Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Emmanuel Sanders is an Upgrade Over Eric Decker

- Why Emmanuel Sanders is an Upgrade Over Eric Decker -

"No one can question the popularity of Eric Decker but Emmanuel Sanders is a better receiver for the offense of the Denver Broncos. It would be foolish to say that Sanders has had a better career than Decker to this point, but the ceiling for Sanders is much higher.

Decker, as productive as he was for the Broncos, is what he is and there’s not much room for improvement. In fact it’s likely that his numbers will drop off being away from Peyton Manning and the Broncos explosive offense.

Sanders, on the other hand, has only scratched the surface of his potential. He spent his first five seasons in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, a run first oriented team. Sanders had his best individual season in 2013 with 67 catches for 740 yards and six touchdowns. If all goes to plan, Sanders will eclipse those numbers in week 12.

Those are just numbers though and anyone can look those up, what does Sanders bring to the Broncos that Decker did not?" ...

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/07/05...ding%20on%20FS

I can think of a few reasons of the top of my head and I haven't really seen Sanders with Manning yet. Mostly these opinions are based on Decker's shortcomings.

Let me start by saying Decker has had some HUGE catches for us and he's had some HUGE games for us. But I swear it seems every single game Deck does something that makes you go 'what the?'

For instance in last year's AFC Championship game Decker was returning punts in the first half. The first punt was a mishandled snap or something didn't go smoothly for NE and the punt was rushed - consequently the kick was short. The punt was EASILY catchable yet still Deck decided to just let it go and it took a looooooooong NE roll to the Denver 15 or so. I was like what the.

We all know about his turf tripping excursions. And as strong as Decker is, he has trouble getting off the line sometimes when jammed. Sanders will excel in this regard. He will also excel taking the top off. Even punt returns will be <Sanders.

Decker probably has the advantage blocking downfield and at the line for that matter but besides that - I have to agree with the OP's source's quotes.

Decker had me cheering lots of times and I hope all the best for him. But he also had me cussing and scaring my dogs and neighbors at times too.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I think Sanders will cause defenses to spread out and play over the top help. With over the top help on DT on the other side, that would be 4-defenders playing back opening up the middle or flats for JT, Welker and Ball. That would also make for a lot of 4-man rushes which should give Manning more time.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        I can think of a few reasons of the top of my head and I haven't really seen Sanders with Manning yet. Mostly these opinions are based on Decker's shortcomings.

Let me start by saying Decker has had some HUGE catches for us and he's had some HUGE games for us. But I swear it seems every single game Deck does something that makes you go 'what the?'

For instance in last year's AFC Championship game Decker was returning punts in the first half. The first punt was a mishandled snap or something didn't go smoothly for NE and the punt was rushed - consequently the kick was short. The punt was EASILY catchable yet still Deck decided to just let it go and it took a looooooooong NE roll to the Denver 15 or so. I was like what the.

We all know about his turf tripping excursions. And as strong as Decker is, he has trouble getting off the line sometimes when jammed. Sanders will excel in this regard. He will also excel taking the top off. Even punt returns will be <Sanders.

Decker probably has the advantage blocking downfield and at the line for that matter but besides that - I have to agree with the OP's source's quotes.

Decker had me cheering lots of times and I hope all the best for him. But he also had me cussing and scaring my dogs and neighbors at times too.
        To rag on Jim about the punt returns is petty IMO. While he was back there he was the disaster PR guy they had no one else and it is not like he practiced it 99% of the time. So that is hardly a valid reason to be down on him I doubt there is another team in the NFL that had a 6-3 220 pound PR or KR guy that was consistently used except in rare occsassions.

The tripping on yard lines yep that was a an issue. But then the number of catches vs tripping well I'll take that all the time.

People whined about him disappearing in game some time. That only meant he was getting the double coverage and others were singled.

DT JT and WW all disappeared from time to time for the same exact reasons.

Will he be as prolific in NY probably not.

But then had he been left in Denver there is little doubt I my mind he would have duplicated his past years numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
          To rag on Jim about the punt returns is petty IMO. While he was back there he was the disaster PR guy they had no one else and it is not like he practiced it 99% of the time. So that is hardly a valid reason to be down on him I doubt there is another team in the NFL that had a 6-3 220 pound PR or KR guy that was consistently used except in rare occsassions.

The tripping on yard lines yep that was a an issue. But then the number of catches vs tripping well I'll take that all the time.

People whined about him disappearing in game some time. That only meant he was getting the double coverage and others were singled.

But then had he been left in Denver there is little doubt I my mind he would have duplicated his past years numbers.
          Only if he was with Manning.

Decker spent too much time worrying about flags and his celebrity the last two years. I won't miss him. 1 catch for 6 yards in the superbowl is a joke.
          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
          sigpic

Comment

I really did like Decker. I'm not ragging on him. The head scratching things he's done are on him though. This thread is about how Sanders shouldn't be any loss in production and maybe a gain in production and why. I'm merely stating how and why I think this could be.

PS - 'Jim'?
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
              I think Sanders will cause defenses to spread out and play over the top help. With over the top help on DT on the other side, that would be 4-defenders playing back opening up the middle or flats for JT, Welker and Ball. That would also make for a lot of 4-man rushes which should give Manning more time.
              IMO sanders was brought in to replace Welker when he leaves next year. There are many reports of him and manning working on those underneath and slot routes even before OTAs.

Now Burse is the wild card. If he has that slot ability then he will play mostly slot with sanders being a bit deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                I really did like Decker. I'm not ragging on him. The head scratching things he's done are on him though. This thread is about how Sanders shouldn't be any loss in production and maybe a gain in production and why. I'm merely stating how and why I think this could be.

PS - 'Jim'?
                Sorry it looked like you were.

I doubt that sanders numbers will be much higher than Deckers. Maybe about the same or even a bit less provided that no injuries happen to the other receivers.

If anything Greenes numbers should jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                  Only if he was with Manning.

Decker spent too much time worrying about flags and his celebrity the last two years. I won't miss him. 1 catch for 6 yards in the superbowl is a joke.
                  They took him out of the SB. Not sure why he allowed it but I think it is fair to say that the refs had the flags glued to the bottom of their pockets when our guys nares getting mugged.

He is big enough to have run over those DBs, guessing he was expecting the refs to do their job.

As for being a celeb your sounding jealous he has a hot wife and tv series.

I doubt that the series being LONG over was not on his mind at all during the SB.

Comment

They took him out of the SB. Not sure why he allowed it but I think it is fair to say that the refs had the flags glued to the bottom of their pockets when our guys nares getting mugged.

He is big enough to have run over those DBs, guessing he was expecting the refs to do their job.

As for being a celeb your sounding jealous he has a hot wife and tv series.

I doubt that the series being LONG over was not on his mind at all during the SB.
                    Decker got punked in the Super Bowl and the refs were letting them play playoff football.
                    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

IMO sanders was brought in to replace Welker when he leaves next year. There are many reports of him and manning working on those underneath and slot routes even before OTAs.

Now Burse is the wild card. If he has that slot ability then he will play mostly slot with sanders being a bit deeper.
                      That is next year. The post is about the advantages Sanders provides over Decker. Sanders' speed has the advantage over Decker to take the defensive coverage well off the line of scrimmage to open the middle for guys like Welker. Welker may not be around in 2015 as you point out, but in 2014 he should have more open space to work in thanks to Sanders.

Lining up DT, Latimer and Sanders in the slot makes sense in 2015, but not so much for 2014 with Welker, the $6-Million Dollar Man, on the sidelines.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                        Decker got punked in the Super Bowl and the refs were letting them play playoff football.
                        So did DT and JT for much of the game. Finally DT realized he had a few inches and 30 pounds on most of them cans decided he could play against them.

WW was not great either. Our OL stunk up the game and could not provide a clean pocket for Manning.

All year our guys mostly got the calls for being mugged. Rules IIRC are the same all games of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          That is next year. The post is about the advantages Sanders provides over Decker. Sanders' speed has the advantage over Decker to take the defensive coverage well off the line of scrimmage to open the middle for guys like Welker. Welker may not be around in 2015 as you point out, but in 2014 he should have more open space to work in thanks to Sanders.

Lining up DT, Latimer and Sanders in the slot makes sense in 2015, but not so much for 2014 with Welker, the $6-Million Dollar Man, on the sidelines.
                          Never said WW would be on the sidelines.

I said that IMO sanders was brought in primarily as WW replacement. That he has made a connection prior to OTAs in running those routes from the slot.

IMO he will see a lot of different positions thereby keeping the DC off guard.

Frankly i do NOT see him running a lot of deep routes anyore than DT and JT run.

While he is a bit faster than decker he does not have his size and on most deep throws size matters.

Again I do not see him having a better year than decker did last year.

He certainly will do better than he did in PIT.

But expecting better than decker numbers IMO is silly as there is only one football. Manning throws to the open man and is. It known to have the huge Arm anymore. (If he ever did ).

BTW DT will be gone next year so it will be Latimore in his spot( unless he craps in his pants) sanders in WW spot and JT at TE/WR with Greene at true TE. And a new kid at sanders #2 spot.

Unless Burse lights it up this and next year.

Plenty of targets for Manning.
                          Last edited by Garfield; 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Never said WW would be on the sidelines.

I said that IMO sanders was brought in primarily as WW replacement. That he has made a connection prior to OTAs in running those routes from the slot.

IMO he will see a lot of different positions thereby keeping the DC off guard.

Frankly i do NOT see him running a lot of deep routes anyore than DT and JT run.

While he is a bit faster than decker he does not have his size and on most deep throws size matters.

Again I do not see him having a better year than decker did last year.

He certainly will do better than he did in PIT.

But expecting better than decker numbers IMO is silly as there is only one football. Manning throws to the open man and is. It known to have the huge Arm anymore. (If he ever did ).

BTW DT will be gone next year so it will be Latimore in his spot( unless he craps in his pants) sanders in WW spot and JT at TE/WR with Greene at true TE. And a new kid at sanders #2 spot.

Unless Burse lights it up this and next year.

Plenty of targets for Manning.
                            Respectfully, I disagree with just about everything you wrote. I guess we will agree to disagree, but glad we are rooting for the same team.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think this is a Willis McGahee/Knowshon Moreno situation at wide receiver. Sanders is going to plug right in with Cody Latimer and be just fine in the offense. I don't see any drop off at the WR position at all. Sanders and Decker are different, but Sanders is going to be another dimension within this offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X