Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway at the combine

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h
    Elway: "We'll assess that (whether the Broncos will be inclined to trading up or down). We'll look at all those possibilities."

Elway: "I was proud of the way our defense played in the Super Bowl ... they hung in there." Cites play in absence of multiple starters.

Elway: "There's a mentality that we want to create where when we get down like that (in Super Bowl 48), we're able to get it turned around."

Elway: "With free agency, we're trying to get ourselves in the position where we don't have a glaring draft weakness & reach on somebody." (This quote intrigues me)

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 36m
    John Elway, on Ryan Clady's progress: "Ryan's good...He finally got all of the hardware out of his foot and he's really on the mend now."

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 14m
    Also Elway said Manning will have end-of-season neck exam neck week in Denver -- "He should be fine.''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 15m
    More Elway: Will also sit down with Champ Bailey in coming weeks to see what Bailey's plans are for '14..

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 16m
    #Broncos VP/GM John Elway said he'll meet with John Fox's agent in coming days at combine about a new deal ''I want to get him done.''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m
    And one more -- all soon on http://ESPN.com -- Elway on #Broncos UFRs -- "I think they have to hit the market, the market sets those'

Some interesting stuff, good to hear about Clady though.

I definitely do find that quote about Free Agency very intriguing as well. Depending who we resign we could have about 4-5 holes to fill and I just don't see us doing that quite through FA. I would love to see FA fill about 2-3 of those holes and the draft the others but wouldn't mind one bit if we got what we needed in FA then used the draft to get the best players available even if it means they have to sit for a year and be a role player. I could see that in the 1st round with like a DE, Safety, or Corner where we get a 1-year rental but go ahead and draft their replacement with the idea of them starting the next year.

Clady getting healthy is definitely nice to hear. From all that I have heard all of our guys like Wolfe, Moore, Miller, Harris, Vick, and Clady should all be ready close to training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by cdumler7 View Post
      I definitely do find that quote about Free Agency very intriguing as well. Depending who we resign we could have about 4-5 holes to fill and I just don't see us doing that quite through FA. I would love to see FA fill about 2-3 of those holes and the draft the others but wouldn't mind one bit if we got what we needed in FA then used the draft to get the best players available even if it means they have to sit for a year and be a role player. I could see that in the 1st round with like a DE, Safety, or Corner where we get a 1-year rental but go ahead and draft their replacement with the idea of them starting the next year.

Clady getting healthy is definitely nice to hear. From all that I have heard all of our guys like Wolfe, Moore, Miller, Harris, Vick, and Clady should all be ready close to training camp.
      Harris may not be ready by camp but it looks like he may be ready by Week 1 since it was only 30% torn.

Moore/Wolfe/Vick should be fine.

Havent heard much with Von.

To FA, maybe not breaking the bamk on key positions but value type signings to fill holes leaving the draft free to go BPA.

If they were to make a big splash, i'd like one of Ward, Bennett/Johnson or Donald Butler.

Comment

Ugh, Fox. I can't support a long-term resigning. Any resigning at all really.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeusOnEarth View Post
          Ugh, Fox. I can't support a long-term resigning. Any resigning at all really.
          Who do you suggest, then?

I'm not a huge fan of his, but not much out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Who do you suggest, then?

I'm not a huge fan of his, but not much out there.
            That's a cop out. Used to hear the same excuse made for Shanahan for the last several years of his regime.

Look, you could hire a trained baboon to coach this team during the regular season. PFM runs the offense, so all Fox has to do is manage the game and prepare the team for the playoffs, and in two postseasons, he has been an abject failure.

He had his coaching hat handed to him by John Harbaugh in the loss to the Ravens, and the job he did In the SB was an absolute embarrassment.

I am not surprised Fox will get an extension, because he was Elway's hire, but next postseason will be the same deal; the Broncos won't show up at some point and get beat...again.

Bottom line, John Fox won't lead any team to a Super Bowl win. He is absolutely incapable.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
              That's a cop out. Used to hear the same excuse made for Shanahan for the last several years of his regime.

Look, you could hire a trained baboon to coach this team during the regular season. PFM runs the offense, so all Fox has to do is manage the game and prepare the team for the playoffs, and in two postseasons, he has been an abject failure.

He had his coaching hat handed to him by John Harbaugh in the loss to the Ravens, and the job he did In the SB was an absolute embarrassment.

I am not surprised Fox will get an extension, because he was Elway's hire, but next postseason will be the same deal; the Broncos won't show up at some point and get beat...again.

Bottom line, John Fox won't lead any team to a Super Bowl win. He is absolutely incapable.
              Up to the players to play/execute, Fox cant control that.

That being said, i'd wait and see how it would play out before extending him.

Personally i'd like to see Gase as HC but thats another story.

Comment

And Elway said he expects all of the Broncos' unrestricted free agents, including running back Knowshon Moreno, wide receiver Eric Decker and linebacker Wesley Woodyard, to test the market before considering if they would re-sign with the team.

We're going to be in the market for some LBers. Whether it's in free agency or Draft letting Woodyard test free agency tells me we're looking to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post

It's not a cop out, and you still didn't offer a solution. So who out there is better for the post-season (since the team will coast through the regular season anyway)? Who available is a SURE FIRE improvement? Who available has a better playoff resume, that would unquestionably upgrade the team immediately? Oh, and who with those qualifications WANTS to coach again (so you don't select the uninformed rhetoric of Cowher or Gruden)?

I'm not saying I'm in love with Fox, just looking for a solution instead of complaining about what's in place.

Comment

I would blame Gase over Fox for the SB. I was surprised we did not come out with max protect in that game to counter the physical style of the defense we were playing. I understand doing what got us there, but after the batched snap, I think max protect and some screens, running plays, so on would have let us calm down a bit.

as for Fox, he won two big games against SD and NE...those felt good, real good. Two teams that have been a thorn for us for many years. I look at it as turning the corner. Now stability will be best and we will move forward...with Fox, a great decision imo.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                      I would blame Gase over Fox for the SB. I was surprised we did not come out with max protect in that game to counter the physical style of the defense we were playing. I understand doing what got us there, but after the batched snap, I think max protect and some screens, running plays, so on would have let us calm down a bit.

as for Fox, he won two big games against SD and NE...those felt good, real good. Two teams that have been a thorn for us for many years. I look at it as turning the corner. Now stability will be best and we will move forward...with Fox, a great decision imo.
                      So Gase gets credit for the loss, and Fox gets credit for the wins?

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
                        So Gase gets credit for the loss, and Fox gets credit for the wins?
                        No, everyone gets credit for both, just find it interesting most here are quick to blame Fox alone, when our offense did not adjust to the defense in the SB. Not Gase's finest moment.

I am not saying Gase or anyone should be fired, but there does seem to be quite a bit of torches and pitch forks out for Fox, which is silly imo.
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Really, Idiot_Kicker makes a good point...

Not that SB 48 is a sure fire indication, but I watched the entire 'Sound FX' and the only role John Fox has is throwing a challenge here and there and thwarting or bowing down to Manning as to when we got for it on 4th down. He is essentially a puppet with a title of head coach.

You can go with the "who would you suggest replace him" stance, which is valid, but realistically ANYONE could do what John Fox did for the Denver Broncos this season. He plays such a limited role in the outcome of games, and he gets paid well to do fill that limited role.

A "steady hand" coach (ex. Fox, Reeves, Wade Phillips) who lets it's team run itself has not won or even been competitive in a Superbowl since George Seifert with the 1994 49ers...

We do not need a Pete Carroll/Jim Harbaugh media lightining rod of a coach, but just one who brings something to the table. This is not to totally discount what Fox has done with the team, because his consistency model is what turned the Broncos from 4-12 to 8-8 and so forth, but this is what he has always done, but that's it.

The consensus is, past and present, that Fox does not bring the "it" factor to a team looking to get over the SB hump, and this is what the Broncos are solely playing for in this closing window, right now.

Comment

I believe the Broncos can upgrade at head coach but at the same time I also agree it's easier said than done. There are too many risks. A brand new face from the coordinators' ranks would be like giving the keys to a rookie; you don't know what you're gonna get. Plus, a new head coach means a new staff and we'd lose several assistant coaches which remain one of our strengths in my opinion. Adam Gase, Jack Del Rio, Dave Magazu, Eric Studesville, Richard Smith, Clancy Barone. Fox's experience and connections at least allowed us to hire and keep some good coaches to fill the staff and a new head coach could blow everything up.

Among the proven head coaches, Elway was very interested in Jim Harbaugh back in 2011. There is some tension between Harbaugh and the 49ers and they almost traded him to Cleveland. I'd not be against Elway doing some research to check Harbaugh's availability. I just don't see the energy in Fox anymore. His game management has been bad: the challenge flags, the timeouts... He's been outcoached in the playoffs multiple times. The team looked completely unprepared for the Super Bowl.

Fox will be remembered for his "successful season" and "not too shabby" comments after an embarrassing massacre that will haunt us for years to come. I just don't feel good about him getting a contract extension right now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Elway thought there was an issue with the coaching after we lost to the Hawks in the preseason. This is a conclusion based on PM saying he felts Elway's comments to the team after that game were directed at the coaches as much as the players.

I am pretty sure after the Super Bowl Elway felt what needed to be felt.

If a change can happen it will. Like mentioned it is not easy to make a change at this point and it may not be possible to pull off.

TB changed coaches and won a Super Bowl.
                              Dal did it before.
                              SF did it

Look at what happened to SD in their attempts to "get over the hill" and get creative by getting rid of Marty Ball tho.

I trust if something can be done it will...but people need to be prepared the coaching staff may not change at all when week 1 2014 is here.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X