Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos have made contract offers to star wide receiver Demaryius and Julius Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos have made contract offers to star wide receiver Demaryius and Julius Thomas

The Denver Broncos have made contract offers to star wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and tight end Julius Thomas and will continue negotiating with both players after training camp opens July 24, Broncos general manager John Elway said Wednesday.

"Nothing is going to get done before camp, but we'll keep talking to them in camp," Elway told USA TODAY Sports after playing a practice round of golf at the American Century Championship near Lake Tahoe.

Both Thomases are entering the final years of their rookie contracts, Demaryius as a first-round pick from 2010, and Julius as a fourth-rounder in 2011. They combined for 157 catches, 2,218 receiving yards and 26 touchdowns in Denver's record-setting offense last year.

The Broncos declined to continue contract talks into training camp two years ago with left tackle Ryan Clady (he reached a long-term deal with the team last July after receiving the franchise tag), but Elway said he won't break off talks with either Thomas until early August.

"I'm never going to go into the season, but the first couple of weeks, we can continue to talk about it. After the second week of the preseason, we'll want to have had something done, one way or another."

Demaryius Thomas, coming off back-to-back 1,400-yard seasons, is on the verge of superstardom and fast becoming one of the league's elite receivers. He caught 14 touchdowns last year, plus three more in the postseason.

Julius Thomas, meanwhile, had a breakout season in 2013, with 65 catches and 12 touchdowns in his first full season. He played in only nine games, with only one start, in his first two injury-plagued seasons.

Elway said the Broncos have not received a response from Thomas' representatives following the Broncos' offer, believing that Thomas' camp wanted to see how New Orleans' Jimmy Graham's grievance against the NFL and subsequent contract negotiations played out.

An NFL arbitrator ruled that Graham should be considered a tight end for franchise tag purposes, and on Tuesday, he agreed to a four-year, $40 million deal, including a $13 million guaranteed in 2014. Graham has had at least 85 catches each of the last three seasons, and he led all players in touchdown catches last year, with 16.

"Even though Julius had a tremendous year for us, he's only (played) 23 games. We want Julius to be a Bronco for a long time and we think he has tremendous upside, but he's not at that level," Elway said.

source: Lindsay Jones, USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...lway/12755057/

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi
    Regarding DT, his offer would put him among the five highest-paid receivers in the NFL. They're negotiating the guarantees.

Comment

I like this news.....

yessir, I do .
      sigpic

Comment

Everyone this is coach speak, everyone knows all are FA will walk to bottom feeders who overpay. /s
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Hopefully they will not be too greedy and be long term Broncos.
          sigpic
          Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
          2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
          2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

i always think they can make Broncos go farther. Young guys plus Aaron Rodgers, go Broncos.

Comment

Just sit back and enjoy the artistic workings of John Elway (not unlike the ole' days) ....... BO BRONCOS
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I like this approach of offering contracts going into final rookie years. If a guy is a core contributor, lock him up..trying to get one more cheap year out of a rookie never made much sense to me.

Hopefully we do the same Trevathan as he has really outplayed his pay, as well as Malik Jackson next year.
                Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                  Everyone this is coach speak, everyone knows all are FA will walk to bottom feeders who overpay. /s
                  Are you all gullible enough to think their agents are going to allow either DT or JT to sign for less than the next years top five money.

Let alone sign before the leaders in this crop of UFAs sign. In DTs case Dez and Julio.

As it stands right now Jihn is going to have to come up with some serious cash to make this happen and the cap room now is about 4.6 mil and from all reports Pat is out of signing money cash. Which I would guess will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 mil.

We all know what the TE leader is worth now everyone will fall In Behind him or be tagged.

I do not think their agents are stupid. They know that the cap goes up next year and some bottom feeder will have a hell of a lot more cap room than we do.
                  Last edited by Garfield; 07-18-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                    Are you all gullible enough to think their agents are going to allow either DT or JT to sign for less than the next years top five money.

Let alone sign before the leaders in this crop of UFAs sign. In DTs case Dez and Julio.

As it stands right now Jihn is going to have to come up with some serious cash to make this happen and the cap room now is about 4.6 mil and from all reports Pat is out of signing money cash. Which I would guess will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 mil.

We all know what the TE leader is worth now everyone will fall In Behind him or be tagged.

I do not think their agents are stupid. They know that the cap goes up next year and some bottom feeder will have a hell of a lot more cap room than we do.
                    Agreed. This is one of the few things I hate about the NFL. No one stays with a team their entire career anymore. Yes, there are exceptions. I really wish there was some sort of NBA style max contract with incentives to re-sign with the player's current team.

DT is a guy that I would really like to see stay on this team, because he's not only a hell of a player but seems to be a really good person too. Not many of those in the NFL anymore that have talent and character.

Comment

Then why did Sherman and Earl Thomas sign when they could have hit FA and got more than they did from a bottom-feeders like you LOVE to say,

If the offer is fair, and the player/agents think it's fair, why is it crazy for them to sign?

To the bottom, we wont have as much as bottom-feeders, but we'll have enough to sign both or sign one/tag the other. After that is a better question.

But keep spewing what you do.

We were able to sign Ward, Ware, Talib, Sanders, yet you think we couldnt fit in a couple mil on this years cap?

And Julio isnt even a FA, Dez, yes but why does DT have to sign before Dez?

I would guess they're offering something like 5 years, 60-66 mil mil for DT and 5 years, 35-40 mil for JT.

And Vic said the offer for DT is top-5 money but thats just coach speak as you say, right?

If this is true, do you think they can get more?

JT has had one good season while not even playing a full-16 yet so it's a risk for Den to give him that much but also a risk to wait and maybe make him cost a little more to sign.
                      Last edited by ERoyal248; 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

By all reports? What reports? And who would know if Pat was out of signing money? Just being the owner of such a valuable Team would give him access to funds 99.9% of us couldn't even dream about.
                        Sounds like someone trying to act like they know more than they really do.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningWolf View Post
                          By all reports? What reports? And who would know if Pat was out of signing money? Just being the owner of such a valuable Team would give him access to funds 99.9% of us couldn't even dream about.
                          Sounds like someone trying to act like they know more than they really do.
                          Earlier in the year whe. When we had about 12-13 million left John said the signing bonus money that was budgeted was gone and that no other big name UFA would unlikely to be signed.

Everyone has been saying Pat was broke since the last couple of shanahans regime.

The truth was that Pat and Joe finally held him and everyone since to a budget on available cash. Which is what is needed for upfront money or as many call signing bonuses.

That is now cash on hand which is used for expenses, then he has to have enough money on hand for making weekly payroll during the season.

Until then they have TC expenses which is food shelter and per diem for the players.

Now will Pat loan the team money to sign additional upcoming FA for signing bonuses or will they stay to budget that has worked so well for the last near decade?

The comment about having to have this done before TC starts has now been extended back into preseason. Which leads me to believe they are WAY far apart in money. Which bodes bad for getting it done.

Comment

Earlier in the year whe. When we had about 12-13 million left John said the signing bonus money that was budgeted was gone and that no other big name UFA would unlikely to be signed.

Everyone has been saying Pat was broke since the last couple of shanahans regime.

The truth was that Pat and Joe finally held him and everyone since to a budget on available cash. Which is what is needed for upfront money or as many call signing bonuses.

That is now cash on hand which is used for expenses, then he has to have enough money on hand for making weekly payroll during the season.

Until then they have TC expenses which is food shelter and per diem for the players.

Now will Pat loan the team money to sign additional upcoming FA for signing bonuses or will they stay to budget that has worked so well for the last near decade?

The comment about having to have this done before TC starts has now been extended back into preseason. Which leads me to believe they are WAY far apart in money. Which bodes bad for getting it done.
                            Pat Bowlen was probably just talking in coach speak so why should we believe him?
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                              Then why did Sherman and Earl Thomas sign when they could have hit FA and got more than they did from a bottom-feeders like you LOVE to say,

If the offer is fair, and the player/agents think it's fair, why is it crazy for them to sign?

To the bottom, we wont have as much as bottom-feeders, but we'll have enough to sign both or sign one/tag the other. After that is a better question.

But keep spewing what you do.

We were able to sign Ward, Ware, Talib, Sanders, yet you think we couldnt fit in a couple mil on this years cap?

And Julio isnt even a FA, Dez, yes but why does DT have to sign before Dez?

I would guess they're offering something like 5 years, 60-66 mil mil for DT and 5 years, 35-40 mil for JT.

And Vic said the offer for DT is top-5 money but thats just coach speak as you say, right?

If this is true, do you think they can get more?

JT has had one good season while not even playing a full-16 yet so it's a risk for Den to give him that much but also a risk to wait and maybe make him cost a little more to sign.
                              The hawks got a fair offer and decided to get the money up front.

Vic says. Where do you think he got this tripe. Someone whispered into his ear to gin up the fans. It was easy for him to report as it was headlines for more ad revenue for him.

You keep believing in fairy tales.
                              I'll believe in sound business practices.

If they sign him today there is zero immediate revenue stream for them. They are not going to sell anymore tickets. Only outgoing upfront expenses.

I'll repeat it again hype for the huddled masses that are eager to here ANY news.

If they do not get anything done other than extend the news cycle the they can blame it on a greedy agent at best at worst greedy player.

Comment

Working...
                              X