Broncos acquire K Brandon McManus from Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos acquire K Brandon McManus from Giants

Broncos acquired K Brandon McManus from the Giants in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick.
    The Giants were going to cut McManus, so they do well to get something back. McManus has made both of his field goal attempts this preseason and produced 10 touchbacks on 11 kickoffs. He'll fill in for suspended Matt Prater.
    Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=293077&spln=1

He'll probably at least be better than Ewald was.
    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Four Temple guys on the roster right now. Steve Watson is smiling somewhere.

So, McManus and Ewald try to kick each other off the team this week. Sweet!
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

McManus, 6-3, 201 pounds, holds Temple career records for points scored (338), field goals made (60) and attempted (83)
        Making 72% of your kicks isn't really an impressive stat line, but Prater only made 67% of his in college so it's hard to gauge I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
          Making 72% of your kicks isn't really an impressive stat line, but Prater only made 67% of his in college so it's hard to gauge I suppose.
          College kickers kick from wider hashmarks, and from a block, if I'm not mistaken.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Interesting that we gave something up (even if it's only a conditional 7th round pick) for someone who was just going to get cut anyway...
            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              College kickers kick from wider hashmarks, and from a block, if I'm not mistaken.
              Ya, and never know how good the snaps and holds are in college.
              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                Interesting that we gave something up (even if it's only a conditional 7th round pick) for someone who was just going to get cut anyway...
                I mentioned in another thread that teams will be willing to trade a late rd pick to secure their guy. This is the case with us.
                sigpic

Comment

They want those touchbacks, I'm sure that was a big factor in going after this guy. If he can do that at sea level then at altitude should be no problem. Ewald didn't seem able to get the touchbacks.
                  Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Kick return coverage has looked pretty crappy. I think the ability to create touchbacks was a big part of the equation here.
                    Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                      They want those touchbacks, I'm sure that was a big factor in going after this guy. If he can do that at sea level then at altitude should be no problem. Ewald didn't seem able to get the touchbacks.
                      Eliminate any return points probably two a year add in returns for good field advantage and you probably subtract near 50 points over the year we have to out score.

I'll take that over an occasional FG.

With our better D and a better OL odds are we are not going to need last second FGs.

Comment

It's probably telling that if Denver gave up a pick, Prater might be an eyelash from being done here. Of course I don't know the first thing about it but...

2 months ago someone reported here that someone on the Broncos got in trouble and Elway was PISSED. They even said he wanted the guy off the team. I think I heard it on 104.3 and even saw a post here about it..

But it was all hush hush and then the story died - some speculated it was a rumor. Maybe it wasn't
                        Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

He's not fat....... (srry Prater)

Looks like an actual athlete

They claim he kicked a 75 yard FG in practice
                          Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                            It's probably telling that if Denver gave up a pick, Prater might be an eyelash from being done here. Of course I don't know the first thing about it but...

2 months ago someone reported here that someone on the Broncos got in trouble and Elway was PISSED. They even said he wanted the guy off the team. I think I heard it on 104.3 and even saw a post here about it..

But it was all hush hush and then the story died - some speculated it was a rumor. Maybe it wasn't
                            I think you're spot on. You certainly don't have to give up anything like a pick to get a serviceable kicker. Now that we have, even a throw away pick, I have believe this could be a long term move if the kid has ability. Plus, he'd be a lot cheaper on a rookie contract than Prater.

Prater may want to cancel his subscription to Trendy Tattoo Weekly.
                            Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

the newbie impressed the Giants by knocking down kicks of 46 and 47 yards in the preseason. He also pegged a 75-yarder in practice, per The New York Times.

It sounds like the Eagles have kicker problems and Broncos FO didn't want to expose him to waivers due to the Eagles issues.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X