• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ewald was waived

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-32d21e9d6bd3

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
      Interesting that we gave something up (even if it's only a conditional 7th round pick) for someone who was just going to get cut anyway...
      Once cut, other teams would likely have dibs before Denver on the waiver wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
        Kick return coverage has looked pretty crappy. I think the ability to create touchbacks was a big part of the equation here.
        I agree. I cringe everything we kick off or receive a kick. Most of that is lasting affects from Holliday last season but like you saying, the coverage hasn't been that great either.
        ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_man23 View Post

Wow, that was fast. Guess they had seen enough. Can't say that I blame them.

Comment

Tweeted by Andrew Mason:

"Elway, on @850KOA: "I think he (McManus) can come in here & help us." Waiver priority claim (31) led to choice to trade to get their guy."

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
              the newbie impressed the Giants by knocking down kicks of 46 and 47 yards in the preseason. He also pegged a 75-yarder in practice, per The New York Times.

It sounds like the Eagles have kicker problems and Broncos FO didn't want to expose him to waivers due to the Eagles issues.
              I remember the same whining back when this nobody came along and challenged Elam OMG we can let Elam go he led the league in scoring. OMG how can they possibly get along without him.

Hey martha we have come along way baby form the days of Shananhan sqeaking out wins with long range FGs after allowing come back score from the other team, because our defense sucked and the offens was good between the 20 and sucked in the Red Zone.

Now we have Manning who out scored all but one team(3 points) while winning last year by 10-30 points.

Put on your big boy pants folks and not worry about some potential long range FGs.

Comment

Best part is the pick is conditional on McManus remaining on the team after Prater returns.

If he is great, keep him for 10+ years for Mr. Irrelevant (last pick of the 7th round next year)
                If he stinks, drop him and keep the pick.

Bypass waivers with a no risk high reward trade addressing a BIG concern within the organization moving forward (Prater one more strike and full year).

Elway Rules!

GB2

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                  I remember the same whining back when this nobody came along and challenged Elam OMG we can let Elam go he led the league in scoring. OMG how can they possibly get along without him.

Hey martha we have come along way baby form the days of Shananhan sqeaking out wins with long range FGs after allowing come back score from the other team, because our defense sucked and the offens was good between the 20 and sucked in the Red Zone.

Now we have Manning who out scored all but one team(3 points) while winning last year by 10-30 points.

Put on your big boy pants folks and not worry about some potential long range FGs.
                  Well there was the Dallas game last year....Just saying. But yeah, you are right, we don't have to rely on the kicker to win it for it us that often. But man I'd hate to loose the Super Bowl because of a missed FG attempt.

Comment

Giving up a conditional 7th rounder makes sense if you know this is the best kicker available. I am wondering if we can trade him again after our "idiot kicker" comes back from suspension? Maybe the front office can turn a 7th round pick into a 5th or 6th rounder from a team who is starving for a Kicker. I wish McManus well and say welcome to the greatest team on planet earth!
                    sigpic

Comment

This is why i say we could trade some backend roster guys for picks.

Lot of teams wont get who they want off waivers and might trade a low-pick for them.

This obviously being the case with us here.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolBreeze View Post
                        I agree. I cringe everything we kick off or receive a kick. Most of that is lasting affects from Holliday last season but like you saying, the coverage hasn't been that great either.
                        You sir are being far to kind. The coverage on our kicks has been down right awful. It's embarrassing. I for one was quite excited to see Burse use his speed and shiftiness. All but one kick which I remember him catching he was covered by no less than 3 Texans and most of the time I never saw a Denver jersey on screen. We had the same issue with Holiday.

I mean if we are serious about not blocking on ST then at least we need to get a big fat bulldozer of a guy to return kicks. At least that way they have some padding as to not get laid out if they try to return it.

Comment

Mike Klis @MikeKlis

7th-rd pick condition: Brandon McManus must be Broncos kicker when Matt Prater returns. Unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post

I think the kick offs, especially on the road are actually more important than hitting long range FGs... kick them into the end zone. If he can hit 75 yard FGs in NY he can probably get touchbacks all the time anywhere
                            On the other hand an extra 3 points at the ends of a half on a ... 67 yard FG can come in handy too.
                            sigpic

Comment

-Elway says Brandon McManus 'our guy'-

"After a whirlwind arrival to the Denver Broncos, which saw Brandon McManus kicking field goals for the team just two days after being acquired by the team, the Broncos have decided to keep McManus around for a bit.

The Broncos worked out another kicker Saturday -- former Washington State kicker Andrew Furney -- but when the initial cut to 53 players was made, McManus was still the kicker tabbed to fill in for Matt Prater. Prater is suspended for the first four games of the season for violations of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway was asked Saturday evening if he was still confident in McManus, who was 2-of-4 in the Broncos' preseason finale against the Dallas Cowboys Thursday night with misses from 52 and 54 yards -- both kicks were wide right -- to go with field goals from 20 and 40 yards." ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...cmanus-our-guy

Comment

Not enough gets said about BM.
                                We are sure lucky to have him. What a great trade that worked out to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X