Ronnie Hillman drawing raves from Broncos coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
    I think the Broncos are going to go with an old skool style of three RB rotation.

In my earliest memories of the NFL, the three-headed backfield was both prevalent and successful: the '72 Dolphins had Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick, the 70's Steelers had Franco Harris, Rocky Bleir and Frenchy Fuqua, the 70's Raiders had fullback Mark van Eeghan, Clearance Davis and Pete Banaszk, and the early 70's Cowboys had two sets, the '71 'Boys had Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Dan Reeves (our former coach) and Walt Garrison, and the late 70's version had Tony Dorsett, Preston Pearson and fullback Robert Newhouse.

BTW, those were all great teams for the ages

Now, that is not to say the Broncos backfield is on that level, but legitimately the most promising and exciting thing for me is how the Broncos three backs fit together. I think Ball, Hillman and Anderson all have the potential to add something really strong to the running game. If Ball can be good between the tackles, Hillman is at times a really good receiver and CJ Anderson has that low center-of-gravity, bowling ball style than can be dominant.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out.
    I don't see this at all or even possible in our offense. We may run more but we're not going to get away from a high pace offense. Our whole premise is quick pace to try to limit subs which is limiting rotations. If we sub guys we then have to slow play and let the D sub. Barring injury/poor play(fumbles) my bet is the Broncos try their best to settle in on one primary back.

Calling Ball the starter and giving him most of the 1st team reps up until his appendectomy would also seem to point to the fact they want a primary back not a committee.
    Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
      Overall you may be corret.

I just do not see that Hillman as we speak adds anything that Ball and CJ does not already do.

I have not heard or better yet seen that Hillman is a better receiver than Ball and CJ and we have not even added in all of the UDFAs in the stable, to the conversation.

Add in that Hillman was a speed bump last year in pass protect causes me to wonder how he will make the team, he is lighter than Fox likes for his RB's does not help him.

Regardless of Studesvilles comments about his attitude (which stunk last year) being better this year, size (overall and hands) causes me to believe he will NOT be a member of this team going forward.

Hillman's hand are SUPPOSEDLY smaller than average and one of the reasons he has had a tough time NOT BEING stripped.

Now that may not be true but odds are his butter fingers are a combination of that and defenders knowing he coughs it up will cause him to lose his job in Denver.
      This hand size thing is bs, lesean mccoy hands are .2 inches larger and he had 1 fumble last season. Darren sproles has 8 inch hands, half an inch smaller than Hillman. It's all about his functional strength and since he came in so young he was so far behind in the weight room
      Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-07-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
        This hand size thing is bs, lesean mccoy hands are .2 inches larger and he had 1 fumble last season. Darren sproles has 8 inch hands, half an inch smaller than Hillman. It's all about his functional strength and since he came in so young he was so far behind in the weight room
        It's always nice to hear some facts relevant to the conversation. Thanks.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The age thing again.

He had a full year going into last year to spend in the weight room did. It seem to help him

Ayers commented at one point he was trying to give adivse to him and the PR. Guy that is gone.

He said he was telling them from a defensive players standpoint. And he just walked away indifferent to his problem and even bigger the help ayers was trying to give.
          Last edited by Garfield; 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
            The age thing again.

He had a full year going into last year to spend in the weight room did. It seem to help him

Ayers commented at one point he was trying to give adivse to him and the PR. Guy that is gone.

He said he was telling them from a defensive players standpoint. And he just walked away indifferent to his problem.
            I don't know if you have much experience in football or the weight room but it takes YEARS to build muscle the RIGHT WAY. It also takes years to learn the right things about football and maybe Hillman thought like a lot of fans that Ayers isn't exactly a fountain of NFL experience, talent or knowledge.

Id also like to see a link where ayers said this cause I don't remember seeing or hearing that at all until a month ago.
            Last edited by crash123go; 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM.
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
              I don't know if you have much experience in football or the weight room but it takes YEARS to build muscle the RIGHT WAY. It also takes years to learn the right things about football and maybe Hillman thought like a lot of fans that Ayers isn't exactly a fountain of NFL experience, talent or knowledge.

Id also like to see a link where ayers said this cause I don't remember seeing or hearing that at all until a month ago.
              When a four year vet that was used as a strong rotational guy especially in run defense you listen as a newbie.
              That is unless you are to arrogant to do so.
              Last edited by Garfield; 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I see where your going but at a professional level if you haven't figured out Macros/Calories/Rest you have no business being a professional athlete. There is no secret to building muscle. The only thing stopping an individual at an NFL level is genetics. The body can only go so far based on the cards your given unless HGH is introduced.

I want Hillman to succeed like every Bronco fan but he is just limited physically. Small backs in todays NFL get blown up when they cant hit the corner. If Hillman puts size on he loses speed getting to the edge. Its almost a lose lose situation for his frame since he is not a freak of nature.

The kid works hard and if he is going to be successful this year he cant let up on the gas. I hope he proves all the haters wrong including myself.
                Last edited by rst08tierney; 08-07-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  I see where your going but at a professional level if you haven't figured out Macros/Calories/Rest you have no business being a professional athlete. There is no secret to building muscle. The only thing stopping an individual at an NFL level is genetics. The body can only go so far based on the cards your given unless HGH is introduced.

I want Hillman to succeed like every Bronco fan but he is just limited physically. Small backs in todays NFL get blown up when they cant hit the corner. If Hillman puts size on he loses speed getting to the edge. Its almost a lose lose situation for his frame since he is not a freak of nature.

The kid works hard and if he is going to be successful this year he cant let up on the gas. I hope he proves all the haters wrong including myself.
                  I disagree, 2 seasons at a sub par college and coming into the league not even able to drink legally, he was way behind in the weight room due to lack of time. Now that he's been in the nfl for 2 seasons working out with the best of the best he's finally starting to catch up and I think it'll finally show this season.

Comment

I disagree, 2 seasons at a sub par college and coming into the league not even able to drink legally, he was way behind in the weight room due to lack of time. Now that he's been in the nfl for 2 seasons working out with the best of the best he's finally starting to catch up and I think it'll finally show this season.
                    Sub par college? You mean the one that produced Fred Dryer, Herm Edwards, Marshall Faulk, Claudie Minor, Haven Moses, Ephraim Salaam, Brian Sipe and over a hundred other pro football players? That one?

Comment

Ronnie broke Faulks school records

You don't do that not knowing how to put work in.

Freshman in high school can use the excuse of being behind in the weight room. SDSU has a great program and staff keeping an eye on their investments. Their football program is all about progressing to the next level, the NFL
                      Last edited by rst08tierney; 08-07-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Young/old, lack of weight room time or not, sub-par college or not; Thompson and Bibbs' showing last night did not do anything to help Hillman secure a spot on the team.
                        sigpic

Comment

At this point it's becoming clearer that Hillman must be some kind of practice stud because his live game performance doesn't look like much to me. He looks noticeably bigger but still plays like he could get tackled and driven to the ground easily by a drunk Andy Dick.
                          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

If Montee Ball hadn't gotten appendicitis, Hillman wouldn't have seen the field until the second quarter with the second team offense. He played against Seattle's first team and showed good power on his TD run, the only points scored by Denver's first team O.

Juwan Thompson and Kapri Bibbs were impressive against second and third team defenses. A valid comparison would be to start them against veteran first team defenses in the upcoming preseason games. :2cents:
                            Last edited by samparnell; 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM. Reason: delete redundancy

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                              Young/old, lack of weight room time or not, sub-par college or not; Thompson and Bibbs' showing last night did not do anything to help Hillman secure a spot on the team.
                              No, Hillmans performance, which was very good, is helping him secure his roster spot. He ran with power, broke a couple tackles and had some very good runs. Hillman will make the team as the number 2
                              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

No, Hillmans performance, which was very good, is helping him secure his roster spot. He ran with power, broke a couple tackles and had some very good runs. Hillman will make the team as the number 2
                                I think he will make the team but #2 is still undecided. Thompson and Bibbs both looked good in their reps and very well might see more reps with the 1s and 2s. CJ may not even play for a week or 2 and if so those 2 guys will definitely get more reps and 1 of them could beat out Hillman.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X