Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Broncos Could Be The Best NFL Team Ever

- 2014 Broncos Could Be The Best NFL Team Ever -

" It all started in March of 2012 when John Elway convinced Peyton Manning to be a Denver Bronco.

On March 19, 2012, the city of Denver got excited because the fans knew something good was about to happen and the Lombardi Trophy could be in reach. Elway, now the GM of the Broncos, has brought in the top name free agents to make the Broncos Super Bowl contenders year after year. But has Elway put together the greatest team in NFL history?

Obviously nobody will be talking about the 2014 Broncos unless they win the Super Bowl. If Denver does win the Super Bowl, we can make the argument that this is the greatest NFL team ever to be put on the field. The discussion wouldn’t begin for another 20 years, but let’s start early!

Let’s start with Manning. He is hands down one of the greatest QBs of all time. Manning has put up record-setting numbers, breaking the NFL’s single-season touchdown record twice and was the key piece to the greatest offense in league history in 2013." ...

http://www.football.com/en-us/2014-b...nfl-team-ever/

Nice artical.
    sigpic

Comment

I admit this thought crossed my mind. The chances of the Broncos improving from last season are good. Best Ever are huge boots to grow out of though. At any rate, it should be another VERY fun season for Broncos fans. I for one can't barely wait.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

God, I hope so. I want to see Peyton go out whenever that is) in a blaze of glory. We're so close I can taste it.

I hope the SB debacle put a huge chip on their shoulders and I hope we've become more physical and more ground and pound too. Get it done guys!
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

19-0 is the only way to achieve "Best Team Ever" status. Do I think we can do it? Without a shadow of a doubt. I see us rolling through weeks 1-2 and then unloading in week 3, similar to how we unloaded on the Ravens last year. Nobody does "I'll see you again" games like Manning. Even if the stakes aren't as high, he loves to flex when someone thinks they have his "number". But this time I see the number 1 offense and top 3 defense all wearing Orange & Blue, crushing all who stand in the way.
          #swapping

Comment

I am not sure how I would define the 'best team ever'. It would probably be a measure against the '85 Bears or the '72 Dolphins or even the '98 Broncos. To me, Manning seems to have some off games and since he is the centerpiece of the offense as he goes, so goes the offense, and I am not sure they have anyone else who can carry the offense. The previous 'great teams' could all win with the run...Walter Payton, Neal Anderson, Mercury Morris, Larry Czonka, and Terrell Davis. I am not ready to put Montee Ball and CJ Anderson in that category and until they can be, suggesting they are contenders as the greatest of all time seems silly.
            sigpic

Comment

If you consider they had an all time scoring offense last season, it's not that silly. Big records were broken. The article suggest single year teams even though my initial feelings were toward dynasty teams. If you also take this into account, it's not so outlandish. It's really more a matter of the defense than the offense in my opinion. Last year's defense was so plagued by injuries they weren't the best defense in their own division even.

The defense would have to improve drastically for this to happen. Is that possible? I dunno. But the personnel dept sure tried like hell to improve it this offseason. Intention and efforts are there. It's up to the players - and to stay healthy.

You're kinda right though too Racid I mean the chances of having a best team of all time are pretty low even with a great roster. A lot has to go right. Luckily for us, a lot of the foundation has been achieved. The already record setting offense has improved from last season (on paper) and the defense has as well. In order for a team to achieve such a title, not only do they have to be great, but they'll need great luck too.

I expect a great team this season. I don't expect GOAT, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

The difference as I see it is that with all the previous great teams the QB was not necessarily the centerpiece of the offense. For example, when Bob Girese went down, Earl Morrall came in and the Dolphins still rolled. Because they could beat you with Mercury Morris or Paul Wafrield. Mcmahon was not the centerpiece of the Bears and teams had to protect against Willie Gault or Neal Anderson/Payton. Elway had Davis who could beat teams with the run or Rod Smith/Shannon Sharpe/McCaffrey. In other words, each of these teams had a dominant running back that could beat teams with the run and receivers that could break away-- dual threats.

Current day Broncos are a pass-based offense which solely relies on the ability of one guy-- Manning. None of the previous great teams had that restriction. The Broncos are totally dependent on Manning and if he has a bad day, so likely will the team. Since I am not ready to declare Montee Ball or CJ Anderson as the same threats as Morris, Payton, Anderson, Csonka, and Terrell Davis, then I find that declaring the one-dimensional offense as a candidate as best of all time to be silly. Not impossible, but where I see it now, unlikely. Add a break-away RB to the backfield and I change my tune. Until then, they are an incredibly talented team, but because of their one-dimensional offense they will struggle in games-- i.e. The Superbowl.
                Last edited by Rancid; 06-28-2014, 10:51 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

We have the talent to go 19-0

The NFL is hard and our road is hard...allot of work to do and need some luck along the way to be perfect man
                  Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

The NFL is hard and our road is hard...allot of work to do and need some luck along the way to be perfect man
                    Maybe...so difficult...everything has to go your way. Just losing a couple of games will practically guarantee you the number one seed. I'd love to see it, but really don't think it is possible in today's NFL.
                    sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

19-0 would be really difficult this season. We have the second most difficult schedule this year. If we get the #1 seed this year, I will be amazed actually. NE has a very easy schedule as usual and once again we play in NE. Grrrr
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

To me, "greatest team ever" must be dominant on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Most of Denver's proven talent is on the offensive side - Manning, Thomas, Welker, Clady, Vasquez. The defensive side has "potential" talent, but also significant downside. Talib is injury-prone and comes with his own set of off-the-field issues (as do Miller and Roby). It's hard to say how close Ware will play like his old self after his recent injuries. And, Harris, who may be the second-best CB on the team, is simply too small to compete with the Calvin Johnsons, Demaryius Thomases, and Brandon Marshalls of the league.

If all the stars are aligned - no injuries, players all play to their full potential - then sure, this could be the best NFL team ever. But that requires some amazing luck - something Denver hasn't exactly had the best of in recent years.

To be clear - I want this team to be the best ever for so many reasons. I'd like Elway to win a ring as an executive so we can put to bed all those questions of "can he be a good GM?" I'd like Peyton to win another because it would further support the claims that he is one of the best QBs to ever play the game, despite not having won four or five championships.

Comment

No, it's a pretty good roster though.

19-0 aint happening, they'll drop a game/games at some point, all teams do.

Comment

Working...
                          X