• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat overtake Lakers in ESPN poll -- Broncos 5th Popular Pro Sports Team

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...rts-poll-shows

Heat overtake Lakers in ESPN poll
    Updated: June 6, 2014, 12:25 AM ET
    ESPN.com

In the last year the two-time defending champion Miami Heat have overtaken the Los Angeles Lakers as America's favorite NBA team, according to an ESPN Sports Poll.

The poll was administered over a 12-month period that ended in March. It tracks fan base sizes and fan base demographics for all major sports through a monthly telephone survey of 1,500 Americans ages 12 and older.

Overall, the poll shows that the Heat rank sixth overall among America's favorite teams -- three spots ahead of the Lakers. While Miami is pursuing a three-peat as NBA champion this month in the NBA Finals, the Lakers were 27-55 this season, the worst 82-game record in the history of the franchise.

The Dallas Cowboys are the polled fans' favorite sports team, and three other NFL teams are in the top five -- the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 2, the Green Bay Packers at No. 3 and the Denver Broncos at No. 5. The New York Yankees are fourth in the poll.

The ESPN Sports Poll's 12-month findings also showed that the NFL is America's favorite sports league and accounted for 40 percent of the top 10 favorite athletes of fans polled. Overall, seven of America's 10 favorite sports teams are NFL teams.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Could be a recent thing since we became real good recently, but then again, we've always had a loyal fanbase.

I'm kinda surprised Seattle isn't in the top 5.
    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
      Could be a recent thing since we became real good recently, but then again, we've always had a loyal fanbase.

I'm not, up until the past 2 seasons most of America didn't even know about them. Heck, I would be pressed to go back and review old attendances that are older than 2 years for them. They feature attendance with the box scores of games.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
      Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
      Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
      Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
      I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post

I agree with Broncoholic JS.

Seattle was really nothing all that special for the longest time. Really I'd be quite surprised if they were any more popular than Dallas, Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, or San Fran.

Comment

Even last year Seattle was only 18th in attendance. Centurylink is a small stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by msusc View Post
            Even last year Seattle was only 18th in attendance. Centurylink is a small stadium.
            It is not just the size of the stadium.

They represent a huge geographical area. Northern California to the border and probably beyond. East as far as Utah.

There is not other big sports team nearby therefore lots of folks need something to root for.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
              It is not just the size of the stadium.

They represent a huge geographical area. Northern California to the border and probably beyond. East as far as Utah.

There is not other big sports team nearby therefore lots of folks need something to root for.
              Pro Football? Sure. But there are plenty of other sports teams in the area. They have the Mariners, and used to have the Sonics but now it's just the Portland Trailblazers and a number of successful PAC-12 college teams.
              2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

I'm suprised the Dallas Cowboys are still up there at #1

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                  I'm suprised the Dallas Cowboys are still up there at #1
                  I'm not. I've lived all over. Colorado, Michigan, New Mexico, now Washington. (Picked the wrong time to move up to the last one..)

But no matter what there is an eerie abundance of Cowboy fans wherever you go. Tons of em

Comment

Working...
                  X