Why Emmanuel Sanders is an Upgrade Over Eric Decker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
    I could see Latimer getting a good amount of red zone looks if he can gain the trust of the coaches and Peyton.
    I
    His height, leaping ability, ball skills, and hands could be advantageous with the condensed field. His blocking could also be a big help for both the running game and screens near the goal line.
    I believe you are correct. IF and it is a big IF he gains the confidence of the coaches and Manning/OZ the. He will have time on the field. Especially when they need BIG on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
      I could see Latimer getting a good amount of red zone looks if he can gain the trust of the coaches and Peyton.

His height, leaping ability, ball skills, and hands could be advantageous with the condensed field. His blocking could also be a big help for both the running game and screens near the goal line.
      In the red-zone, most definately but i dont think he'll get a ton of offensive snaps.

I'm not expecting a ton from him as a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
        In the red-zone, most definately but i dont think he'll get a ton of offensive snaps.

I'm not expecting a ton from him as a rookie.
        I would expect to see him get about the same amount of snaps as montee got in his first year, even more if he exceeds expectations.
        A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

something interesting I saw today.

Decker played the role of big deep threat, which now may better suit second-round rookie Cody Latimer at 6-foot-3. Verticality really hasn't been Sanders' game, though he is fast. He's not going to be a perfect replacement for what the Broncos did with Decker, but he'll still fit the offense. Denver's known for screen passes because of the success, but Sanders actually had a higher rate of screens last year. He also had seven catches for no gain or negative yards last year -- that's four more than the combined total for Denver's trio. Better blocking and play calling should help Sanders in that department.

Decker's the first receiver I've studied who did not catch at least 60 percent of his passes at the chest-level, but we're talking about a one-play difference. It's also moot when he hauled in 10 over-the-shoulder catches (four in one game against the Chiefs alone). Much was made of Manning getting to play with big receivers like Decker and Thomas for the first time in his career. The size advantage has certainly helped offset the loss in arm strength, but Manning's anticipation has probably never been better. The ball usually finds its mark, no matter how ugly it may look.
          http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...dvoa-vs-dalton

something to look at..

As in his opinion it showed that Lattimore is is more of a replacement for Decker than Sanders is talked about to be.

Comment

Like seeing a former significant other thrive at life with his or her new squeeze, Eric Decker finds it difficult to view Peyton Manning and the Broncos' offense hum along with Emmanuel Sanders playing his former role.

"Honestly, sometimes it's hard to watch them when they're playing," Decker told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News this week. "When they're clicking on all cylinders, they're a tough football team. They got the right pieces."

Decker spent four seasons with the Broncos and in the two years with Manning had 172 catches for 2,352 yards and 24 touchdowns.

While Decker signed with the New York Jets in the offseason, the Broncos swapped in Sanders and haven't missed a beat.

"Emmanuel Sanders is playing well in my spot, so to speak," Decker said. "Sometimes, you know, it's tough to see all the success. But that's football. It's going to go in swings. Who says we can't be a great football team? We got to obviously do some right things to get there, but I'm happy for Peyton and Demaryius (Thomas). I respect them so much. They're all good friends, so I like to see them do well, but sometimes it's hard."

Decker has $36 million reasons to be happy in New York (15 million of those reasons guaranteed) and he says he doesn't regret leaving Manning and the Broncos.

But trading Peyton for Geno Smith and Michael Vick could make anyone yearn wistfully for the past.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
              something interesting I saw today.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...dvoa-vs-dalton

something to look at..

As in his opinion it showed that Lattimore is is more of a replacement for Decker than Sanders is talked about to be.
              I agree, Sanders is Welkers replacement and then Latimer is gonna slide into where Sanders is this year.

I can't wait to see Latimer actually get some playing time, I'm scratching my head waiting for it

Comment

Sanders is a better receiver hands down!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                  Never said WW would be on the sidelines.

I said that IMO sanders was brought in primarily as WW replacement. That he has made a connection prior to OTAs in running those routes from the slot.

IMO he will see a lot of different positions thereby keeping the DC off guard.

Frankly i do NOT see him running a lot of deep routes anyore than DT and JT run.

While he is a bit faster than decker he does not have his size and on most deep throws size matters.

Again I do not see him having a better year than decker did last year.

He certainly will do better than he did in PIT.

But expecting better than decker numbers IMO is silly as there is only one football. Manning throws to the open man and is. It known to have the huge Arm anymore. (If he ever did ).

BTW DT will be gone next year so it will be Latimore in his spot( unless he craps in his pants) sanders in WW spot and JT at TE/WR with Greene at true TE. And a new kid at sanders #2 spot.

Unless Burse lights it up this and next year.

Plenty of targets for Manning.
                  You sure called that one. He's on pace to outperform DT's last 2 years.

High five to myself from the past! Called my shot with sanders!
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Um, you just need to watch him to see Sanders is a HUGE upgrade over Decker. Sanders is just a baller. His ability to make circus carches is just amazing and he doesn't drop anything. I love the dude.
                    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I had a feeling of resent towards Decker while he was a Bronco. I guess because Ed McCaffrey was my favorite receiver and everyone would make the comparisons between McCaffrey and Decker, but other than wearing number 87, these guys were nothing alike. Eddie Mac caught EVERYTHING. Even when breaking his leg. I'd get annoyed of Decker's theatrics, mental lapses, and dropped passes. Dude was always on the floor, whether it be because he's always tripping on his own or because he was always looking for a P.I. call. I'm glad Sanders is with us now. Definite upgrade over Decker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                        I had a feeling of resent towards Decker while he was a Bronco. I guess because Ed McCaffrey was my favorite receiver and everyone would make the comparisons between McCaffrey and Decker, but other than wearing number 87, these guys were nothing alike. Eddie Mac caught EVERYTHING. Even when breaking his leg. I'd get annoyed of Decker's theatrics, mental lapses, and dropped passes. Dude was always on the floor, whether it be because he's always tripping on his own or because he was always looking for a P.I. call. I'm glad Sanders is with us now. Definite upgrade over Decker.
                        Decker played like he was 5-10 175 and Steve Smith plays like he's 6-3 220
                        sigpic

Comment

Decker was/is a solid WR and he played like it. Sure he got a name for looking for flags (maybe deserved at times but that's not what defines his career to this point), I see plenty of WR's looking for PI calls much of the time.

Eric Decker 6-3 listed at 214, 3rd round draft pick - Rookie year 0 starts, 6 rec 106 yards - 2nd year 13 starts 44 rec 612 yards and 8 TD's, with mostly Tebow at QB. 3rd year 15 starts 85 rec 1046 yards and 13 TDs ... yes with Manning - 4th year almost 1300 yards and 11 TDs; on the best offense, statistically in the history of the game. This year - 10 starts 47 rec 513 yards 4 TDS.

McCaffrey 6-5 215ish... 3rd round draft pick, had 16 catches his rookie year 176 yards, no starts - 3 starts his second year with 49 rec and 5 TD's 610 yards - 3rd year 1 start 27 rec 335 yards 2 TD's, that was with the NYG primarily with QB Phil Simms. 4th year with SF he had 0 starts, 11 rec ... he came to the Broncos for his 5th season (1995) managed to start in 5 games, 39 rec 477 yards 2 TD's - 2ndBroncos/6thNFL season he had 15 starts 48 rec 553 yards 7 TDS ... from then thru 2000 he started 15+ games a year and did have over 1,000 yards in 98,99 and 2000, 10 TDs in 1998 was the most he had in a season, had 9 in 2000 with ... QB Greise?

Decker and McCaffrey are similar "type" of WR ("possession" type), McCaffrey was little bigger - maybe slower and tough as nails, he had a fairly long career 13? years. Ed is one of my favorite WRs of all time, I'm a big fan. They are similar in most every way except Ed was tough as nails and Eric doesn't play that tough ... yet, he IS only in his 5th season - maybe he'll learn to be more "physical" but in today's NFL that might draw flags.

Sanders is at least quicker and he does give us a deep threat, Decker not so much. Decker and Sanders are quite different but both are good WRs with different styles. I like how Sanders compliments/fits our WR corp/pass game. Sanders is more dynamic and can do more than play a role, Decker is more of a role player, not as dynamic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            Decker was/is a solid WR and he played like it. Sure he got a name for looking for flags (maybe deserved at times but that's not what defines his career to this point), I see plenty of WR's looking for PI calls much of the time.

Eric Decker 6-3 listed at 214, 3rd round draft pick - Rookie year 0 starts, 6 rec 106 yards - 2nd year 13 starts 44 rec 612 yards and 8 TD's, with mostly Tebow at QB. 3rd year 15 starts 85 rec 1046 yards and 13 TDs ... yes with Manning - 4th year almost 1300 yards and 11 TDs; on the best offense, statistically in the history of the game. This year - 10 starts 47 rec 513 yards 4 TDS.

McCaffrey 6-5 215ish... 3rd round draft pick, had 16 catches his rookie year 176 yards, no starts - 3 starts his second year with 49 rec and 5 TD's 610 yards - 3rd year 1 start 27 rec 335 yards 2 TD's, that was with the NYG primarily with QB Phil Simms. 4th year with SF he had 0 starts, 11 rec ... he came to the Broncos for his 5th season (1995) managed to start in 5 games, 39 rec 477 yards 2 TD's - 2ndBroncos/6thNFL season he had 15 starts 48 rec 553 yards 7 TDS ... from then thru 2000 he started 15+ games a year and did have over 1,000 yards in 98,99 and 2000, 10 TDs in 1998 was the most he had in a season, had 9 in 2000 with ... QB Greise?

Decker and McCaffrey are similar "type" of WR ("possession" type), McCaffrey was little bigger - maybe slower and tough as nails, he had a fairly long career 13? years. Ed is one of my favorite WRs of all time, I'm a big fan. They are similar in most every way except Ed was tough as nails and Eric doesn't play that tough ... yet, he IS only in his 5th season - maybe he'll learn to be more "physical" but in today's NFL that might draw flags.

Sanders is at least quicker and he does give us a deep threat, Decker not so much. Decker and Sanders are quite different but both are good WRs with different styles. I like how Sanders compliments/fits our WR corp/pass game. Sanders is more dynamic and can do more than play a role, Decker is more of a role player, not as dynamic.
                            good solid post.

I point out your first paragraph because of the muggings going on in the past few years the ROE this year is supposed to be NO contact after 5 yards.

But then we see it sliding back to down field muggings depending on the ref crew.

I suspect that next year it will be another hot button ROE .

I still have me Eddie Mac jersey in the closet and wear it from time to time. Will never forget September 10 , 2001.

Comment

Working...
                            X