Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Wes Welker's Roster Spot safe?

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/...ster-spot-safe

Broncos receiver Wes Welker is owed $6 million in 2014 but is scheduled to count $8 million against the cap, reports ProFootballTalk.com. The team might not want to pay Welker his $3 million bonus due next month and his $3 million base salary, and could seek a pay cut [...]
    sigpic

I honestly think this is a bunch of hype generated by absolutely clueless reporters that have nothing to do during this slow nfl off-season time.

Welkers contract was just set up differently.
    in 2013 he got 4 million up front bonus and a 2 million base salary, but the Denver Broncos only accounted for 4 million cap amount
    so...welker got paid 6 million + in 2013
    in 2014 he will get a 3 million base and a 3 million roster bonus and will have to account for 2 million of that up front bonus. so the cap figure for welker is higher this year at 8 million.
    and...welker actually will get paid 6 million in 2014.

this is accounting that the Broncos decided to do. It just means we will get harder against the cap with welker this year.

If they did cut welker now, the Broncos would have to account for 2 million in dead money anyway.

My bet is Welker will be there for the 2014 season.
    Last edited by johntbronco; 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
      I honestly this is a bunch of hype generated by absolutely clueless reporters that have nothing to do during this slow nfl off-season time.

in 2013 he got 4 million up front bonus and a 2 million base salary, but the Denver Broncos only accounted for 4 million cap amount
      in 2014 he will get a 3 million base and a 3 million roster bonus and will have to account for 2 million of that up front bonus. so the cap figure for welker is higher this year at 8 million.

this is accounting that the Broncos decided to do. It just means we will get harder against the cap with welker this year.

If they did cut welker now, the Broncos would have to account for 2 million in dead money anyway.

i believe his contract is fully guaranteed. He isn't going anywhere, especially if they let decker walk in FA. no way would they let 2 of their top 3 WR go at the same time.
      sigpic

Comment

How close to Boston is the reporter making this assumption?
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I honestly this is a bunch of hype generated by absolutely clueless reporters that have nothing to do during this slow nfl off-season time.

1000% agreed they wouldn't have signed him for 2 years and cut him after 1
          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

It's something to consider.

Save 6 million, would cost 2 million in dead money.

Could use that money to keep Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
              It's something to consider.

Save 6 million, would cost 2 million in dead money.

Could use that money to keep Deck.
              That doesn't sound right to me. I'm pretty sure all but about 2million of his contract is gauranteed.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                That doesn't sound right to me. I'm pretty sure all but about 2million of his contract is gauranteed.
                I cut him on the OTC calculator, it factors in dead money.

Only 2 mil in dead money, would save 6 mil.

Comment

If he does get released (which is unlikely, unless he has lingering concussion problems), it would be hilarious if we signed Edelman (which some are speculating might happen).
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                    If he does get released (which is unlikely, unless he has lingering concussion problems), it would be hilarious if we signed Edelman (which some are speculating might happen).
                    I had to LOL at that!! Just the thought of that....
                    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      i believe his contract is fully guaranteed. He isn't going anywhere, especially if they let decker walk in FA. no way would they let 2 of their top 3 WR go at the same time.
                      He's already recieved all his real guaranteed money in a 4 mill bonus last year and a 2 million salary.

Welker's $3 million roster bonus and base salary in 2014 are guaranteed for injury only and will vest to fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the League Year. So...since he is not injured, that means if you cut him now you wouldn't have to pay him the 3 mill bonus and 3 million salary, but there would be a 2 million dead money hit from the bonus you paid him last year. (But, they won't cut him)
                      Last edited by johntbronco; 02-12-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

He's already recieved all his real guaranteed money in a 4 mill bonus last year and a 2 million salary.

Welker's $3 million roster bonus and base salary in 2014 are guaranteed for injury only and will vest to fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the League Year. So...since he is not injured, that means if you cut him now you wouldn't have to pay him the 3 mill bonus and 3 million salary, but there would be a 2 million dead money hit from the bonus you paid him last year. (But, they won't cut him)
                        I ndidn't realize it was injury only, but yes, i agree they won't cut him.
                        sigpic

Comment

I would cut him in a heartbeat. Guy didn't play that big of a role on the team, considering how much they're paying him. Pretty replaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                            I would cut him in a heartbeat. Guy didn't play that big of a role on the team, considering how much they're paying him. Pretty replaceable.
                            Same thoughts here.

Comment

I was only mildly disappointed at times with him last year and if he is cut the first question would be, 'who would be an upgrade'? It might make sense to keep him next year and identify a replacement afterwards.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X