• Elway Speaks To The Team At Midseason Meeting

At season's halfway point, John Elway speaks in team meeting
    November, 6, 2014
    NOV 6
    5:45
    PM ET
    By Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com
    76COMMENTS3EMAILPRINT
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When it comes to formally speaking to the team he runs on a daily basis, Denver Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway picks his spots.

Following Sunday’s 22-point loss against the New England Patriots and with the Broncos halfway into whatever becomes of the season, Elway decided it was one of those spots.

“We took a punch in the mouth, but we’re going to get up and keep fighting,’’ said defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, one of the team’s five captains. “And Elway came in and talked to the team and let us know how he felt about the team midway through the season. He had good things to say, he had bad things to say. Now, we just focus on getting back on track and getting a streak going.’’

Last season Elway’s terse discussion of a preseason loss in Seattle -- he said last season “tirade was too strong’’ -- was a meeting several players credited, even during the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII, credited for hitting the reset button. When Elway recalled the team meeting last year he said it was about getting the Broncos “to have a mindset that want to be world champions.’’

Several players said following the Broncos’ practice on Thursday that Elway took an all-business, good-news, bad-news approach at a time when the Broncos have four AFC West games and five road matches over the final eight weeks of the regular season.

“Like I said, there were good things, there were bad things, we don’t get too high on the good things, we circle the bad things to get better,’’ Knighton said. “He had some good things to say and some bad things to say … He just wanted to make sure we’re doing everything at a championship level.’’

A fixture at Broncos’ practices and around the team’s suburban Denver complex, Elway doesn’t often formally speak to the team, letting the players conduct their day-to-day business with the coaching staff.

In addition to last August’s appearance in the team meeting, the Hall of Fame quarterback also spoke to the team before the group left for the Super Bowl this past January to talk about his experiences as a player in the title game.
    The pressure is on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...n-team-meeting
    Last edited by Houshmazode; 11-06-2014, 08:13 PM.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

I suspect the DUKE, let it be known that continued employment was contingent on acting like you want the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
      I suspect the DUKE, let it be known that continued employment was contingent on acting like you want the job.
      I certainly hope so.
      sigpic

Comment

This better be directed at more than the players.

It's not the GM's job to motivate players, and if is, than there's a serious issue with the coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedInOrange View Post

It's not the GM's job to motivate players, and if is, than there's a serious issue with the coaching.
          That's not exactly true. It's not false either...

My point is just to say that it is quite possible that a single man of John Elway's stature and credentials could surely hit home with guys a few rungs under him. Yes it's the coaching staff's job to 'motivate' the players as opposed to the executive - but John Elway is a different animal. If I were a player listening to Elway at a midseason discussion - I'd definitely respect what I was hearing (ok maybe I'm a little biased since Elway is my most favorite athlete of all time).

But I do get your point though too. Hopefully the coaching staff did hear some things that keep their noses to the grindstone. I sure wish we could have heard what he said though

But - the buck stops at John Elway. It is his job to do whatever he can and this was probably just part of it.
          Last edited by dizzolve; 11-06-2014, 11:51 PM.
          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

6-2 that's a problem? He probably told them " GREAT JOB" Keep up the great work! 12-4 no too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
              Yes!
              #swapping

Comment

Anyone with any sense at all would take what Elway said seriously.

But I have to agree with what was mentioned above -- if Elway knows he's the one who's going to have to be motivating the players and lighting a fire under them, then he knows just as well that the reason he's having to do that is because the coaching staff can't do it themselves, which is just embarrassing.

I hate to be doom and gloom here, but I think this team is broken. Denver has plenty of talent and they'll beat teams they're supposed to beat, but the coaching aspect of the team just falls short and it'll come back to haunt the team when they're up against an opponent with comparable talent and/or superior coaching. 'Nuff said.

Comment

JDR should watch his job. TDs before the half to Russell Wilson and Tom Brady, no sense of urgency to get the ball back and it made a big enough hole bigger. Penalties and mistakes preventing the D to get off the ball on 3rd down, not all of it is players, a lot of it is coaching too, IMO.

What happened to the 2012 version of this team? That team could come back, that team was more mentally tough, IMO. The last time they came back against playoff teams at home or on the road, IMO, was 2012, quality road wins vs the Chargers, Bengals and Ravens that year. Dumervil played a big part in a lot of those comebacks. Faxgate and now Pratergate. They played the eventual SB champs, the Ravens the best than anyone else, IMO. Pats lost 13-28 to that Ravens team. It was a pity Champ let Torrey Smith run past him twice. Well, that is water under the bridge but I just feel the mental tenacity has not been there since that divisional round loss if they have to rally from a sizeable deficit.

Now, the team can only win by being a frontrunner. Both the 2013 divisional round vs the Chargers and AFCCG vs the Patriots, the team played ahead and was a big reason why they won. If they have to come back vs a playoff team in a 4th qtr. in the playoffs, I do not like the Broncos odds, at home or on the road, to be honest.
                  Last edited by chad72; 11-07-2014, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                    6-2 that's a problem? He probably told them " GREAT JOB" Keep up the great work! 12-4 no too shabby.
                    We're not a middle of the pack team that will be satisfied with a 12-4 record and early playoff exit. The organization and fans have a lot invested into this season, probably our last best chance to win a super bowl with manning.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                      Um, this article says otherwise.
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

He was being sarcastic, I believe.

Comment

the difference of course, it's john elway speaking, not some oil tycoon giving a 'rah-rah' speech.

Comment

Elway holds a unique position for the Broncos in that he was a legendary multi-Super bowl QB along with being a GM. He holds more credibility than most GMs do in the NFL when he speaks.

Comment

"In addition to last August’s appearance in the team meeting, the Hall of Fame quarterback also spoke to the team before the group left for the Super Bowl this past January to talk about his experiences as a player in the title game. "

Crap, now we're gonna loose to the faders...

Comment

Working...
                              X