Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway is building a contender for Osweiler

- Elway is building a contender for Osweiler -

"I keep hearing how our window is closing, and how it will shut when Manning retires. Well, that's all complete garbage. We're not mortgaging our future, we're investing in it. And the biggest asset Elway has tucked away was added to our portfolio in 2012: Brock Osweiler.

So why do I have such faith in our 57th overall pick from that year? Because Elway does. At least four teams (most notably the Texans) have tried to pry "Ice Water" from our clutches this offseason, and each one was told that we weren't interested. If we thought he was a bad pick, we would have jumped on the deal quicker than the Jags sent Gabbert to the 49ers for a sixth-round pick. But no, we wouldn't even listen to offers. If that doesn't tell you for a fact that he's our future, you'll just have to wait and see it happen for your own eyes. Mark my words, Osweiler will start and he will be great."...

As someone who really likes the Osweiler selection (I know, unpopular opinion) I feel it's pretty premature to say he'll be great... I'd be thrilled if he is, and I can see it happening, but premature, nonetheless.

That being said... I fully agree with the premise of this article... I've felt from the beginning of the Manning era that we were not only building to win now, but to win for years to come as well.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Meanwhile fans and teams across the league think we're in this "win now" mode and only that and they believe that once Manning retires we'll fall off the radar again. With the way Elway is aggressively attacking drafts and free agency periods, they are going to be in for one hell of a surprise.
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

This forum is pretty split down the middle with opinions off Brock. Odd thing is, everyone has an opinion without seeing him play a full season or 2. Can't tell how good he can be or bad he is off preseason games and garbage time.

I personally think he has the potential to be a star, but not the potential to pure greatness.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          This forum is pretty split down the middle with opinions off Brock. Odd thing is, everyone has an opinion without seeing him play a full season or 2. Can't tell how good he can be or bad he is off preseason games and garbage time.

I personally think he has the potential to be a star, but not the potential to pure greatness.
          He only needs to be good enough to competently work with the tools Elway puts around him and as a team, we can still continue to be a contender even with Brock at the helm in that scenario.

Look at guys like Flacco, he's got a ring now, and it's because he's good enough to do well with the tools around him. He's not great by any means. He's no Montana or Elway or Favre etc... but he's gotten the job done. Or maybe he's a beneficiary of a great defense like Eli and Big Ben...Those two aren't great either, but they work well enough with what they have and now they have multiple rings.

That's all I'd ask of Brock, but if he can exceed those expectations then, I'm definitely all for it!
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Let's see how he looks in the preseason first...
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I totally agree.

I went to the Pre-season game 4 last year and had my whole section chanting "OZ, the Great and Powerful" as he took the field.

Watching his arm in camp, seeing his work ethic and intelligence on display. I am actually very excited for the age of Oz in the Mile High City. I tel my wife I am the biggest Oz fan in Denver as a joke, because no one has any idea how good he is capable of being except of course "The Duke", and Emily Diana

GB2

Comment

I do not think many people actually hated Oz as a QB...just felt they did not like taking a QB when we had PM for another 3-4 years. There is a decent chance Oz becomes a free agent without ever having played a serious meaningful NFL snap for us to judge just how good is he.

That is why people did not want us taking him at that point.

Now that we are two years down the road I am sure more people are over this. PM will be gone soon and it is nice that we already have a highly talented QB waiting.

Personally I like the route we took. I think Brock Osweiler will be more confident when he takes the field...he will be more composed and there is less of a chance he will get mentally damaged from being thrown into the fire before he is ready.

What I worry about is PM does ALLOT for this team in terms of OC type stuff and I hope the Broncos are ready to replace that when PM retires...because Os will not be ready to take over that gap at this point in his career and it would be unfair for us to expect him to.
                Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

Comment

I completely agree that we are NOT in a win now only mode. The contract structures from Elway are very smart and potentially keep us freed up over the coming years.

Now whether or not Oz is any good is a whole other discussion. Obviously he is good enough that we have kept him around as our backup option with pretty much no other competition. However, Elway knows better than anyone that no one will know what Oz can do until Oz gets a chance. I personally will not fool myself into believing this is Andrew Luck or Russel Wilson maybe in talent level. However, if he comes in, he won't be coming in as a Rookie. No, he will be coming in with an incredible amount of tutelage and preparation.

Comment

Only the Broncos really know what they have with Osweiler. His future in part hinges on when his contract expires and when Manning retires. Elway & Co. have done well addressing needs and seizing opportunities when they are presented. If Elway thinks he needs a QB, he'll go get one. He's done it before. When Peyton retires, plenty of money will be available for that purpose.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by 16TheSnake View Post
                      I totally agree.

I went to the Pre-season game 4 last year and had my whole section chanting "OZ, the Great and Powerful" as he took the field.

Watching his arm in camp, seeing his work ethic and intelligence on display. I am actually very excited for the age of Oz in the Mile High City. I tel my wife I am the biggest Oz fan in Denver as a joke, because no one has any idea how good he is capable of being except of course "The Duke", and Emily Diana

GB2
                      Sorry, but I know nothing except the very little bit I've seen him play. The guy writing the article I quoted (Zach Eckels), seems to have him figured out. For the Broncos' sake, let's just hope he's right about that "he will be great" thing.

Comment

One thing to bear in mind, when Brock takes over, there will also be a makeover in the offensive system. What we see in preseason is typically Oz running Manning's offense. Honestly, I'd expect a more Vertical game, and wouldnt be surprised if we heavily utilized 2 TE sets.
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Just remember how long Steve Young rode the pines after SF acquired him from TB.
                          Didn't hurt him at all to play second fiddle and learn a few things from Joe Montana.

Hope Os is learning a lot from Peyton.
                          I also hope Zac Dysert stays on the Bronco roster.

Last edited by AZ Snake Fan; 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                          The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                          http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                          My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                            One thing to bear in mind, when Brock takes over, there will also be a makeover in the offensive system. What we see in preseason is typically Oz running Manning's offense. Honestly, I'd expect a more Vertical game, and wouldnt be surprised if we heavily utilized 2 TE sets.
                            Sure. Osweiler can do a legitimate Boot which livens up the Zone Series.
                            Last edited by samparnell; 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It will only take one season of Brock for us all to realize he won't cut it

Comment

Working...
                              X