No announcement yet.

Broncos running game needs to improve, or offense must change

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos running game needs to improve, or offense must change

At a paltry 3.2 yards per rush, Denver is among the least-efficient running teams in the NFL. The ugly statistic prompted this irreverent question to coach John Fox: Does your ground game stink?

"I wouldn't say it stinks. I think we're a work in progress. It's something we need to get better at," Fox told me Wednesday.

"What people forget is a year ago, we had a different starting running back. A year ago, we had a different group at offensive line. I think football is the ultimate team game, and running the football is an area where it's vital for communication and vital to knowing exactly what the guy next to you is going to do. And we're not a well-oiled machine at this point. "

Fox often chuckles when fans shouting from the cheap seats or second-guessers sitting in the press box offer unsolicited advice on how to fix what's wrong with the Broncos.

So here are my free ideas. Take them for what they're worth:

1) Experiment with personnel in the offensive line. Might it make sense to give Ben Garland some snaps at guard, while Orlando Franklin shifts back to tackle? Too often, it seems as if right tackle Chris Clark and center Manny Ramirez have been overmatched at the point of attack.

2) Montee Ball could use help at running back. If Kansas City can spell Jamaal Charles, one of the NFL's more dangerous rushers, with Knile Davis, then would it make sense to turn Denver's backfield into the two-headed monster Fox favored when he coached Carolina? Either C.J. Anderson or Juwan Thompson deserves more touches for Denver. My candidate would be Thompson, but take your pick.

Although the Broncos rank 29th among 32 NFL teams in yards per rush, Fox insisted to me it's too early to tinker with personnel in the offensive line or alter the rotation at running back.

"We just need to get better at what we're doing," Fox said. "This is a tough business. I've seen Bill Belichick and Tom Brady (of New England) answer questions about their offense after a tough day at the office. It happens."

The Broncos' identity is defined by quarterback Peyton Manning. His skill set dictates the style of offense played by Denver. That seems to make dollars and sense, as Manning is paid a handsome base salary of $15 million (plus bonus) to march teammates to the end zone and lead the Broncos down the road to a Super Bowl victory.

A year ago, Denver set an NFL record by averaging a stunning 37.9 points per game. Through three games this season, the Broncos are scoring 25 points per game, while trying to establish a more balanced attack. Without question, three games qualify as a small sample size, and with the stout Seattle defense among the early opposition, scoring opportunities might well come easier in the weeks ahead for Manning. But next on the schedule is Arizona, currently ranked No. 2 in the league in points allowed.

"They're real good against the run, and they've got excellent corners outside, which allow them to put a bunch of guys up there (in the box) and just dare you to throw," Manning said.

From Ryan Clady to Louis Vasquez, the Denver offensive line is masterful at protecting Manning, whose quick reads and fast release on throws minimize the potential for sacks. But the Broncos have been poor at opening lanes for Ball. Blocking for the run and pass are distinctly different skills.

So is it unrealistic to expect any NFL team to be great at running and passing the football?

"I don't think it's unrealistic for a team to be efficient at both. But I think it's unrealistic to put up huge numbers at both. ... I think it's hard," said Broncos tight end Julius Thomas, whose blocking skill has been panned by Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe.

With a 2-1 record, it's far too early for the Broncos to panic.

But if the efficiency of the offense fails to improve soon, something needs to change. If Denver falls from its status as the league's most intimidating offense, the hard choices for Fox would be: 1) Changing offensive personnel on the line and in the backfield; or 2) Reverting to the more Manning-dependent offense that worked beautifully a year ago, until it all came crashing down at the Super Bowl.

My guess: Ball, Ramirez and Clark would be wise to remember that NFL jobs are on the line every week, every game and every snap.

I don't know, but sometimes it seems like Fox is stubborn. Why not give Anderson and Thompson a legitimate shot instead of runs here and there. When I read comments like these, I feel angry. Oh well. Yuck, yuck! Golly gee, AH shucks!

I'm seeing other teams being efficient at both and putting great numbers at both the run and pass..Dallas, Bengals come to mind.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I am a little confused. We had a record-breaking offense last year. We were blowing teams out. Now the philosophy is we must commit to the running game. Whether that means 2 yards or fewer a carry. I think we should play lights out like last year. The passing game actually opened up our running game. I know we need to protect Manning. I also know the Defense can get winded when we score too quickly. It was better when we would get up by 20-30 points and then commit to the running game. Last year's philosophy got us to the Superbowl. The lack of committing to the running game would not have been the difference in that game. We came out flat and never got the intensity going to compete. Why would you change a system that was not broken???
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115
        I don't know, but sometimes it seems like Fox is stubborn. Why not give Anderson and Thompson a legitimate shot instead of runs here and there. When I read comments like these, I feel angry. Oh well. Yuck, yuck! Golly gee, AH shucks!

I'm seeing other teams being efficient at both and putting great numbers at both the run and pass..Dallas, Bengals come to mind.
        I think it is more Manning than Fox he does not want to substitute players thus giving the defense time to do so, he wants them dog tired at the end of each series. the closer you get to the EZ the more panting he wants to see as he comes up to the LOS.

SO while Fox is very conservative manning want to run them in the ground, causing them to go with the same 11 on teh field from start to finish, or force them time out this wasting one to get fresh bodies on the field.

Myself UNLESS Ball does something real fast I suspect we will be seeing CJ as the starter and Ball as relief.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco
          I am a little confused. We had a record-breaking offense last year. We were blowing teams out. Now the philosophy is we must commit to the running game. Whether that means 2 yards or fewer a carry. I think we should play lights out like last year. The passing game actually opened up our running game. I know we need to protect Manning. I also know the Defense can get winded when we score too quickly. It was better when we would get up by 20-30 points and then commit to the running game. Last year's philosophy got us to the Superbowl. The lack of committing to the running game would not have been the difference in that game. We came out flat and never got the intensity going to compete. Why would you change a system that was not broken???
          a decent run game makes the play action work.

the problem is this year over last is
          • Ball had surgery in TC thus was not in football shape day one.
          • They do not quite have confidence in CJ yet.
          • Hillman has been a BUST IMO
          • while franklin has done a good or better job in pass protect his pulling skills of a decent run game SUCK. He is NOT Beadles.
          • Clark who has done a better job at RT at pass protect, but sucks at run blocking.
          • Perhaps the most important part is Vasquez has been hobbled with a couple of injuries first a back (which has not healed Yet) and then ribs.

I see Franklin back at ORT and one of the back up OGs like Garland moved back inside. It is a matter of time. we can always keep a blocking TE into help Franklin if we need to on passing plays, he is gone next year anyway so do what you do best Fox put the best players in the best spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield
            a decent run game makes the play action work.

the problem is this year over last is
            • Ball had surgery in TC thus was not in football shape day one.
            • They do not quite have confidence in CJ yet.
            • Hillman has been a BUST IMO
            • while franklin has done a good or better job in pass protect his pulling skills of a decent run game SUCK. He is NOT Beadles.
            • Clark who has done a better job at RT at pass protect, but sucks at run blocking.
            • Perhaps the most important part is Vasquez has been hobbled with a couple of injuries first a back (which has not healed Yet) and then ribs.

I see Franklin back at ORT and one of the back up OGs like Garland moved back inside. It is a matter of time. we can always keep a blocking TE into help Franklin if we need to on passing plays, he is gone next year anyway so do what you do best Fox put the best players in the best spot.
            Agree with this.

Should have done that to begin with.

Keep O at RT, and sign a vet for guard which is a pretty easy position to play.

De La Puente could of been had under a mil and he's done well in Chi.

Comment

I like to run the ball. :thumb:

I think running the ball is cool.

Run Broncos, run.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell
                I like to run the ball. :thumb:

I think running the ball is cool.

Run Broncos, run.
                If only we could, that would be cool.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115
                  If only we could, that would be cool.
                  Sometimes I sit at the counter with a tray of snacks thinking about it.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248
                    Agree with this.

Should have done that to begin with.

Keep O at RT, and sign a vet for guard which is a pretty easy position to play.

De La Puente could of been had under a mil and he's done well in Chi.
                    Well we discussed to death before the draft and could have the pick of the litter on any OC or OG we wanted. for even less money teh next 4-5 years.

Hell even Richburg the OC form CSU IIRC has played for the NYGs not sure if he is a starter but remember seeing him in a few games.

Comment

Well we discussed to death before the draft and could have the pick of the litter on any OC or OG we wanted. for even less money teh next 4-5 years.

Hell even Richburg the OC form CSU IIRC has played for the NYGs not sure if he is a starter but remember seeing him in a few games.
                      Yeah i think Richburg starts for them with Schwartz out for a bit.

Bodine for the Bengals has been pretty good too, was picked in the 4th, could of had him instead of Schofield but we know what they say about hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248
                        Yeah i think Richburg starts for them with Schwartz out for a bit.

Bodine for the Bengals has been pretty good too, was picked in the 4th, could of had him instead of Schofield but we know what they say about hindsight.
                        unfortunately for some MINE was foresight.

I foresaw this potential upcoming debacle and now we are standing around holding our johnsons.

While I like our first two picks NOW we see that they are not quite ready for prime time.

Whereas richburg and Bodine are playing with good teams.
                        Last edited by Garfield; 10-04-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

The Broncos running game needs to improve dramatically and in a hurry we have to stop being one dimensional on offense.
                          sigpic

Comment

Myself UNLESS Ball does something real fast I suspect we will be seeing CJ as the starter and Ball as relief.
                            Oddly enough, CJ is inactive for today's game against the Cardinals. Maybe we'll see some Thompson today?
                            Last edited by JesseH; 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

We blew out an undefeated team by 21 with our QB throwing for 470+ yards and our WR having 220+ yards. Ya, we must change the run came and be able to run more cause we clearly cant pass the ball...
                              Denver Broncos
                              New York Yankees
                              New York Knicks
                              Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎