Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is how Seattle dominated Denver’s offense

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This is how Seattle dominated Denver’s offense

    Greg Cosell’s Super Bowl Film Review: This is how Seattle dominated Denver’s offense

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1436--nfl.html

    The gist of it is, their D-line dominated our O-line, got pressure on Manning early, forced throws and made him work faster than he wanted. Our guys were getting open against their DBs, Manning just couldn't see it because he was too worried about the pass rush. They only blitzed 5 times, and they still worked us.

    O-line is the biggest key to re-tooling in the offseason. If we can't get better there, everything else wont matter. If we want our running game to improve, and to give our D more time to rest in between series, our O-line just has to be better.

    I know this isn't a revelation for a lot of you, but there is some detailed analysis in the article that helps put it into perspective.
    sigpic

  • #2
    I wonder who Greg Cosell is? He doesn't seem to have much of a football background besides broadcasting.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #3
      1. Avril tore up Franklin in 2011 and everyone put it on Tebow....just curious is it still Tebow's fault this time?

      2. Hawks pass rush is so good because they rotate allot of guys and keep the legs fresh...at no point did I see u doing a pure hurry up trying to keep their fresh legs on the sideline and limit their strength.

      We have to change our OL and gameplanning or if we see them again I do not think things will be any different.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree, we have to keep shaking things up on the OL when we meet them at the Clink. We need to throw them off balance and be more aggressive on the D line...I hope the team uses these months to prepare for that season opener...if they do, I think they will have the skills to be competitive for the rest of the schedule.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          I wonder who Greg Cosell is? He doesn't seem to have much of a football background besides broadcasting.
          He has decades of analysis of coaching film as a senior producer for N.F.L. films, and is well known in the industry. He's a behind the scenes guy that could probably get a GM job tomorrow for someone.

          http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ype=blogs&_r=0
          When he was the defensive coordinator for the Giants, Broncos Coach John Fox would occasionally make the short trip from Rutherford, N.J., to Mt. Laurel. “I would talk to Greg at the combine and different places,” Fox said. “I have great respect for him because he works hard at what he does. He’s approached it more from the coaching aspect and the design of what’s happened on the field.”
          Al Saunders, who has known Cosell for over 20 years, said: “He might be one of the premier resources of football knowledge in the country. His insight and knowledge of the people and the game itself is unparalleled.” Asked if he would go so far as to say that Cosell could be an N.F.L. general manager, Saunders said: “Without question. And he would be a tremendously successful one.”
          Asked if Cosell could be a G.M., (Rams General Manager Billy) Devaney said, “Absolutely. There’s no question. Especially on the pro side, he spends most of his time – well, I shouldn’t say ‘most of his time’ because he’s up on the college stuff, too. He could easily be a college or pro director tomorrow for some team. And because of his work ethic and intelligence, he certainly has the ability to advance beyond that.”
          I trust his analysis as much or more than just about anybody's. I think if you took the time to digest more content from him, you would come to realize he is very competent to deliver the type of analysis that I linked to in the OP.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Yep, I agree whole-heartedly, as stated in the keys of facing the NFC West thread. O-Line is top priority and needs to be addressed in FA and the draft. It's too much to hope for, but I want another Clady.

            Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
            2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
              I want another Clady.
              I want another Dan Dierdorf
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                Greg Cosell’s Super Bowl Film Review: This is how Seattle dominated Denver’s offense

                http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1436--nfl.html

                The gist of it is, their D-line dominated our O-line, got pressure on Manning early, forced throws and made him work faster than he wanted. Our guys were getting open against their DBs, Manning just couldn't see it because he was too worried about the pass rush. They only blitzed 5 times, and they still worked us.

                O-line is the biggest key to re-tooling in the offseason. If we can't get better there, everything else wont matter. If we want our running game to improve, and to give our D more time to rest in between series, our O-line just has to be better.

                I know this isn't a revelation for a lot of you, but there is some detailed analysis in the article that helps put it into perspective.
                Not really, if we can get a good right tackle and move Franklin into the inside (which I think he is better at) and Clady isn't hurt, I think we could beat them. You wanna know how they Man handle us? the "Real Reason" is they had help from the Injury bug. Not saying we shouldn't do anything but we just need to buff up Right tackle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chronoless View Post
                  Not really, if we can get a good right tackle and move Franklin into the inside (which I think he is better at) and Clady isn't hurt, I think we could beat them. You wanna know how they Man handle us? the "Real Reason" is they had help from the Injury bug. Not saying we shouldn't do anything but we just need to buff up Right tackle.
                  It has nothing to do with being one-dimensional? If you were a DE who had been kicked out a few times on Off Tackle, G Power and Sweep plays, how aggressively do you think you'd be playing pass? What if you saw run steps and it was PAP?

                  None of that has anything to do with moving Orlando Franklin to Guard. It has to do with running a balanced offense where half the plays are runs and half the pass attempts are PAP. I seriously doubt if Franklin will be moved to Guard.

                  Offensive Line coaches start their best five and shuffle until each guy is in his best spot. Being in your best spot means being able to do well what each play requires.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    It has nothing to do with being one-dimensional? If you were a DE who had been kicked out a few times on Off Tackle, G Power and Sweep plays, how aggressively do you think you'd be playing pass? What if you saw run steps and it was PAP?

                    None of that has anything to do with moving Orlando Franklin to Guard. It has to do with running a balanced offense where half the plays are runs and half the pass attempts are PAP. I seriously doubt if Franklin will be moved to Guard.

                    Offensive Line coaches start their best five and shuffle until each guy is in his best spot. Being in your best spot means being able to do well what each play requires.
                    The Seahawks didn't respect our ability to run at all. They felt that way going in.

                    Was it because we lacked balance? Or that they knew we weren't that effective anyway?

                    Personally I think it's a bit of both.

                    When you're getting pressure with three and four guys against an offensive line, you're whooping their ass. I don't care if they can pin their ears back and go for it every down because you lack balance or not. You have a man advantage built in. You shouldn't be allowing that kind of pressure on nearly every down. And then to not give guys like Franklin, who was getting his ass kicked by Avril all night, any help? It's not just personnel problems.

                    There is a lot going for this team. But we're talking about winning a Super Bowl. They have to be better. Obviously.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                      The Seahawks didn't respect our ability to run at all. They felt that way going in.

                      Was it because we lacked balance? Or that they knew we weren't that effective anyway?

                      Personally I think it's a bit of both.

                      When you're getting pressure with three and four guys against an offensive line, you're whooping their ass. I don't care if they can pin their ears back and go for it every down because you lack balance or not. You have a man advantage built in. You shouldn't be allowing that kind of pressure on nearly every down. And then to not give guys like Franklin, who was getting his ass kicked by Avril all night, any help? It's not just personnel problems.

                      There is a lot going for this team. But we're talking about winning a Super Bowl. They have to be better. Obviously.
                      It's easy for a defensive front to look good if all they need to do is rush the passer. The best O-Linemen are going to look bad if you ask them to drop back into pass protection and maintain the pocket for an immobile QB.

                      Even Cliff Avril isn't going to look so perky after he's been earholed a few times. What is needed is an understanding of the effect a balanced offense has on a defense.

                      Defenses are coached to stop the run first. They can tell from the first step of the O-Line if it's run/PAP or Pass/draw. When an offense is balanced and half the pass attempts are PAP, three out of every four plays look look like run.

                      Denver has the personnel to run a series-based rushing attack to compliment the existing passing attack. Whether or not they have the commitment and/or expertise remains to be seen. It's on Gase and Manning. Being 60/40 pass needs to be rethought and reworked.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Virgil Green is our best blocking TE and I don't think he was even active for the game. I think our staff rolled the dice believing we could be effective with a passy happy game plan against the Seahawks. Obviously, their gamble was wrong.

                        I've seen Denver have good rushing attacks as part of their game plan at various times in the season (KC comes to mind). I don't know why they didn't think it was necessary against the Seahawks. You can't really attack the Seahawks secondary if you're not going to keep their front seven honest.

                        I understand that part of the problem was the fact we fell behind so quickly and were forced to throw, but it sure seemed as though we were not serious about running in that game at all, other than hoping a few times they wouldn't expect it.

                        If there's any vulnerability in Seattle it's probably against the run, and also getting their DB's to bite on the double move.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                          If there's any vulnerability in Seattle it's probably against the run, and also getting their DB's to bite on the double move.
                          In 2012, Seattle was susceptible to double moves... especially Brandon Browner.

                          In 2013, not so much.

                          I don't have any data to support my claim... just watched every Hawks game several times.
                          "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                            In 2012, Seattle was susceptible to double moves... especially Brandon Browner.

                            In 2013, not so much.

                            I don't have any data to support my claim... just watched every Hawks game several times.
                            Visual data is still data.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                              In 2012, Seattle was susceptible to double moves... especially Brandon Browner.

                              In 2013, not so much.

                              I don't have any data to support my claim... just watched every Hawks game several times.
                              DT got behind the defense several times, but because Manning didn't have time to throw he couldn't hit him. The pick six specifically comes to mind. DT was behind both the safety and Richard Sherman down the sideline. That's where Manning was trying to go with the ball when his arm got hit and the result was a pick six.

                              It might not always work against Seattle's D, but against their game plan it probably would because of the way they were trying to jump routes. Their plan was to not give Manning 3 seconds and jump all of the underneath routes. DT was able to get separation down the field more than once.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X