Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Teams Benefiting From Return Of Injured Players

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...njured-players

Since the 2014 league year began in early March, Around The League has reset all 32 NFL rosters and declared the biggest winners and losers in free agency.

Another way to win the offseason? Welcome key players back from injuries that ruined their 2013 seasons -- or at least hampered their team's ability to compete.

Let's take a look at five teams with the most to gain from injured players returning to full health in 2014:

1. Green Bay Packers

Bryan Bulaga - 16 (games missed)

DuJuan Harris - 16

Jerel Worthy - 14

Casey Hayward - 13

Randall Cobb - 10

Aaron Rodgers - 7

Clay Matthews - 5

Nick Perry - 5

Brad Jones - 4

The Packers have made this list for the second consecutive season, which explains why they have been bounced from the playoffs despite boasting the NFL's best player in Rodgers. Although the injuries to key starters such as Bulaga, Hayward and Matthews contributed to Green Bay's postseason demise, it was Rodgers' fractured collarbone that contributed most to the mediocre won-loss record.

With so many players returning, Mike McCarthy's club is one of the league's deepest even if Julius Peppers is the only significant addition.

2. New England Patriots

Vince Wilfork - 12

Tommy Kelly - 11

Jerod Mayo - 10

Rob Gronkowski - 9

Sebastian Vollmer - 8

Shane Vereen - 8

Aaron Dobson - 4

Kenbrell Thompkins - 4

The Patriots have a strong claim for the top spot on this list. Four of the team's top eight players dropped within a one-month span.

In addition to losing the NFL's most dominant skill-position player in Gronkowski, they also entered the playoffs minus their two most important defensive stars (Wilfork, Mayo) as well as premier run-stuffer Brandon Spikes.

Even if Gronk and Wilfork are eased into the regular season, this roster should be considerably stronger by January.

3. Atlanta Falcons

Mike Johnson - 16

Kroy Biermann - 12

Sam Baker - 12

Julio Jones - 11

Sean Weatherspoon - 9

Steven Jackson - 4

Roddy White - 3

Jones is the engine that makes the Falcons' offense go. They were a competitive team with him and a pushover once his season ended in early October.

The offensive line and defensive front seven -- already areas of major concern -- were exposed on a weekly basis once Baker, Johnson, Biermann and Weatherspoon left the lineup.

The nucleus of Thomas Dimitroff's roster isn't much different than the one that averaged 12 wins from 2010 to 2012. If the general manager hits on a young pass rusher and a bulwark at left tackle early in next month's draft, the Falcons could reclaim the NFC South.

4. Denver Broncos

Ryan Clady - 14

Von Miller - 7

Rahim Moore - 6

Derek Wolfe - 5

Kevin Vickerson - 5

Wes Welker - 3

One of the reasons the AFC field was so weak in the playoffs was that its strongest teams were decimated by injuries. The Broncos made it to the Super Bowl without their best defensive player (Miller) and one of the league's premier blindside protectors (Clady).

Already the class of the conference, Denver will gain five starters returning from injury in addition to a trio of Pro Bowl-caliber free-agent additions.

If they meet the Seahawks in the Super Bowl again, the outcome will be different.

5. Indianapolis Colts

Dwayne Allen - 15

Vick Ballard - 15

Donald Thomas - 14

Ahmad Bradshaw - 13

Reggie Wayne - 9

Greg Toler - 7

Bjoern Werner - 5

It's a testament to Andrew Luck's brilliance that his team made it to the divisional round of the playoffs without his No. 1 receiver, top tight end, the two players atop the Week 1 running back depth chart and a starting guard.

With those players returning and Hakeem Nicks now on board, this could be one of the NFL's most improved offenses.

Even if the defense remains suspect, the AFC South is soft enough that the Colts should have little trouble coasting to another division title.

~~~~~~~

Can's comments: I don't like using injuries as an excuse, because after all, every team has them. BUT, now and then in sports, key players go down that have a measurable impact on the team's performance. I like the fact that this has been accounted for in this article, and that we have been chosen as one team who got hit especially hard last season.......and still made it to the SB! Like the author alludes, getting these players back combined with the key acquisitions made, makes The Broncos a serious contender once again.

Great thread.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Why didn't they mention Harris?
      was MileHigh

Comment

Originally posted by MileHile View Post
        Why didn't they mention Harris?
        Looks like they only counted for regular season games missed, and only players that are returning.

Adopted Broncos:
        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
        Adopted posters:
        Everyone

Comment

It really is a lot of talent that is headed our way.

:giggety:
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

It is like an entire draft of studs coming to us.

We basically got three drafts this year.

The draft in two weeks. The FA haul of four starters (ware, ward, sanders, talib) The return of Clady, Von, Big Vick, Rahim.

That is 8 starters basically new right there and whoever we pull from the draft.
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

It is amazing to think we made with Super Bowl with how much talent on the roster that was not playing that game.
              Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                It is amazing to think we made with Super Bowl with how much talent on the roster that was not playing that game.
                Amazing as it was both NE and INDY had very bad years also.

BTW we get to play both of them again this year, so will we be able to beat them?

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                  Amazing as it was both NE and INDY had very bad years also.

BTW we get to play both of them again this year, so will we be able to beat them?
                  Indy went 11-5 and NE went 12-4, thats bad?

We'll wait and see if that happens but Den was the walking wounded so nothing too crazy about that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                    It is like an entire draft of studs coming to us.

We basically got three drafts this year.

The draft in two weeks. The FA haul of four starters (ware, ward, sanders, talib) The return of Clady, Von, Big Vick, Rahim.

That is 8 starters basically new right there and whoever we pull from the draft.
                    Plus Harris, and Q/McCray, kinda incredible to get that far despite being decimated on defense and Clady being out basically all year.

Comment

The broncos dominated the chargers and pats with a bunch of role players on defense. Should be a lot of fun this year with the added pieces.

Comment

It would be great to get all of our injured players back. I just don't buy that it's going to happen for all of them. And I don't believe Elway buys it, either.

Von Miller had his ACL reconstruction surgery in January. And yet I've been reading a lot of Posts from people who believe that he will be back for TC. Good luck with that. In fact, good luck getting him back before 2/3rds of the season is over. And I know, I know, there's "Adrian Peterson". Hopefully Miller recovers like that.

Ryan Clady had a "lisfranc" injury. I heard Chad Brown recently interviewed about his "lisfranc" injury. He said he was never the same after that injury. When asked how long it took to recover, he said he's still working on it. And he retired 7 years ago.

Vickerson dislocated his freakin' hip. What's the prognosis for an injury like that? Rahim Moore suffered an injury (Compartment Syndrome?) that can result in the leg having to be amputated if it isn't caught in time. Where in that "timeline" did they catch his injury? Derek Wolfe has an "undiagnosed neurological" problem that resulted in seizures. He is only just now starting to workout. Can anyone say with any certainty whatsoever that he can be counted on? And Wes Welker has suffered multiple concussions.

As a Broncos fan, I hope they are all 100% for OTAs. And if not OTA's, then by TC. But, I think it's important to "Hope for the Best, but Prepare for the Worst."

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post

As a Broncos fan,I hope they are all 100% for OTAs. And if not OTA's, then by TC. But, I think it's important to "Hope for the Best, but Prepare for the Worst."
                          I'm sure the Broncos are taking that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            Plus Harris, and Q/McCray, kinda incredible to get that far despite being decimated on defense and Clady being out basically all year.
                            Don't forget that we were also without Franklin a game or two, DRC missed a game or two, Welker missed time, and WW missed some time with his neck injury.

If you think about it the Broncos were pretty beat up last year and it was amazing they made it to the Super Bowl.
                            sigpic
                            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Sure will be interesting playing Seattle and The Pats this season! (Mind you, it seems like us going to New England is entrenched in the league scheduling!!). Those two games will be marked on the calendar for sure. I just hope we have our key guys for those ones, and I also hope.....

We Thump them both!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X