Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klee: Duck! Note to NFL: Let the flags fly

- Klee: Duck! Note to NFL: Let the flags fly -

"They were flagged for offensive holding, for defensive holding, for defensive holding again. They were flagged for a facemask, for pass interference, for delay of game. The Broncos were flagged 12 times in their first preseason game, almost double their average from last season.

Welcome to the new NFL. It is a kinder, gentler place.

"We know they want to see touchdowns. So they're trying to change the way we play on defense," Broncos cornerback Chris Harris said after a practice at Dove Valley.

Will it last?

That's the question, really. I doubt it, and the sentiment around Broncos camp is how the NFL is trying to slam home a point during the preseason, only to see the flags fade when the games get real.

But if it does continue? Woo, boy. Snag an elite quarterback in your fantasy football draft and prepare for more passing totals that threaten NFL record books.

"Oh, our offense is going to get all the calls," Harris told me.

The Broncos, who continue their preseason against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday at Levi's Stadium, should be keenly interested to see how the league officiates the 2014 season. With a passing game unrivaled in NFL history, the Broncos stand to benefit from those points of emphasis more than any other team.

But there's another reason the Broncos are smack in the middle of FlagMania. He plays quarterback." ...

http://gazette.com/klee-duck-note-to...rticle/1535669

So, the NFL is doing this because of Manning? I kept hearing this on Boston sports radio all week and I was stunned to hear it from the announcers during the NE v. Eagles game this week on air.

I just don't understand why the NFL would do this for one player. They certainly didn't seem to be bending the rules in favor of Manning in the Ravens game, that's for sure.

I just hope this isn't true. It just gives people more fodder to hate Manning, and it's ruining the game for everyone.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
      So, the NFL is doing this because of Manning? I kept hearing this on Boston sports radio all week and I was stunned to hear it from the announcers during the NE v. Eagles game this week on air.

I just don't understand why the NFL would do this for one player. They certainly didn't seem to be bending the rules in favor of Manning in the Ravens game, that's for sure.

I just hope this isn't true. It just gives people more fodder to hate Manning, and it's ruining the game for everyone.
      The NFL let the Seahawks' DBs hold all game, every game last year. You couldn't look at a QB without getting flagged after Flowers took Brady out a few years ago.
      They change the rules every year. The NFL is starting to turn into the NBA and its pissing me off.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

People like the NFL because it is entertaining to watch players compete. Occasionally, the NFL inserts itself in a manner that disrupts that competition and the result is not well received by the fan base-- remember the silly in the grasp rule.

I can never remember a time previous to Roger Goodell where there has been so many changes to the game that have chipped away at the fans enjoyment of the game.
        sigpic

Comment

I've watched small segments of exhibition games so far this year, and it appears that the NFL is now calling "tackling" and a certain amount of "touching". I don't doubt that we'll see some flags for making eye contact soon.

Yes, this will diminish a little once the season begins. This is the all too familiar "lets enforce it in the preseason" approach that this league takes. The question always remains, will they make that same call at the end of the season? I predict that they will make those calls if they are at the high end of the "guilty" spectrum, but will let the majority of the new infractions go, which is their MO.

I have written elsewhere that passing and O are up in the 2000s, especially since 2008. And part of it has to do with dynamic QBs, but a larger part is about the rule changes to protect QBs, WRs, and more. It has come to this.....if a player hits another player too hard it will probably be called. Playing D is a very difficult task, especially for DBacks in my opinion.

But I sure hope they don't help Ds by calling more holding infractions. Two wrongs.....

In the end I think this is more about "liability" than safety.

Comment

To be honest, I wish they stayed consistent. Either you call it or you don't. In 2005, when the enforcement rules changed, DBs like the Asante Samuel kind started getting more popular. Then, they again kept vacillating to the extent that in 2012 and 2013, the regular season had more PI and illegal contact calls on average but they let them play in the playoffs and the Ravens/Seahawks cashed in on it.

I honestly have no idea what to expect. Smart and talented DBs like Sherman, Revis, Peterson etc. are talented enough and will adapt, I feel. Guys like Brandon Browner who have the size but not the speed, would probably hurt if they called it more often.

My biggest question/issue is calls away from the ball if the QB never looked that way. Did it truly impact the play if the QB never looked his way for the ref to throw a flag? In those cases, the ref should just tuck it.
            Last edited by chad72; 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              The NFL let the Seahawks' DBs hold all game, every game last year.
              I think people are selling the Seahawks short when they say things like this. And here is why..

Don't get me wrong, I did see a lot of contact that was not called in the Super Bowl. However, to say every play of every game is just ridiculous.

As for "letting the flags fly", as someone else mentioned, I just want consistency. If they're going to flag it for one team, flag it for both. If they aren't going to flag it, don't flag it for either. But try to remain consistent. I'd much rather see the flags fly for both teams. Just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos fo life View Post
                I think people are selling the Seahawks short when they say things like this. And here is why..

Don't get me wrong, I did see a lot of contact that was not called in the Super Bowl. However, to say every play of every game is just ridiculous.

As for "letting the flags fly", as someone else mentioned, I just want consistency. If they're going to flag it for one team, flag it for both. If they aren't going to flag it, don't flag it for either. But try to remain consistent. I'd much rather see the flags fly for both teams. Just my $0.02
                That is that authors opinion. I can tell you that anytime I watch the seahawks, their average pass defense looked like the gif on that page.

Notice he didn't post any gifs to back up his claim that it happened "4% of the time"? 4% wouldn't spur the NFL to put a stop to it....

...after they made their money from Microsoft though.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                X