Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Wes Welker's final season with Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - Broncos WR Wes Welker remains motivated to win his first Super Bowl -

"Wes Welker knew numbers long before he started passing out hundreds in winnings at the Kentucky Derby. One-hundred four Division I-A college teams rejected his pleas for a college scholarship in 1999. Texas Tech reluctantly took him after a player bolted, and only then after a private workout.

Welker posted monster statistics for the Red Raiders, yet no NFL club deemed him worthy of a draft pick in 2004. He was too small, too slow, NFL teams thought.

Five Pro Bowls and 841 receptions later, Welker confronts his latest challenge, staring at a cold reality in Denver. This might not be his last chance at winning a Super Bowl — he's 0-for-3 in the big game — but this sets up as potentially his final season in Denver. ...

Welker provides levity in meetings, displaying a dry wit. This is a smart guy. He knows of his uncertain future but chooses to focus on numbers, specifically Roman numerals.

"I think it's kind of the one thing that's out there for me. It's what pushes me. It's what motivates me," Welker said of a Super Bowl victory. "We have a great opportunity, and we want to make the most of it.""

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    I have no clue.

I just like to study and watch football and ask myself exactly what I see.
    At least you admit it.

Many fans get so excited about stud players or a player they are invested in becasue they had been saw him in college or in a game their guy can do no wrong and of course how date anyone talk about not wanting him for ever. Damn the costs.

Those that have budgeting experience KNOW that today is not what you budget for but Atleast one year and often 3-5 years out.

I would believe that John and his capologist are planning for next year when ever they put a deal together.

It makes no sense to get a player now only to have to cut several others come next year in order to get under the cap.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I have no clue.

I just like to study and watch football and ask myself exactly what I see.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Elway & Co. seem good at budgeting the salary cap. They want the best bunch of players they can sign. We'll see what happens. :2cents:
    I do not know of anyone thT does not want the same thing.

Some of us have a clue about budgeting and some do not.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Elway & Co. seem good at budgeting the salary cap. They want the best bunch of players they can sign. We'll see what happens. :2cents:

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
    Cody will not be DT's replacement he is our number 2 receiver next year. Thomas is here to stay and Sanders will be in the slot. Welker most likely retires or possibly signs a Stokley type of contract to be our #4.
    Time will tell. IMO you are wrong we can't afford DT.

Leave a comment:

• 58 broncomaniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    the only reason he MAY be back next year is IF someone does not step up and produce from the slot, in the limited opportunities they will get when he is not on the field.

John will not allow Manning not to have a viable slot guy that gets open unless he is mugged at the LOS. Just as he will not allow JT to walk if there is not a viable replacement for him.

HE drafted Cody for DTs replacement and brought in Sanders to replace Welker. FWIW Manning has developed a repiore with Sanders already it is just a matter now of learning Mannings winks and Nods at the LOS to know which route to break off into.
    Cody will not be DT's replacement he is our number 2 receiver next year. Thomas is here to stay and Sanders will be in the slot. Welker most likely retires or possibly signs a Stokley type of contract to be our #4.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
    He could be back next year but he would need a VERY friendly contract and I don't know if that happens
    the only reason he MAY be back next year is IF someone does not step up and produce from the slot, in the limited opportunities they will get when he is not on the field.

John will not allow Manning not to have a viable slot guy that gets open unless he is mugged at the LOS. Just as he will not allow JT to walk if there is not a viable replacement for him.

HE drafted Cody for DTs replacement and brought in Sanders to replace Welker. FWIW Manning has developed a repiore with Sanders already it is just a matter now of learning Mannings winks and Nods at the LOS to know which route to break off into.

Leave a comment:

• roushmartin6
    replied
    He could be back next year but he would need a VERY friendly contract and I don't know if that happens

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - Welker excited, not worried about new receivers -

"When you draft a player in the second round, you're expecting them to play sooner rather than later.

When you sign a free agent, it's to play them immediately. The Denver Broncos did both at wide receiver, so is current wide receiver Wes Welker concerned or excited about the moves?

"I don't really think about it like that anymore," Welker said. "I want us to be the best team we can be, whatever that means; that's what it is. Trust me, I understand." ...

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
    Yea him not winning it last year really amazes me.
    There always feels like there's some kind of bias against Denver in stuff like this and HOF voting our guys in.

Leave a comment:

• 58 broncomaniac
    replied
    Why John has not been named exec of the year is beyond me.

He has drafted well for the future, has brought in UFA to plug some hole on a look see basis.

Vasquez deal was to 2 mil with little downside to cut him. He played pro bowl level and earned the 6+ he is making this coming year.

He has signed Ward to a reasonable contract same with Talib.

They are building for the future with talented vets and allowing the rookies to not have to play day one.

We all know that loads of rookies are thrown to the wolves and many never play to their potential. Or wind up in another city because their fans turn on them.

Moreno is fine example of that. A good player just not good enough for the position he was picked at. No doubt he will have a fine career somewhere else.
    Yea him not winning it last year really amazes me.

Leave a comment:

• 58 broncomaniac
    replied
    He was most definite in saying he was not ready to retire. He was enjoying the mental game, as well as team mates.

Now that is not to say he will feel that way after the season.

But I'm pretty sure he will play until he can no longer best the defenses with his mind first and arm second.
    The biggest factor in how long he plays is injuries. We all know that the older we get the more an injury hurts and longer it takes to heal. If healthy I could see him playing for the next 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
    Peyton will not say when he is going to retire, as he does not know and does not want to stir up the media. Even if he was thinking of retiring after this season, he will not bring it up until it becomes definite.
    He was most definite in saying he was not ready to retire. He was enjoying the mental game, as well as team mates.

Now that is not to say he will feel that way after the season.

But I'm pretty sure he will play until he can no longer best the defenses with his mind first and arm second.

Leave a comment:

• broncolassiter
    replied
    just saw a rerun of manning on Dave's late night show.

His comment was he was having to much fun to retire and now it is more mental than physical.
    That he would at till he can't anymore or it was no longer fun.

So he may go when Welker does but I'll bet he plays several more years.
    Peyton will not say when he is going to retire, as he does not know and does not want to stir up the media. Even if he was thinking of retiring after this season, he will not bring it up until it becomes definite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X