Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Does Peyton Manning Really Have Left In The Tank?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I think this is a group to be excited about, there should be good competition at LG, C, RT.
    I know Garfield had very strong opinions on us drafting olineman in the first 3 rds and he is just stating his case. Sometimes you gotta just agree to disagree. Im sure we both hope hes wrong and this line comes together and dominates.
    I agree. Thirteen of the fifteen O-Linemen seem to have a legitimate shot at making the team. The competition will be good. :thumb:
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      I don't recall having used the term "undersized". It's a matter of relative size, strength and technique to the opponent on the other side of the LOS.

      Whether a defensive front is odd or split matters a lot, especially in run blocking. Approximately half the NFL uses odd fronts as a base D.

      Let's see how Will Montgomery does in TC and preseason games. Manny can handle some 0 techs with no help. If Montgomery needs help vs. odd fronts, it is an advantage to Manny. :2cents:
      Sorry Sam I was referring to a comment Garfield made about Montgomery being an undersized zone blocking center.
      I agree having Mannys power against big Nose tackles definatly gives him an edge. We got two guys with starter experience! Good problem to have and whoever doesn't start will add great depth at center & guard.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        Ok now you have lost me! First you were saying we should have drafted olineman now we need veterans but Montgomery 9 seasons doesn't count or Ramirez with 8 years both experience @ center and guard. Please explain
        whats wrong with group beliw
        LT - Clady/Justice
        LG - Franklin/Schofield
        C - Montgomery/Ramirez
        RG - Vazquez/Ramirez
        RT - Clark/Schofield/Painter
        This group has a good mixture of veterans, size, speed, and youth.
        IMO

        you need to build your OL via the draft, BUT occasionally have to pick up a guy like Vasquez (he was a bargain near 2 mil for his first year) If they are available.

        then you let them play together to develop trust.

        the longer they do that the better they are.

        Bringing a 9 year vet that lost his job last year to a rookie and is primarily a ZBS blocker and is undersized as compared to MR. Does nothing IMO to help the team. his inability to hold the massive NT.DT that we see would be noticeable.

        Is he a good disaster OC yes since he is cheap and on a one year contact..

        but trying to build an OL with old men is not wise IMO. you build via the draft and picking up a guy like Vasquez that is coming off his rookie contract when he is a deal.

        let me repeat that BUILD VIA the the draft. using top picks when you can.

        all of those players behind those top horses are better just because they control the LOS.

        you win and lose on the LOS. proven year after year in the NFL.

        Last year we won 13 games because we controlled the LOS we lost 3 and then the biggie because we did not control that LOS and let the defense harass Manning.


        now does that make more sense.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Garfield View Post
          IMO

          you need to build your OL via the draft, BUT occasionally have to pick up a guy like Vasquez (he was a bargain near 2 mil for his first year) If they are available.

          then you let them play together to develop trust.

          the longer they do that the better they are.

          Bringing a 9 year vet that lost his job last year to a rookie and is primarily a ZBS blocker and is undersized as compared to MR. Does nothing IMO to help the team. his inability to hold the massive NT.DT that we see would be noticeable.

          Is he a good disaster OC yes since he is cheap and on a one year contact..

          but trying to build an OL with old men is not wise IMO. you build via the draft and picking up a guy like Vasquez that is coming off his rookie contract when he is a deal.

          let me repeat that BUILD VIA the the draft. using top picks when you can.

          all of those players behind those top horses are better just because they control the LOS.

          you win and lose on the LOS. proven year after year in the NFL.

          Last year we won 13 games because we controlled the LOS we lost 3 and then the biggie because we did not control that LOS and let the defense harass Manning.


          now does that make more sense.
          I can't say that I'm as pessimistic or aggressive about the topic as Garfield. On one hand Elway and co. seemed really excited in getting the olineman that they wanted in the draft. So I'm curious to see how that pans out for us in year one if at all.

          But Ramirez could not handle the strength and Orlando couldn't handle the speed of the Seahawks defensive front. There are equal or better fronts in that division, and I have my doubts that our offensive line improved enough to compete with that all year.

          I'm mostly worried with Ramirez and any other center we have. Yet I'm pretty pumped to see if Franklin is a better guard, can't be much worse then Beadles.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by OrangeFaithful View Post
            I can't say that I'm as pessimistic or aggressive about the topic as Garfield. On one hand Elway and co. seemed really excited in getting the olineman that they wanted in the draft. So I'm curious to see how that pans out for us in year one if at all.

            But Ramirez could not handle the strength and Orlando couldn't handle the speed of the Seahawks defensive front. There are equal or better fronts in that division, and I have my doubts that our offensive line improved enough to compete with that all year.

            I'm mostly worried with Ramirez and any other center we have. Yet I'm pretty pumped to see if Franklin is a better guard, can't be much worse then Beadles.
            Two things the middle of the OL was being pushed back into Mannings "workspace" from what I saw most of that was Beadles. One of the big reasons that he is gone and was not even offered a contract.

            While Manny may have been somewhat at fault having a LEGIT OG next to him with Vasquez on the other side will "MAKE DO" until we can get a younger guy up to speed to replace him.

            Most folks forget that MR was not all that hot as ORG the year before and was pressed into duty as OC and was for all intents and purposes a Rookie OC last year.

            Montgomery is not a long term option as he is just as old as MR is. plus they did not think that highly of him to give him more than a look see contract and frankly he gives up about 20 pounds in weight to MR.


            I have never seen him as anything more than an insurance policy In case MR goes down. He comes from a ZBS environment and only started the last 3.4 years after bouncing around with 3 other teams.

            when it was announced they signed him everyone was rejoicing. with many thinking he would beat out MR for the spot.

            and then John drafted LATE an OC, so frankly IMO they will not be starters next year unless John Fubared that pick.

            As for getting beat on the edges, Clady should help on one side and I see franklin back at RT and Green playing a lot of 2 TE duty next to him, in those games where the DL is pretty quick.

            If we find a legit OG in one of the other guys then he will be free to play his last year at ORT .

            Comment


            • #66
              The Broncos have brought in competition at the center position this offseason. Last year’s starter Manny Ramirez began 2013 as a starter by default. The team used Ramirez there during the offseason because Dan Koppen had not yet been re-signed and J.D. Walton was still recovering from an ankle injury.

              The Broncos tried to add more talent during the 2013 offseason. Koppen came back for about a week before he was lost for the season with a knee injury. Former Indianapolis Colts center Ryan Lilja was signed, but he failed to make the final roster. They even added Steve Vallos to see if he could possibly be the starting center.

              In the end, those guys failed to make the impact and Ramirez won the job. Now Ramirez is going to have to prove himself all over again.

              Earlier this year in free agency, the Broncos added veteran center Will Montgomery from Washington. Originally a draft pick by the John Fox-led Carolina Panthers, Montgomery has plenty of experience as both a center and guard.

              He’s got the athleticism to work perfectly in the zone-blocking scheme employed by the Broncos. Montgomery can get to the second level cleanly, and he is capable of blocking a moving target—becoming a “sticky” blocker as scouts like to call it.

              Montgomery is a more natural fit at center than Ramirez is.

              Manny Ramirez is very strong at the point of attack. He can plant his feet and use his powerful upper body to keep defenders at bay.

              However, he struggles when asked to block a moving target in open space. Ramirez shows weakness as a starter when asked to block a more active/athletic defensive tackle. Watch any time he’s had to block a player like J.J. Watt (Houston Texans) and you’ll see a deficiency in his game.

              With Peyton Manning under center, the Broncos need to have the most athletic offensive line they possibly can. They’ll once again employ an uptempo system under offensive coordinator Adam Gase, and the linemen need to have the athleticism to work quickly and in space.

              Ramirez is going to begin training camp as the starter at center, but there’s a strong chance he won’t finish camp with a grasp on that job.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                The Broncos have brought in competition at the center position this offseason. Last year’s starter Manny Ramirez began 2013 as a starter by default. The team used Ramirez there during the offseason because Dan Koppen had not yet been re-signed and J.D. Walton was still recovering from an ankle injury.

                The Broncos tried to add more talent during the 2013 offseason. Koppen came back for about a week before he was lost for the season with a knee injury. Former Indianapolis Colts center Ryan Lilja was signed, but he failed to make the final roster. They even added Steve Vallos to see if he could possibly be the starting center.

                In the end, those guys failed to make the impact and Ramirez won the job. Now Ramirez is going to have to prove himself all over again.

                Earlier this year in free agency, the Broncos added veteran center Will Montgomery from Washington. Originally a draft pick by the John Fox-led Carolina Panthers, Montgomery has plenty of experience as both a center and guard.

                He’s got the athleticism to work perfectly in the zone-blocking scheme employed by the Broncos. Montgomery can get to the second level cleanly, and he is capable of blocking a moving target—becoming a “sticky” blocker as scouts like to call it.

                Montgomery is a more natural fit at center than Ramirez is.

                Manny Ramirez is very strong at the point of attack. He can plant his feet and use his powerful upper body to keep defenders at bay.

                However, he struggles when asked to block a moving target in open space. Ramirez shows weakness as a starter when asked to block a more active/athletic defensive tackle. Watch any time he’s had to block a player like J.J. Watt (Houston Texans) and you’ll see a deficiency in his game.

                With Peyton Manning under center, the Broncos need to have the most athletic offensive line they possibly can. They’ll once again employ an uptempo system under offensive coordinator Adam Gase, and the linemen need to have the athleticism to work quickly and in space.

                Ramirez is going to begin training camp as the starter at center, but there’s a strong chance he won’t finish camp with a grasp on that job.
                Are you the author, or is this a quote?. If it's a quote, may we see the link and know the author?
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Are you the author, or is this a quote?. If it's a quote, may we see the link and know the author?
                  This is a qoute from Cecil Lammey at Bleacher Report. Its the on page two.



                  Early Predictions for Denver Broncos' Training Camp Battles | Bleacher Report

                  via_ble.ac/teamstream
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                    This is a qoute from Cecil Lammey at Bleacher Report. Its the on page two.



                    Early Predictions for Denver Broncos' Training Camp Battles | Bleacher Report

                    via_ble.ac/teamstream
                    OK, then. Cecil predicts.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      OK, then. Cecil predicts.
                      I agree that Manny will not be the starting OC,

                      but I do not see montgomery being that guy.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                        I agree that Manny will not be the starting OC,

                        but I do not see montgomery being that guy.
                        OK. So, you are saying the starting Center will be Matt Paradis.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          OK. So, you are saying the starting Center will be Matt Paradis.
                          as good a guess as anyone has had so far.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Mike Klis @MikeKlis


                            Peyton Manning says his goal is to play out contract with Broncos. Which is through 2016. Which is when he's 40: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...nder-at-age-38

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X