith for 09.
            Supporting this staff!
            Yes, I know my name is outdated, too lazy to care though hah = )

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
              I blame JDR for trying to plug and play Champ into slot corner. That's just not what he does and it showed. He struggled in the slot when completely healthy in the past.

I still think he can hang on the outside. However, a restructured contract must happen or I don't see a place for him on the team. Safety should definitely be explored in the offseason... he can still play outside, but we need a safety with coverage ability and good instincts.
              Agreed. He will most certainly need to restructure his contract, and I would bet he's willing to do that. And maybe a move to safety is the best option. Champ has always been one of the best tackling corners in the league, so a switch to safety might work well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                Yeah, Colts parted ways with Edgerrin James, drafted Joseph Addai and then won the SB.

Sometimes, a fan favorite has to be let go if he is not in the future plans of the team.

Outside the QB position, it almost seems like the wrong side of 32 or 33 years old is not an age you hitch your franchise future on for most positions. Yes, there are exceptions but they are exceptions, not the norm.
                Yea I saw allot of fan favorites get pushed off the team for our first two Rings. It happens.

I know this is a highly arguementative opinion but frankly I think Pride cost us what could have been a real good safety and gave us a CB3 or CB4 who was exposed allot by good teams.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                  Champs tackling abilities are still superb
                  how can you tell? He had 14 tackles all regular season and he will be a year older next season. In the post season he had 7 and some of those were after big gains. I think many people are over estimating his abilities as a safety. Players like Rod Woodson made great conversion safeties because they switched when they were still in their prime. Champ is not in his prime anymore and his skills have deteriorated. I think Champ would be serviceable but to think he would be some kind of star is a pipe dream, imo.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'd actually trust Champ more in the tackling department than I would with Rahim "the dream" Moore.

Hell, I'd take both of them over Duke Ihenacho - worst player on defense.

Comment

I'm glad he is finally being rational and considering the move to Safety.
                      sigpic
                      What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Comment

Champ moving to safety and taking a big pay cut is win/win situation.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X