Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The Denver Broncos Should Only Roster 2 Quarterbacks In 2014

-Why The Denver Broncos Should Only Roster 2 Quarterbacks In 2014-

"Over the last year, I’ve been a proponent of Zac Dysert. Honestly, I felt like he had a stronger preseason in 2013 than Brock Osweiler did. The Broncos obviously were impressed enough by what they saw out of Dysert to justify a spot on the 53-man roster.

Here’s the thing though. Even though I was more impressed by Dysert last year, than I was by Osweiler, I was disappointed that they kept Dysert on the final roster.

I hate to invoke platitudes or cliches, but for a team that has “Super Bowl or Bust” aspirations, why keep a third QB on the roster?

If you’re an NFL team who has an unproven starting QB, or an injury-prone starter, then okay, I understand why you’d want to keep 3 guys.

But other than 2011, when Peyton Manning missed the entire season due to his neck injury, he has been a rock. He won’t miss, or come out of a game, as long as he’s conscious." ...

http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/...0the%20Network

Question: Should the Broncos only carry 2 QBs in the regular season?

Answer: Yes

Comment

I would be all for only keeping 2 if the backup was a solid option. Someone along the lines of Josh McCown or Mark Sanchez, someone who could come in and the coaches could trust that the new QB wouldn't run the offense into the ground.

Brock Osweiler, while still having potential, just isn't trustworthy though. He looked bad in the first preseason game and his ability is very uncertain.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
        I would be all for only keeping 2 if the backup was a solid option. Someone along the lines of Josh McCown or Mark Sanchez, someone who could come in and the coaches could trust that the new QB wouldn't run the offense into the ground.

Brock Osweiler, while still having potential, just isn't trustworthy though. He looked bad in the first preseason game and his ability is very uncertain.
        Huh? Those are solid backups? McCown maybe but Sanchez? I'm not certain why you feel he could even come close to running the system that Manning does.
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Why is it when a QB gets released people suddenly think he is a qualified backup? He got released because he could not get the job done-- yet it is cool when a backup does not get the job done?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
            Huh? Those are solid backups? McCown maybe but Sanchez? I'm not certain why you feel he could even come close to running the system that Manning does.
            http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/08/mark_sanchez_is_back_says_eagles_head_coach_chip_k elly.html

Sanchez managed to win playoff games as a rookie in one of the worst systems in the NFL. Much more than Osweiler has shown.

Comment

A back up QB is supposed to be able to give you a handful of wins while filling in for the starter. Mark Sanchez could very well do that as could Josh McCown. Can Oz do that? I don't know.

The reality is, it doesn't matter. If Manning goes down, I don't think the Broncos can generate a running game to support Oz or any other back up to keep the team in contention.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/08/mark_sanchez_is_back_says_eagles_head_coach_chip_k elly.html

Sanchez managed to win playoff games as a rookie in one of the worst systems in the NFL. Much more than Osweiler has shown.
                Sanchez also gave the world this...

Plus Sanchez had the most turnovers in the NFL for 2 years while he was a QB with the Jets. Why would I want him QBing my team just cause his team won a playoff game YEARS ago?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
                  Sanchez also gave the world this...

Plus Sanchez had the most turnovers in the NFL for 2 years while he was a QB with the Jets. Why would I want him QBing my team just cause his team won a playoff game YEARS ago?
                  The guy got screwed, Brian Schottenheimer is one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league and Sanchez had terrible receivers. Very few QBs could have been any good playing for those teams.

I don't know if I would want him QBing my team, but I would prefer him over Osweiler and Dysert.

Comment

The guy got screwed, Brian Schottenheimer is one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league and Sanchez had terrible receivers. Very few QBs could have been any good playing for those teams.

I don't know if I would want him QBing my team, but I would prefer him over Osweiler and Dysert.
                    And why is that? Because Osweiler hasnt had a chance to prove himself? How else is he supposed to prove himself without getting a chance?

Why would you want a turnover machine over a guy with tons of unproven potential but the chance to be possibly very good?

We know who Mark Sanchez is, why not let Osweiler have a chance to become something before we throw him out for a "proven" backup who couldnt make it as a starter in this league?!
                    Last edited by AllEyezOnZach27; 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mark Sanchez is a playoff winning QB. I'd take him in a flash over Oz.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

And why is that? Because Osweiler hasnt had a chance to prove himself? How else is he supposed to prove himself without getting a chance?

Why would you want a turnover machine over a guy with tons of unproven potential but the chance to be possibly very good?

We know who Mark Sanchez is, why not let Osweiler have a chance to become something before we throw him out for a "proven" backup who couldnt make it as a starter in this league?!
                        Because if the Broncos are up 7 points in the AFC Championship and need to hold onto the lead but Manning goes down, Mark Sanchez will lead the Broncos to victory. He will make short, rhythmic throws and command the huddle. He will hit Demaryius, he will hit Julius, and the Broncos will live another week. He won't do anything outstanding, but he will keep the boat floating. Same with a Josh McCown, even a Charlie Whitehurst maybe.

Brock Osweiler comes in.. who the hell knows what will happen? He could throw 4 TDs in the 4th quarter, he could throw 4 INTs in the 4th quarter.

The point is this is-- if the Broncos had a reliable backup QB, they would only need to keep 2. Unfortunately, Brock Osweiler is unproved and unknown, he's a wildcard. He isn't trustworthy of being the solo backup QB, at this moment. Its not a knock on him, its a knock on his lack of experience/exposure to game situations.

Comment

OS may turn out to be a good QB. My issue with him so far is...how many scoring drives has he lead so far? Yes I know it's only preseason but I believe he only has 2 TDs in 2+ years of preseason play + some limited reps last year. One of those TDs was this year and not until the 4th quarter against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He just hasn't shown the ability to drive down the field consistently yet.
                          sigpic

Comment

I usually agree with the team carrying two QBs on the roster, but not this time. First of all, Elway decided to spend a draft pick on Dysert, so he is an investment. There is no reason to get rid of Dysert if he is doing a good job developing his game. Plus, Manning is near the end of the line. Very soon this team will need a new starter and Osweiler, if he is still on the roster, will need some competition.

Considering Manning's age and the draft pick invested in Dysert, I'd rather keep the two young QBs and let them battle for the starting job after Manning retires. Dysert could at the very least be our long-term backup.

The "Super Bowl or bust" mentality does not justify getting rid of Dysert and ignoring the future of this franchise. We would cut Dysert to keep a third/fourth-stringer/special teamer that probably would stay inactive and not make much difference in the Super Bowl run.

QB is the most important position on the roster. If there is a chance Dysert can become a good QB, we should keep him. The Patriots made an exception and carried four QBs in 2000 because the fourth QB was a guy named Tom Brady and they were intrigued by his potential. If they used the "Super Bowl or bust" mentality to carry only two QBs, ironically they would not have all those Super Bowls and the history of that franchise would have been quite different.
                            sigpic

Comment

Because if the Broncos are up 7 points in the AFC Championship and need to hold onto the lead but Manning goes down, Mark Sanchez will lead the Broncos to victory. He will make short, rhythmic throws and command the huddle. He will hit Demaryius, he will hit Julius, and the Broncos will live another week. He won't do anything outstanding, but he will keep the boat floating. Same with a Josh McCown, even a Charlie Whitehurst maybe.

Brock Osweiler comes in.. who the hell knows what will happen? He could throw 4 TDs in the 4th quarter, he could throw 4 INTs in the 4th quarter.

The point is this is-- if the Broncos had a reliable backup QB, they would only need to keep 2. Unfortunately, Brock Osweiler is unproved and unknown, he's a wildcard. He isn't trustworthy of being the solo backup QB, at this moment. Its not a knock on him, its a knock on his lack of experience/exposure to game situations.
                              Based on what? His leading the NFL in turnovers the last 2 years he started??

What makes Sanchez a competent back up QB? He struggles with accuracy, he turns the ball over all the time, hasnt shown he can carry a team on his back, needed a very strong defense and running game to win games. He is the last QB in the NFL that I would want in the huddle in PFM ever got hurt.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X