Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronnie Hillman drawing raves from Broncos coaches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hillman is still very young so there is plenty of room for development, both physically and mentally. At the same time, it's hard to buy the hype before the games begin because we need to see him getting hit in real action to see if his ball security has improved. Also, considering how light and small he is, I'd like to see him make people miss in the open field.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
      Hillman is still very young so there is plenty of room for development, both physically and mentally. At the same time, it's hard to buy the hype before the games begin because we need to see him getting hit in real action to see if his ball security has improved. Also, considering how light and small he is, I'd like to see him make people miss in the open field.
      his main problem is hand size. You cant correct his small hands, ever! He has been continuously stripped since entering the NFL and puts this team at risk every time he touches the ball. Time will tell but I have a feeling we see the same Ronnie Hillman as last year. Seattle will be a great test.

      Any salary cap guys know how much the Broncos will have to play will if Hillman gets cut?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        his main problem is hand size. You cant correct his small hands, ever! He has been continuously stripped since entering the NFL and puts this team at risk every time he touches the ball. Time will tell but I have a feeling we see the same Ronnie Hillman as last year. Seattle will be a great test.

        Any salary cap guys know how much the Broncos will have to play will if Hillman gets cut?
        I think it would cost about $350k in dead cap and would save about $460k. His cap hit for this year if he sticks around is only like $810k.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
          I think it would cost about $350k in dead cap and would save about $460k. His cap hit for this year if he sticks around is only like $810k.
          so McGahee type vet would run the Broncos 855-955 so reality your looking at an additional 500k hit to upgrade the position for one year.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            If we stop using Hillman how SD used Sproles his last year in SD and start using Hillman how NO used Sproles his first year in NO every will be happy with him.

            It is amazing how much better a player can appear to be just in how coaches get him the ball

            Of course this observation is based on 2012 because we did not see much of Hillman at all in 2013 because of other issues that need to be corrected before we can even really consider how he is being used.
            Yes, so far I think they have used him mostly between the tackles when his strength, I would think is outside the tackles and getting him the ball in the open field, probably via short passes. He should be considered a "Sproles type" back.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
              so McGahee type vet would run the Broncos 855-955 so reality your looking at an additional 500k hit to upgrade the position for one year.
              Yep, and that is if they agree for the vet minimum.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                I really hope that the annual Hillman hype is real this year. That would be great for him and the Broncos. But, we've heard this all before. I've never seen much of anything. The speed has never been noticeable. When he gets hit it looks like what physics should. That's not a good thing for a small back. He's always looked a bit overmatched.
                Dude I am just glad I do not have to hear about the 2009 draft class hype anymore.

                If I had to go through another year of people saying "this is the year Ayers runs wild" I may have to do something crazy like run over a pokemon stuffy with my car.

                5 years of Moreno/Ayers hype was about as much orange colored glass talk that I am able to deal with
                Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  so McGahee type vet would run the Broncos 855-955 so reality your looking at an additional 500k hit to upgrade the position for one year.
                  Upgrade? in 2012 (last season with the Broncos) McGahee had 5 fumbles on 167 carries. Over his career, he basically fumbled the ball once every 80 carries. I think I will take my chances on a young guy who is working to get his body and strength up to the NFL level. Fumbling can be fixed, whereas age and injuries cannot.
                  sigpic

                  Defense wins championships

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Hillman is still very young so there is plenty of room for development, both physically and mentally. At the same time, it's hard to buy the hype before the games begin because we need to see him getting hit in real action to see if his ball security has improved. Also, considering how light and small he is, I'd like to see him make people miss in the open field.

                    Yeah I Heard that on the radio .... isn't he THE youngest player in the league .... last season or now or something? in his 2nd year no less
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                      Yeah I Heard that on the radio .... isn't he THE youngest player in the league .... last season or now or something? in his 2nd year no less
                      I think he was the youngest when he was drafted. he will be 23 next month.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I think the Broncos are going to go with an old skool style of three RB rotation.

                        In my earliest memories of the NFL, the three-headed backfield was both prevalent and successful: the '72 Dolphins had Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick, the 70's Steelers had Franco Harris, Rocky Bleir and Frenchy Fuqua, the 70's Raiders had fullback Mark van Eeghan, Clearance Davis and Pete Banaszk, and the early 70's Cowboys had two sets, the '71 'Boys had Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Dan Reeves (our former coach) and Walt Garrison, and the late 70's version had Tony Dorsett, Preston Pearson and fullback Robert Newhouse.

                        BTW, those were all great teams for the ages

                        Now, that is not to say the Broncos backfield is on that level, but legitimately the most promising and exciting thing for me is how the Broncos three backs fit together. I think Ball, Hillman and Anderson all have the potential to add something really strong to the running game. If Ball can be good between the tackles, Hillman is at times a really good receiver and CJ Anderson has that low center-of-gravity, bowling ball style than can be dominant.

                        Can't wait to see how it all plays out.
                        Last edited by Idiot_Kicker; 08-06-2014, 10:03 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
                          I think the Broncos are going to go with an old skool style of three RB rotation.

                          In my earliest memories of the NFL, the three-headed backfield was both prevalent and successful: the '72 Dolphins had Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick, the 70's Steelers had Franco Harris, Rocky Bleir and Frenchy Fuqua, the 70's Raiders had fullback Mark van Eeghan, Clearance Davis and Pete Banaszk, and the early 70's Cowboys had two sets, the '71 'Boys had Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Dan Reeves (our former coach) and Walt Garrison, and the late 70's version had Tony Dorsett, Preston Pearson and fullback Robert Newhouse.

                          BTW, those were all great teams for the ages

                          Now, that is not to say the Broncos backfield is on that level, but legitimately the most promising and exciting thing for me is how the Broncos three backs fit together. I think Ball, Hillman and Anderson all have the potential to add something really strong to the running game. If Ball can be good between the tackles, Hillman is at times a really good receiver and CJ Anderson has that low center-of-gravity, bowling ball style than can be dominant.

                          Can't wait to see how it all plays out.
                          Overall you may be corret.

                          I just do not see that Hillman as we speak adds anything that Ball and CJ does not already do.

                          I have not heard or better yet seen that Hillman is a better receiver than Ball and CJ and we have not even added in all of the UDFAs in the stable, to the conversation.

                          Add in that Hillman was a speed bump last year in pass protect causes me to wonder how he will make the team, he is lighter than Fox likes for his RB's does not help him.

                          Regardless of Studesvilles comments about his attitude (which stunk last year) being better this year, size (overall and hands) causes me to believe he will NOT be a member of this team going forward.

                          Hillman's hand are SUPPOSEDLY smaller than average and one of the reasons he has had a tough time NOT BEING stripped.

                          Now that may not be true but odds are his butter fingers are a combination of that and defenders knowing he coughs it up will cause him to lose his job in Denver.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            he adds quickness burst speed that the others don't

                            He's been coined the Change of Pace back. We might not have seen that the way we all know it - but that's the hope... and that's what he brings that the others don't.
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                              he adds quickness burst speed that the others don't

                              He's been coined the Change of Pace back. We might not have seen that the way we all know it - but that's the hope... and that's what he brings that the others don't.
                              Yet it Makes zero difference if he can't get thru a hole.

                              Or better yet if he coughs it up after changing the pace.

                              Let's all see how he works out in preseason

                              Since he should be getting Balls reps let's see if he holds onto his balls.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I can't blame you for feeling the way you do. For the most part I trust our brass to know their players. And if he's not up to the job - they'll find someone who is. One thing that does bother me just a little though is that he's the same alma mader as John Fox. Might be a little favoritism there - it's possible. In fact I also feel the same about Oz ... with his connection to Elway's son. Again - just a little.

                                But the jury is not back yet on either. So I'll continue to believe in the process. It got us to a SB in 4 years to this point.
                                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X